Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Latest from the Format Wars

Latest from the Format Wars

John Savard

I see that Toshiba's HD-DVD format has been the one approved by the
DVD Consortium; today's Register has the news.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/

This is a competitor to Sony's Blu-Ray format; however, the version of
Toshiba's format that was approved also uses blue laser technology for
a 15 GB disk capacity, rather than being on existing DVD media.

An earlier news story there noted that a company in China, On2,
developed its own HD-DVD type format, but based on a new codec, VP2,
claimed to have performance even better than Windows Media 9, recently
noted in this group as having capabilities beyond MPEG-4, and MPEG-4,
as is well known, compresses considerably better than MPEG-2, enough
to make HDTV on a DVD-sized disk at least appear plausible. This
format is termed EVD, for Enhanced Video Disk.

John Savard

Mark Spatny

John Savard,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I see that Toshiba's HD-DVD format has been the one approved by the
> DVD Consortium; today's Register has the news.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing some movies on my HDTV
soon.