Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless LAN is very slow in our office , why?

Wireless LAN is very slow in our office , why?

-keevillus-

I have setup a wireless network for my office with about 30 users. I have 3
wireless router / hubs to spread out the signal so that hopefully the
coverage is sufficient in the office. I find that the network is
significantly slower than hard wired LAN. Particularly, we have an Access
database about 250mb in size located on the server ( a NAS ) with a user
interface of about 4mb located on each client machine. It is pretty much
unusable with wireless connections, taking about 10 mins to raise a record
whereas with hard wired LAN connections, it takes about 5 seconds. The other
applications such as Internet , file access are acceptable if a bit slower.
Is this to be expected or can I improve things in any way??

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBDbGFya2U=?=

Hi,

What operating System are the clients running? Windows 2000? I have had a
similar issue with running issues over the wireless, its un workable. I am
currently setting up a PC with win XP SP2 to run some tests. In a room of 30
PC's there are a number of clients running XP and these don't seem to be
having the same problems. XP seems to be able to deal with wireless signals
more intelligently.

I will update you with my testing.

John

"-keevillus-" wrote:

> I have setup a wireless network for my office with about 30 users. I have 3
> wireless router / hubs to spread out the signal so that hopefully the
> coverage is sufficient in the office. I find that the network is
> significantly slower than hard wired LAN. Particularly, we have an Access
> database about 250mb in size located on the server ( a NAS ) with a user
> interface of about 4mb located on each client machine. It is pretty much
> unusable with wireless connections, taking about 10 mins to raise a record
> whereas with hard wired LAN connections, it takes about 5 seconds. The other
> applications such as Internet , file access are acceptable if a bit slower.
> Is this to be expected or can I improve things in any way??

GTS

It is to be expected and you may be able to improve things, but intensive
data base operations can be a significant problem with wireless. One of my
clients (a medical office) was trying to use wireless for data intensive
software including digitalized X-Rays and just had to bite the bullet and
get the office wired to get acceptable throughput and end the repeated
problems of data corruption as well as glacially slow performance.

What kind of wireless equipment are you using? 802.11g all around? How
good is the signal at the workstations? You might consider trying some of
the pre-N MIMO units which may have better throughput even with 11g at the
workstations. Ultimately the 802.11n standard with new APs and WNICs all
around could be the solution, but that's some tie off yet and would require
a significant investment. You would be far better off if you were using a
client server data base. An Access file that large is going to involve a
huge amount of network traffic. Migrating that application to SQL server
would highly desirable.
--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...