Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Rich Jackson

Please excuse my not Googling this myself, but, I just got a new
computer/ISP and I have a few "issues" to work
out!
What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
originally shown in theaters (voice-over, upbeat
ending) or the one currently in stores without voice-over and a slightly
different ending/plot?

Rich

Mobutu

Rich Jackson wrote:

> Please excuse my not Googling this myself, but, I just got a new
> computer/ISP and I have a few "issues" to work
> out!
> What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
> originally shown in theaters (voice-over, upbeat
> ending) or the one currently in stores without voice-over and a slightly
> different ending/plot?
>
> Rich

I have only ever seen the Director's Cut, but I can't imagine wanting to have a
voice-over. It would be so intrusive.

Better to appreciate the music and enjoy the mysterious mood of the movie than
listen to a voice over - which was only added afterwards to make the movie more
"accessible" to mainstream audiences (who didn't like the movie much anyway).

profft

Then you don't know what your missing

"Mobutu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rich Jackson wrote:
>
> > Please excuse my not Googling this myself, but, I just got a new
> > computer/ISP and I have a few "issues" to work
> > out!
> > What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
> > originally shown in theaters (voice-over, upbeat
> > ending) or the one currently in stores without voice-over and a

slightly
> > different ending/plot?
> >
> > Rich

> I have only ever seen the Director's Cut, but I can't imagine wanting to

have a
> voice-over. It would be so intrusive.
>
> Better to appreciate the music and enjoy the mysterious mood of the movie

than
> listen to a voice over - which was only added afterwards to make the movie

more
> "accessible" to mainstream audiences (who didn't like the movie much

anyway).

Darrel Christenson

Rich Jackson wrote:

> What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
> originally shown in theaters

With voice overs. When I got the "directors cut" w/o them
I screamed "butcher!" and returned it the next day not even
watching more than 10 minutes of that abomination.

Darrel

Mark Jones

"Mobutu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have only ever seen the Director's Cut

Same here. That is the only one I have seen.

Nicholas Andrade

Rich Jackson wrote:
> Please excuse my not Googling this myself, but, I just got a new
> computer/ISP and I have a few "issues" to work
> out!
> What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
> originally shown in theaters (voice-over, upbeat
> ending) or the one currently in stores without voice-over and a slightly
> different ending/plot?
>
> Rich

I had a professor who was a huge fan of the movie (in fact it was one of
the topics of the final for his Humanities class). He greatly preferred
the original theatrical release and when he played it for the class he
used that version.

Adios,
~Nick

Jay G

"profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> Then you don't know what your missing

Something the director didn't want you to hear,
and wasn't involved in making (the voiceover).

Don't top-post.

-Jay

Jay G

"Rich Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
> originally shown in theaters (voice-over, upbeat ending) or the one
> currently in stores without voice-over and a slightly
> different ending/plot?

I prefer the newer cut, although in fairness I only vaguely
remember the theatrical cut. I only clearly remember the
altered ending of the theatrical, which is completely
unnecessary.

The current cut isn't without it's faults of course. By
removing the voice-over, some shots are overly long,
since they were lengthened to accommodate the voice-over.
Ridley Scott has since worked on a tighter cut that is
closer to his original intention for the film (The current
"Director's Cut" was compromised by Scott only managing
to make a few changes before WB demanded he turn it in).
The new DC is finished and is supposed to appear on the
long-delayed SE DVD, along with the original theatrical cut.

-Jay

Vlvetmorning98

I like the VO and director's cut editions equally. There's many other scenes
that aren't in either version (like the girls dancing in hockey masks and the
hospital scene with Dekkard).

Louis

"Darrel Christenson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Rich Jackson wrote:
> >
> > What is the favorite edition of Blade Runner in the group? The one
> > originally shown in theaters

> With voice overs. When I got the "directors cut" w/o them
> I screamed "butcher!" and returned it the next day not even
> watching more than 10 minutes of that abomination.
>

> Darrel

The studio forced Ridley Scott to add the voice over because they didn't
think the audience would "get" the film otherwise. Reportedly, Harrison Ford
read it in an especially flat manner to telegraph his displeasure. The
"happy" ending was also tacked on (using leftover film from "The Shining").
The so-called "Director's Cut" rectifies this "butchery" but doesn't really
reflect Scott's final intention. A new version should be out soon (pending
legal difficulties).

Sorry you think the director's real intention was so bad.