Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Firefly Pilot: Fox did the right thing...

Firefly Pilot: Fox did the right thing...

lurkinghorror

IIn article
<3MxCb.186279$(E-Mail Removed)>, Biz
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<XC5Cb.436858$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >
> > > OT, but its gretting really bad these days. NBC has had what I feel are
> > > some pretty good new shows, compared to all that reality crap, in "The

> Lyons
> > > Den", "Boomtown", and even "Mister Sterling", but none of them seem to

> have
> > > survived. I dont know what the heck those execs at NBC are thinking...

> > So many of the shows that I thought were interesting in the past few
> > years just didn't make it (Firefly, John Doe, even guilty pleasures
> > like Birds of Prey), but it's amazing the crap that did. I mean,
> > they're still running Survivor for crying out loud!
> >
> > - Jordan

> All 3 shows I actually liked as well...
> My friend and I have a running gag...if we like it, it probably is actually
> a pretty good show, aside from a few guilty pleasures over the years, but we
> are almost certain the show is doomed if we like it...

I've got that, too. So far this season the ONLY show I've enjoyed that
isn't cancelled or close to it is Joan of Arcadia. Maybe I should start
watching the reality shows!

LH

--
In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like
these.

Baron Greystone

> >> I mean, would Star Trek have gone on to be what it is if everyone
> >> hated Kirk?

> >I thought everyone DID hate Kirk?!

> No, everyone hated William Shatner!

I *like* Kirk, *and* William Shatner! So there!

--
"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on
the next seven generations."

jayembee

Edward Wedig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Remember how they really messed up the SA:AB airing?
>> Preemptions, moving around the schedule...

> SA:AB?

He meant S:AAB (SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND).

He is, however, wrong. S:AAB wasn't pre-empted any more than
most shows on any network are, and it hardly ever moved around
the schedule. Local stations might have bumped the episodes
to another day/time because the regular airing was delayed
until later in the evening by a football game, but the network
only moved its timeslot twice during the entire season, and
that was at the end of the season.

Sun 24 Sep 95 1x00 Pilot
Sun 01 Oct 95 1x01 The Farthest Man from Home
Sun 08 Oct 95 1x02 The Dark Side of the Sun
Sun 15 Oct 95 1x03 Mutiny
Sun 22 Oct 95 1x04 Ray Butts
[skips a week, probably for World Series]
Sun 05 Nov 95 1x05 Eyes
Sun 12 Nov 95 1x06 The Enemy
Sun 19 Nov 95 1x07 Hostile Visit
Sun 26 Nov 95 1x08 Choice or Chance
Sun 03 Dec 95 1x09 Stay with the Dead
[skips a week]
Sun 17 Dec 95 1x10 The River of Stars
[skips two weeks (Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve)]
Sun 07 Jan 96 1x11 Who Monitors the Birds?
Sun 14 Jan 96 1x12 Level of Necessity
[skips two weeks]
Sun 04 Feb 96 1x13 Never No More
Sun 11 Feb 96 1x14 The Angriest Angel
Sun 18 Feb 96 1x15 Toy Soldiers
[skips two weeks]
Sun 10 Mar 96 1x16 Dear Earth
[skips a week]
Sun 24 Mar 96 1x17 Pearly
[skips two weeks, and gets bumped to Friday]
Fri 12 Apr 96 1x18 R&R
Fri 19 Apr 96 1x19 Stardust
Sat 20 Apr 96 1x20 Sugar Dirt
[1x19/1x20 was a 2-parter shown on consecutive nights]
[skips five weeks (May Sweeps), moves back to Sunday]
Sun 26 May 96 1x21 If They Lay Us Down to Rest
Sun 02 Jun 96 1x22 Tell Our Moms We Done Our Best

The "skips" are, more often than not, reruns. And the pattern
for when those skips take place is not unusual for any network
series.

-- jayembee

Nat and Al Enquirer

"lurkinghorror" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:121220032337490001%lurkinghorror@cyberbeyond. gov...

-- snip --

> I've got that, too. So far this season the ONLY show I've enjoyed that
> isn't cancelled or close to it is Joan of Arcadia. Maybe I should start
> watching the reality shows!

No! No! Not that (except "The Amazing Race")!

We have been watching JoA and Tru Calling and enjoy them both. But as we
watch the Firefly DVD's (on number 4 now) we area struck with how inferior
both show are to JW'w work at his best. We are grateful for the FF DVDs but
are experiencing what many others have expressed here already, how
frustrating that they didn't at least get to wrap it up. We would have like
at _least_ 44 eps.

To paraphrase Charles Dicken's Oliver Twist, "Please, we want more!"

