Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: wider screen on computer vs TV set top DVD player

Re: wider screen on computer vs TV set top DVD player

Colon Terminus

The jpg alledgedly from PowerDVD is 704 pixels wide. This corresponds to DVD
standards. The picture alledgedly from the set-top box is 640 pixels wide.
This corresponds to VGA standards. Something ain't right here. How, exactly,
does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

"Kendear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> It seems that I can play DVDs on the
> computer and get wider screen, than
> if I use a TV set top DVD player...
>
> The thing is, why? And I tried it
> on 3 set top DVD players that I have,
> and it is the same.
>
> I also tried to set the DVD player to
> Pan/Scan, Letter Box, and 16:9
> and still the same: I can't see the
> screen as wide as if I play it on the
> computer (Win XP and PowerDVD).
>
> Is there a way to solve this problem,
> so that we get the wider version also
> on TV? One solution is to use the
> computer to play it and output to a TV
> but it is too much trouble.

----

----

Skid

"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsKwAb.2510723$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The jpg alledgedly from PowerDVD is 704 pixels wide. This corresponds to

DVD
> standards. The picture alledgedly from the set-top box is 640 pixels wide.
> This corresponds to VGA standards. Something ain't right here. How,

exactly,
> does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

Interesting. I'll admit I took the post at face value. Now I wonder.

Kendear

Skid wrote:
> How, exactly, does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

I just captured a frame from the DVD playing on the PC, and then crop
out the part I see on TV (using the tree on the right and the
concrete wall on the left as a reference).

nospam

Kendear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:qtlBb.486552$Fm2.471632
@attbi_s04:

> Skid wrote:
> > How, exactly, does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

> I just captured a frame from the DVD playing on the PC, and then crop
> out the part I see on TV (using the tree on the right and the
> concrete wall on the left as a reference).

Apparently, no one else on Earth has anywhere near the level of overscan as
your pictures show. However, this problem can easily be fixed by buying any
SONY DVD player and any of their newer widescreen TV sets (2003 and later).
This will guarantee 100% of the picture area stored on the DVD will be
displayed on playback.