Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Bruce Almighty, Universal, and WHY I'M ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Almighty, Universal, and WHY I'M ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!

NightStalker

<Start rant>

Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
(oops - there's another one)

Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
for movies I don't want.

Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.

What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
somewhere in the middle?

This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.

On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.

Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, ****ed off? Huh?

And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</End of rant>
--

NightStalker

Michael S Cox

NightStalker wrote:

><Start rant>
>
>Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
>(oops - there's another one)
>
>Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
>I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
>promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
>out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
>want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
>movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
>for movies I don't want.
>
>Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
>this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
>NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.
>
>What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
>series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
>somewhere in the middle?
>
>This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
>seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
>Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.
>
>On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
>including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
>free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.
>
>Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, ****ed off? Huh?
>
>And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
></End of rant>

Many Sony and Yamaha DVD players include UOP override capbilities in
their advanced mod kits. The UOP (User Operation Prohibition) is the
feature that allows DVD's to disable various control buttons such as
skip, fast forward, menu, stop, pause, audio and subtitle select (to
name a few) in the player. Mod kits with UOP override prevent the player
from reading and enforcing these controls, thus restoring your ability
to skip, fast forward ... etc This is something to keep in mind when
next purchasing a DVD player

Oh, and by the way, I too share your wrath and anger at this annoying trend.

MichaelC

Codswallop

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:10:19 GMT, NightStalker wrote in aus.dvd:

> Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and
> although I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of
> bloody promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote
> was locked out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now,
> every time I want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes
> before the movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired
> old trailers for movies I don't want.

With my player, you can often hit STOP repeatedly as soon as you start
crap.

If it goes straight into the ads when hitting MENU, try playing Chapter
1 Title 1 if your player can do it.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Stan Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in
alt.video.dvd, NightStalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[unskippable commercials]
>This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
>seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet..

I'm surprised too. They have been very thoroughly discussed in this
newsgroup for weeks.

Of course, maybe you just bopped in and posted without looking at
any previous discussions....

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Oldus Fartus

NightStalker wrote:

> <Start rant>
>
> Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
> (oops - there's another one)

Well deserved rant snipped.

> Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, ****ed off? Huh?
>
> And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, and it is one other justification for ripping and copying any
DVD I get, and play the copy.

Try telling a youngster that the five or six minutes at the beginning of
a movie is necessary.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Shari

"NightStalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <Start rant>
>
> Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
> (oops - there's another one)
>
> Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
> I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
> promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
> out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
> want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
> movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
> for movies I don't want.
>
> Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
> this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
> NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.
>
> What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
> series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
> somewhere in the middle?
>
> This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
> seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
> Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.
>
> On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
> including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
> free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.
>
> Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, ****ed off? Huh?
>
> And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> </End of rant>
> --
>
> NightStalker

Return the DVD and state your reasons why, and request your money back.
Surely the distributor will get the message eventually if enough people do
it

ML

It's hella annoying, but luckily my dvd has a "autoplay main feature"
setting, so when it loads it goes straight to the movie, then i can click
"menu" if I actually want to go back.

--
main.luser [ML]
http://tinyurl.com/fbax

"NightStalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <Start rant>
>
> Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
> (oops - there's another one)
>
> Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
> I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
> promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
> out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
> want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
> movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
> for movies I don't want.
>
> Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
> this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
> NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.
>
> What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
> series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
> somewhere in the middle?
>
> This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
> seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
> Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.
>
> On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
> including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
> free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.
>
> Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, ****ed off? Huh?
>
> And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> </End of rant>
> --
>
> NightStalker

Me

I gotta admit, I love trailers. However I still believe in the idea of
having the freedom to skip them.

"ML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6xhAb.41680$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's hella annoying, but luckily my dvd has a "autoplay main feature"
> setting, so when it loads it goes straight to the movie, then i can click
> "menu" if I actually want to go back.
>
> --
> main.luser [ML]
> http://tinyurl.com/fbax
>

> "NightStalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > <Start rant>
> >
> > Please excuse the exclamation marks in the subject, but I am furious!
> > (oops - there's another one)
> >
> > Just received Bruce Almighty (from DVDBoxOffice in Canada) and although
> > I enjoyed the movie, I had to sit through several minutes of bloody
> > promos/trailers at the start, and every button on the remote was locked
> > out. Geez - even a VCR will fast forward past those. Now, every time I
> > want to watch that movie, I have to wait about 8 minutes before the
> > movie starts, and will have to sit through the same tired old trailers
> > for movies I don't want.
> >
> > Surely, some reviewer somewhere, or somebody with some clout, can raise
> > this point? Fer Chrissakes, I bought the DVD to watch Bruce Almighty -
> > NOT a load of crap trailers and intrusive advertising.
> >
> > What next - "A few messages from our trading partners folks" then a
> > series of ads for eveything from condoms to tampons, with washing powder
> > somewhere in the middle?
> >
> > This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
> > seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet... or is
> > Bruce Almighty the first one? It's certainly the first one I've seen.
> >
> > On the PC, I can use DVD IdlePro to ignore all that lockout stuff,
> > including the FBI warnings etc, as well as making the DVD-ROM region-
> > free. But in the home cinema I can't, dammit.
> >
> > Did I say I was furious, annoyed, angry, ****ed off? Huh?
> >
> > And for good measure:- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > </End of rant>
> > --
> >
> > NightStalker

Ray Macey

ML wrote:
> It's hella annoying, but luckily my dvd has a "autoplay main feature"
> setting, so when it loads it goes straight to the movie, then i can click
> "menu" if I actually want to go back.

Just out of curiosity, which dvd player is that?

Ray

luminos

"Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in
> alt.video.dvd, NightStalker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [unskippable commercials]
> >This is a nasty trend starting here, and I'm surprised that I haven't
> >seen or heard any howls of discontent from people about it yet..

> I'm surprised too. They have been very thoroughly discussed in this
> newsgroup for weeks.
>
> Of course, maybe you just bopped in and posted without looking at
> any previous discussions....
>
> --
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
> other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/faqget.htm

What an unuseful, and stupid, response. Why don't you learn something from
the dvdemystified.com folks, like how to write and how to be useful? And
why do yo pretend to have anything to do with them?