Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 4x blank DVD disks recordable on Sony Vaio computers?? - Newbie Q's

4x blank DVD disks recordable on Sony Vaio computers?? - Newbie Q's

Ron in Houston TX

1) Are Sony Vaio DVD+-RW drives compatible with 4x DVD+RW discs?

My brand new Sony Vaio desktop has a DVD+-RW drive and I'm still
trying to figure out the differences between all the blank disks at
the Electronics store.

At Best Buy I saw an insert in a blank disc package warning me that I
need the right equipment or upgrade to be able to use the 4x discs but
I've never had a real DVD recorder (or player) outside my computer.
That's what is confusing me. Are all blank DVD discs recordable on
Sony Vaio computers?

2) This newly bought desktop is my first DVD player (and recorder) so
what are the differences between 2x and 4x discs? I know 4x is faster
than 2x but in my VHS world that doesn't make any sense to me...

Thanks in Advance!

Ron

Skid

The owner's manual should tell you the specs of the burner in your Sony.

A faster drive and media allow you to burn DVDs faster -- if it takes 15
minutes at 4X it will take 30 minutes at 2X.

You can use 2X discs on a 4X drive or 2X discs on a 4X drive, but you will
burn at the slower speed in either case. The only way to get 4X burns is if
both the drive and disc are capable of the higher speed.

It's generally best to buy a small batch of discs until you've tested them
for compatibility at full-speed in both your burner and players. When you
find a brand that works consistently, you can save money buying in bulk.

"Ron in Houston TX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> 1) Are Sony Vaio DVD+-RW drives compatible with 4x DVD+RW discs?
>
> My brand new Sony Vaio desktop has a DVD+-RW drive and I'm still
> trying to figure out the differences between all the blank disks at
> the Electronics store.
>
> At Best Buy I saw an insert in a blank disc package warning me that I
> need the right equipment or upgrade to be able to use the 4x discs but
> I've never had a real DVD recorder (or player) outside my computer.
> That's what is confusing me. Are all blank DVD discs recordable on
> Sony Vaio computers?
>
> 2) This newly bought desktop is my first DVD player (and recorder) so
> what are the differences between 2x and 4x discs? I know 4x is faster
> than 2x but in my VHS world that doesn't make any sense to me...
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Ron

Ron in Houston TX

Skid:

Thank you so much for your help! I still can't find the info I'm
looking for in my owner's manual but your reply made things so much
clearer.

There is just another thing I don't understand. Suppose I record a
live TV program on a 2x DVD+RW disc and then try to duplicate it on a
4x DVD+R blank disc. Could I still take advantage of the 4x speed even
if the other disc is 2x?

Would the quality of the duplicate be the same? The DVD disc I want to
copy was made at home so I don't see how DVD X Copy Platinum is
necessary...

Thanks Again!

Ron

Padre

"Ron in Houston TX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Skid:
>
> Thank you so much for your help! I still can't find the info I'm
> looking for in my owner's manual but your reply made things so much
> clearer.
>
> There is just another thing I don't understand. Suppose I record a
> live TV program on a 2x DVD+RW disc and then try to duplicate it on a
> 4x DVD+R blank disc. Could I still take advantage of the 4x speed even
> if the other disc is 2x?
>
> Would the quality of the duplicate be the same? The DVD disc I want to
> copy was made at home so I don't see how DVD X Copy Platinum is
> necessary...
>
> Thanks Again!
>
> Ron

Ron,

You'll have to read the 2x DVD+RW to your hard disk (I suggest as an ISO
file), then write it back out. You can write it back out at 4x, if you have
the right media (and your PC can sustain the performance level needed).

Yup, the quality will be identical. DVDXCopy is only needed if you want to
make a copy of a commercial DVD (rental, owned, etc.) that has been
encrypted. For non-encrypted or home made DVDs, you can just read the source
to an image on your hard disk, then write it back out (as long as it's about
4.3gb).

