Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Alien Quad vs. Alien Legacy?

Alien Quad vs. Alien Legacy?

Brian

Your comments are good. I feel the same way about AR. I can't decide if I
like it "OK" or if it is truly terrible.

I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

"MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Just out of curiosity, have you seen Alien Resurrection?
> >
> >> : )

> >--
> >BL

> Just saw it on TV a few weeks ago. Still can't make up my mind if it's

fairly
> good or totally horible.
>

> Best,
>
> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Brian

Alien 3 "Special Edition" is better than the original cut but still has the
original problems.

"Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1g5qzuv.1ovgyhhmoff4yN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinesc ribe.demon.co.uk...
> Jay Stewart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about the new cut for Alien 3. I will probably pick that one

up
> > when they release the 2-disc versions from the Quad separately.

> It's...interesting. I *think* it's an improvement, but it's difficult
> to say.

Black Locust

In article <brcq82$1v9fe$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Your comments are good. I feel the same way about AR. I can't decide if I
> like it "OK" or if it is truly terrible.
>
> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
it all.
--
BL

Peter Briggs

Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alien 3 "Special Edition" is better than the original cut but still has the
> original problems.

I'd concur with that.

Douglas Bailey

Black Locust wrote:
> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

> Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
> it all.

Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard to
be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

Actually, make that *three* someones: Mike D'Angelo's review of _A:R_ at
<http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/col24.html#alie.html> says...

"It should work, but it doesn't. In part, that's because Whedon...can't
write 'straight' dialogue worth a damn....[it] sounds as if it's been
culled from one of those unintentionally hilarious 1950's short subjects
that instructed teenagers about proper dating behavior. ('Hi, Sally. Say,
is that repulsive extraterrestrial lifeform still gestating in your womb?'
'Why, Tommy, don't be silly. The womb is for human babies. The alien's
right here next to my sternum.') Before long, I was rooting for the aliens,
if only in the hope that they'd shut up the humans up."

I'm in 100% agreement.

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey ((E-Mail Removed))---------------
It's all in the art of stopping...

Justin

Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:32 -0500]:
> Black Locust wrote:
>> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

>> Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
>> it all.

> Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard to
> be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.
>
> Actually, make that *three* someones: Mike D'Angelo's review of _A:R_ at
> <http://www.panix.com/~dangelo/col24.html#alie.html> says...
>
> "It should work, but it doesn't. In part, that's because Whedon...can't
> write 'straight' dialogue worth a damn....[it] sounds as if it's been
> culled from one of those unintentionally hilarious 1950's short subjects
> that instructed teenagers about proper dating behavior. ('Hi, Sally. Say,
> is that repulsive extraterrestrial lifeform still gestating in your womb?'
> 'Why, Tommy, don't be silly. The womb is for human babies. The alien's
> right here next to my sternum.') Before long, I was rooting for the aliens,
> if only in the hope that they'd shut up the humans up."

Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
left untouched?

Douglas Bailey

Justin wrote:
> Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:32 -0500]:
>> Black Locust wrote:

>>> Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
>>> it all.

>> Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard
>> to be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

> Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
> left untouched?

I haven't yet been through most of the first-draft script included on the
_A:R_ supplements disc. The handful of pages I *did* flip through, however
-- Ripley's early conversation with Wren and Gediman, the introduction of
the _Betty_'s crew -- make me think that the final script doesn't differ
too significantly in tone from Whedon's original writing.

But I'll welcome evidence to the contrary, if anyone has it. I'm not trying
to pick on Whedon: based on the documentary included on the supplements
disc, he seems to have had good intentions and genuinely wanted to do
something worthwhile with the series. And though I've never encountered it
myself, I'm willing to take the word of my friends that his writing is good
on _Buffy_, _Firefly_ and so on. I'm just unimpressed with this particular
example of his work.

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey ((E-Mail Removed))---------------
Don't you let my letter get you down...

Justin

Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:17:05 -0500]:
> Justin wrote:
>> Douglas Bailey wrote on [Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:32 -0500]:

>>> Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard
>>> to be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

>> Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
>> left untouched?

> I haven't yet been through most of the first-draft script included on the
> _A:R_ supplements disc. The handful of pages I *did* flip through, however
> -- Ripley's early conversation with Wren and Gediman, the introduction of
> the _Betty_'s crew -- make me think that the final script doesn't differ
> too significantly in tone from Whedon's original writing.
>
> But I'll welcome evidence to the contrary, if anyone has it. I'm not trying
> to pick on Whedon: based on the documentary included on the supplements
> disc, he seems to have had good intentions and genuinely wanted to do
> something worthwhile with the series.

From the man himself:

I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's
idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody
ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst
pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I
can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed
something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and
get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to
make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense
whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come
up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make
sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's
doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was
French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts
gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the
screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my
puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic,
"When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's
painful.

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub...ture_3731.html

Peter Briggs

Douglas Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Black Locust wrote:
> > "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I kind of liked the newborn and all but the dialogue in AR is horrendous.

> > Wow. Someone calling Joss Whedon's dialogue "horrendous." Now I've seen
> > it all.

> Make that *two* someones: I thought the _A:R_ dialogue was trying hard to
> be hip and quotable, but came off as ineffectual instead.

Can't we just say "appalling, childish crap, and leave it at that?"

The AR "I am the man with whom not to ****" line, unbelievably, is one
of several lines appearing in the current Paul Anderson "Alien vs
Predator" shooting script. Don't ask me why...

Peter Briggs

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Of course, how much of the dialogue was actually written by Whedon and
> left untouched?

Nearly everything?

Quad Drive Explorer Quad Drive Explorer (View 5 Drives at the same time).. scott93727@gmail.com Computer Information 0 09-25-2012 03:14 AM
Alien quad or Alien legacy Dragon DVD Video 6 09-16-2004 04:46 PM
ALIEN QUAD R2: Color more muted than R1? alex crouvier DVD Video 0 02-09-2004 04:52 PM
Alien Quad Vs 4 Dvds Dragon DVD Video 5 12-12-2003 09:29 PM
Alien Quad movies available individually Evil DVD Video 3 11-04-2003 08:11 PM

Advertisments