Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT?? DVD recorder question . . .

OT?? DVD recorder question . . .

Russell

I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my VCR, to
record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs, avi, wmv and
rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

Codswallop

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:58:51 GMT, Russell wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my VCR,
> to record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs, avi, wmv
> and rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

Sounds like you need a PC.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Codswallop

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:29:55 GMT, Codswallop wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>> I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my
>> VCR, to record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs,
>> avi, wmv and rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

> Sounds like you need a PC.

Or maybe a modded X-Box with Linux...

--
- Cods

(E-Mail Removed)
(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

john33907@comcast.net

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:58:51 -0500, "Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my VCR, to
>record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs, avi, wmv and
>rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

One with Jesus inside.

someone

On 28 Nov 2003 22:44:50 GMT, Codswallop <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:29:55 GMT, Codswallop wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>
>>> I want to buy a cheap DVD recorder to transfer home tapes from my
>>> VCR, to record TV shows, and to (this is my question) play mpegs,
>>> avi, wmv and rm's. What do I need to look for in a recorder?

>> Sounds like you need a PC.

>Or maybe a modded X-Box with Linux...

I've got a modded xbox. it can play all regions ntsc uc, ntsc j and pal. I
heard that you can copy the whole game into the hard disk, but can't seem
to find the option to do so.

Codswallop

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:31:22 GMT, someone wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>>> Sounds like you need a PC.

>>Or maybe a modded X-Box with Linux...

> I've got a modded xbox. it can play all regions ntsc uc, ntsc j and
> pal. I heard that you can copy the whole game into the hard disk, but
> can't seem to find the option to do so.

When I said "modded" to the original poster, I meant that they should
remove the DVD-ROM drive, and replace it with a DVD-RW drive. Then,
they could install Linux and go from there. I'm sure someone has
already done it...

Maybe you could do a search on Google to find out how to copy X-Box
games.

--
- Cods

(E-Mail Removed)
(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Russell

How can I change mpegs, avi, wmv and rm's into a DVD playable format ? and
can I burn them using my computers CD burner ?

Bill

If you have the time to download it, Nero has a fully functional demo (good
through the end of December) of a new (and very extensive) software suite
called "Nero 6 Ultra Edition."

http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

You'll need a DVD-RW drive to burn a true DVD. The Nero software will allow
you make both MPEG-1 Video CDs and MPEG-2 Super Video CDs though.

"Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I change mpegs, avi, wmv and rm's into a DVD playable format ?

and
> can I burn them using my computers CD burner ?

CAM

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 05:43:32 -0500, "Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How can I change mpegs, avi, wmv and rm's into a DVD playable format ? and
>can I burn them using my computers CD burner ?

There are converter programs to get it to avi then you burn it all to
svcd fo rcd media to play back in dvd players.
www.vcdhelp.com