--
Respectfully,

_////|\\\\_ Celebrating seven years of Nat and Al (Sept. 19, 1996)
(-)= )|( =(-)
/ / | \ \ and
(_ ) | ( _)
//// | \\\\ Seven Years of Nat and Al Enquirer (Nov. 11, 1996)
(_____|_____)

Nat and Al

Jay G

I recently re-watched Serenity (the pilot) and
The Train Job (the first episode aired) as well,
and I've come to a conclusion: While very
good, Serenity is not the show that FOX
wanted.

I'm actually one of the few who liked The Train
Job as a first episode. I liked how it started
*in media res*, with all the characters already
aquanted with each other, yet still managed to
provide scenes that effectively served as intros
to these characters and their interaction with
each other. It was a novel and interesting
approach, and certainly different than the standard
first intro, which introduces the characters by
introducing the characters to each other.

That said, FOX still made a mistake.

FOX wanted a comedy, as showing The Train
Job first, as well as front loading the comedic
episodes, attests to. While Serenity has moments
of comedy, as well as some action, it is much more
dependant on characters and drama. It is not the
episode FOX was claiming it was in the early
promos, showing the "wacky" scenes from the
episode to the song "Walking on the Sun."

However, Serenity is the stronger episode. It
effectively mixes all of the elements that the show
is made up of in one episode. The comedy is
still there, but it's tempered by drama and
suspense, as well as a few good action scenes.
All the characters are given a moment to shine,
as opposed to The Train Job, which affords
only brief glimpses into some of the characters.
And of course, Serenity has a few surprises that
are ruined by shown in any other spot other than
first.

One of the most jarring transitions was the one
from The Train Job to the second episode,
Bushwacked. We go from an episode that was
for the most part light and breezy to a tight,
suspenseful one. Serenity set up the proper
context for the entire series, and without it,
an episode like Bushwacked comes
unexpected in regards to what was shown
before. As a result, a lot of people expressed
dislike of Bushwacked.

I think one result of watching the show as intended,
not just with Serenity first, but with all the other
shows in the proper order, is that it shows that
Whedon and Co. know how to present a show
much better than FOX does.

-Jay

Nat and Al Enquirer

"Jay G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

-- snip --

> I think one result of watching the show as intended,
> not just with Serenity first, but with all the other
> shows in the proper order, is that it shows that
> Whedon and Co. know how to present a show
> much better than FOX does.

As broadcast, it took us a good six episodes to feel we were not just
watching a good show, but were really going somewhere in a substantial way.
Watching it as shown on the DVD, it goes down so much smoother. Mmmmmm.

--
Respectfully,

_////|\\\\_ Celebrating seven years of Nat and Al (Sept. 19, 1996)
(-)= )|( =(-)
/ / | \ \ and
(_ ) | ( _)
//// | \\\\ Seven Years of Nat and Al Enquirer (Nov. 11, 1996)
(_____|_____)

Nat and Al

Lokari

"Nat and Al Enquirer"
<(E-Mail Removed). in.group> wrote:

>As broadcast, it took us a good six episodes to feel we were not just
>watching a good show, but were really going somewhere in a substantial way.
>Watching it as shown on the DVD, it goes down so much smoother. Mmmmmm.

Of course, you're going into the DVD experience already knowing that
you're about to watch an exceptional program. You've already asked
yourself the "Do I like this show or not?" question.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

Nat and Al Enquirer

"Lokari" <lokari@_spamsucks_lokari.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Nat and Al Enquirer"
> <(E-Mail Removed). in.group> wrote:
>
> >As broadcast, it took us a good six episodes to feel we were not just
> >watching a good show, but were really going somewhere in a substantial

way.
> >Watching it as shown on the DVD, it goes down so much smoother. Mmmmmm.

> Of course, you're going into the DVD experience already knowing that
> you're about to watch an exceptional program. You've already asked
> yourself the "Do I like this show or not?" question.

Very true. However, (and we can only speculate) we bet we would have been
on board in less than three if they had been shown in order. We are almost
shocked at how many times episodes referenced back to something that hadn't
been broadcast yet. Watching the show in broadcast order was not unlike
Book or Jayne lifting weights. Much more effort to achieve results.

--
Respectfully,

_////|\\\\_ Celebrating seven years of Nat and Al (Sept. 19, 1996)
(-)= )|( =(-)
/ / | \ \ and
//// | \\\\ Seven Years of Nat and Al Enquirer (Nov. 11, 1996)

Nat and Al

Waterperson77

>I mean, would Star Trek have gone on to be what it is if everyone
>hated Kirk?

the real question is would Star Trek have gone on to be what it is if the
original pilot was accepted and no one knew who Kirk or McCoy was, but everyone
would know who Captain Christopher Pike is?