Kevin

Gil

"Padre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Ron in Houston TX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Skid:
> >
> > Thank you so much for your help! I still can't find the info I'm
> > looking for in my owner's manual but your reply made things so much
> > clearer.
> >
> > There is just another thing I don't understand. Suppose I record a
> > live TV program on a 2x DVD+RW disc and then try to duplicate it on a
> > 4x DVD+R blank disc. Could I still take advantage of the 4x speed even
> > if the other disc is 2x?
> >
> > Would the quality of the duplicate be the same? The DVD disc I want to
> > copy was made at home so I don't see how DVD X Copy Platinum is
> > necessary...
> >
> > Thanks Again!
> >
> > Ron

> Ron,
>
> You'll have to read the 2x DVD+RW to your hard disk (I suggest as an ISO
> file), then write it back out. You can write it back out at 4x, if you have
> the right media (and your PC can sustain the performance level needed).
>
> Yup, the quality will be identical. DVDXCopy is only needed if you want to
> make a copy of a commercial DVD (rental, owned, etc.) that has been
> encrypted. For non-encrypted or home made DVDs, you can just read the source
> to an image on your hard disk, then write it back out (as long as it's about
> 4.3gb).
>
> Kevin

Or as on my Viao preinstalled with Drag n drop you can make a back up
copy in 20 minutes of an unencrypted DVD(R)

Jacques Ciana

"Gil" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message news:
> "Padre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Ron in Houston TX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Skid:
> > >
> > > Thank you so much for your help! I still can't find the info I'm
> > > looking for in my owner's manual but your reply made things so much
> > > clearer.
> > >
> > > There is just another thing I don't understand. Suppose I record a
> > > live TV program on a 2x DVD+RW disc and then try to duplicate it on a
> > > 4x DVD+R blank disc. Could I still take advantage of the 4x speed even
> > > if the other disc is 2x?
> > >
> > > Would the quality of the duplicate be the same? The DVD disc I want to
> > > copy was made at home so I don't see how DVD X Copy Platinum is
> > > necessary...
> > >
> > > Thanks Again!
> > >
> > > Ron

> > Ron,
> >
> > You'll have to read the 2x DVD+RW to your hard disk (I suggest as an ISO
> > file), then write it back out. You can write it back out at 4x, if you

have
> > the right media (and your PC can sustain the performance level needed).
> >
> > Yup, the quality will be identical. DVDXCopy is only needed if you want

> > make a copy of a commercial DVD (rental, owned, etc.) that has been
> > encrypted. For non-encrypted or home made DVDs, you can just read the

source
> > to an image on your hard disk, then write it back out (as long as it's

about
> > 4.3gb).
> >
> > Kevin

> Or as on my Viao preinstalled with Drag n drop you can make a back up
> copy in 20 minutes of an unencrypted DVD(R)

On my VIAO if I want to make copy with drag and drop, I should format the
disk first as a data disk; But it cannot be red on usual DVD stand alone
players (with some exceptions as Phonotrend 2800 player ..)

Kevin

"Jacques Ciana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Gil" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Padre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > "Ron in Houston TX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > > Ron,
> > >
> > > You'll have to read the 2x DVD+RW to your hard disk (I suggest as an ISO
> > > file), then write it back out. You can write it back out at 4x, if you

> have
> > > the right media (and your PC can sustain the performance level needed).
> > >
> > > Yup, the quality will be identical. DVDXCopy is only needed if you want

> > > make a copy of a commercial DVD (rental, owned, etc.) that has been
> > > encrypted. For non-encrypted or home made DVDs, you can just read the

> source
> > > to an image on your hard disk, then write it back out (as long as it's

> about
> > > 4.3gb).
> > >
> > > Kevin

> > Or as on my Viao preinstalled with Drag n drop you can make a back up
> > copy in 20 minutes of an unencrypted DVD(R)

> On my VIAO if I want to make copy with drag and drop, I should format the
> disk first as a data disk; But it cannot be red on usual DVD stand alone
> players (with some exceptions as Phonotrend 2800 player ..)

I think that is because it may not be designating the disk as a
DVD-Video format, rather a DVD-ROM format, which most DVD standalone
players won't recognize.