Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Please STOP calling them DVDs

Please STOP calling them DVDs

Jay G

"DarkMatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> >Now maybe English isn't your native language,

> Maybe it isn't yours.
>
> One is the HDTV consortium. The other is the DVD forum. Two
> different animals entirely, by your own declarations in previous
> posts. Doh!

Except that the DVD Forum was originally... the DVD Consortium.
You didn't specify which consortium you were talking about, and
since everyone else was talking about DVD, it was stupid of you
not to.

Still, taking into account your amended comment, why did
you bring up GI at all? You basically said "this company,
which was involved in something other than DVD, never
called it MMCD." That's like saying that the company
that was in charge of developing ice cream never called
liverwurst "braunschweiger."

-Jay

MR_ED_of_Course

in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), DarkMatter at
(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 12/6/03 8:39 PM:

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:43:35 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
>> in article (E-Mail Removed), DarkMatter at
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 12/6/03 12:49 AM:
>>
>>> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 05:09:09 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>> I never said that, jackass.

>> Now maybe English isn't your native language,

> Maybe it isn't yours.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I guess we can add "writing ability" to the list
of things that make you retarded.

> One is the HDTV consortium. The other is the DVD forum. Two
> different animals entirely, by your own declarations in previous
> posts. Doh!
>
> Ya fukin' retard.

Again, what the **** was the point of the post? We weren't in any way
talking about HDTV. Since you did not say "HDTV Consortium" or even
"Consortium" with an uppercase "C", it was interpreted by myself and others
that you were either using "consortium" as a synonym for "forum" or since
you were talking past tense that you meant "DVD Consortium". Again, when
confronted with this, why not simply clarify instead of arguing GI's
involvement with DVD?

Why would it matter how *anyone* involved with HDTV ever referred to DVD?

Is this your definition of "official"?

You're backpedaling so fast it's hard to keep up with you. Now let me get
this straight...You're saying GI was the head honcho of the HDTV Consortium?

I think you're confusing the HDTV Consortium with the Digital HDTV Grand
Alliance. The Alliance was formed in May of 1993 by former FCCC Chair
Richard Wiley. This had seven members including: ATT/Lucent, Philips,
Sarnoff, Thomson, Zenith, MIT, and yes, General Instrument.

The HDTV Consortium is a part of NATPE (National Association of Television
Program Executives). GI was never a part of this.

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
LASERandDVDfan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Since someone replied to Darky and posted what he said, I'll argue his points
>this time...

>The villiage idiot DarkMatter regaled us by saying:

>>> A CD is digital inasmuch as it is pits, and does get interpreted by
>>> an ADC. However, it is bit for bit the same as the audio stream.
>>> DVDs are not just a different pitch, therefore a different storage
>>> capacity.

>When you break it all down, the information is one thing only: a binary code.

[lots snipped]

>>> So it is like an LD in comparison.

>An LD is similar to both CDs and DVDs in that they all use the
>same theories and practices associated with reflective optical
>data storage and retrival.

>However, the difference is that LaserDiscs employ pits and lands
>which vary in length and represent zero crossings of an FM
>signal.

Which is to say and LD stores data by saving a clipped FM signal -
so an LD is an analog format not digital.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com