Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > RTL for Z8000 series CPU?

RTL for Z8000 series CPU?

ajcrm125

Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the
Z8001/Z8002 processor?
Thanks for any info!

-Adam

Antti Lukats

"ajcrm125" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the
> Z8001/Z8002 processor?
> Thanks for any info!
>
> -Adam
> (E-Mail Removed)

yes, sure!
www.zilog.com

I think some other entities have it also but not available.
the Z8 project at opencores is dead and unuseable, and there is little hope
that free z8000 core would exist

Antti

Grant Edwards

On 2005-12-23, Antti Lukats <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the
>> Z8001/Z8002 processor?

> yes, sure!
> www.zilog.com

So you're stating that Zilog has VHDL/Verilog for the Z8000
processor and it's available to the public?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! All of life is a blur
at of Republicans and meat!

Antti Lukats

"Grant Edwards" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2005-12-23, Antti Lukats <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get VHDL/Verilog source for the
>>> Z8001/Z8002 processor?

>> yes, sure!
>> www.zilog.com

> So you're stating that Zilog has VHDL/Verilog for the Z8000
> processor and it's available to the public?

I suppose, if you buy 51% of Zilog stock then its public for you

I stated where to get - not the amount of $$$ that is needed.

Antti

Monte Dalrymple

> >> yes, sure!
> >> www.zilog.com

> > So you're stating that Zilog has VHDL/Verilog for the Z8000
> > processor and it's available to the public?
> >

> I suppose, if you buy 51% of Zilog stock then its public for you
>
> I stated where to get - not the amount of $$$ that is needed.
>
> Antti

The Z8000 was designed before Verilog existed. I doubt that they
still even have the schematics. The Z8002 is available in Verilog
from www.systemyde.com , but it's not free. (But it's significantly
cheaper than buying half of Zilog.)

Monte

Peter Alfke

The Z8000 was designed at the transistor level by Shima, who also had
designed the 4004, 8008, 8080, and Z80. No logic diagram existed when I
got involved in the transfer to second-source AMD.
Those were the days..(1979/80). Hi, Monte!
Peter Alfke

Monte Dalrymple

"Peter Alfke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The Z8000 was designed at the transistor level by Shima, who also had
> designed the 4004, 8008, 8080, and Z80. No logic diagram existed when I
> got involved in the transfer to second-source AMD.
> Those were the days..(1979/80). Hi, Monte!
> Peter Alfke

Hello Peter, long time no see!

Yes, Shima's schematics were a nightmare to try to understand,
given that he only drew transistors, and there were only signal
names for signals that left a sheet. But if you laid the schematic
sheets out so that the signals matched up, you had a complete
floorplan of the device. And the transistors on the sheets were
good guides for the layout designers when they were doing
the layout, because the "density" of schematic transistors was
relatively proportional to the layout density. Not like today,
when I can describe a few thousand transistors in a couple of
pages of Verilog code...

I doubt that those schematics survive though, as they predated
the era of document control at Zilog.

Monte

ajcrm125

Looks like it back to sqaure one then.. doing it myself.
Too bad OpenCores doesn't have one. Maybe when I finish this one I can
submit it and save other poor saps like me the trouble.
-Adam

Peter Alfke

Adam, if I were you, I would contact Zilog. The Z8000 is their design,
they probably have some legal rights (patents must be expired, since
the Z8000 was introduced around 1980, but there may be copyrights etc
that live much longer).
The Z8000 had many fans, especially in the military markets. Maybe
Zilog will help you, in order to help their frustrated Z8000 users.
You never know. They may become your friend, and you definitely do not
want them as your enemy...
Peter Alfke (at Zilog only 1978-1980)

ajcrm125

How would I be violating anything if I made a Z8000 equivalent design
in Verilog/VHDL? I mean, if they had source for it, and I tweaked it
slightly and called it my own, I can see where that crosses the line.
But reverse engineering a design from its databook and creating a clone
isn't copyright infringement from what I understand.
What do you think?
-Adam

Realtek RTL 8180 Can't Connect to Netgear WGR 614 manish Wireless Networking 1 07-17-2005 10:24 AM
ASIC RTL and FPGA RTL Anand P Paralkar VHDL 1 04-26-2004 01:09 PM
VHDL RTL description Zyd VHDL 1 04-14-2004 10:59 AM
parameters for Routability estimation and analysis during RTL stages of the design. santhosh VHDL 1 08-21-2003 04:52 PM

Advertisments