Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why I Hate Stanley Kubrick

Why I Hate Stanley Kubrick

Mark Spatny

I couldn't agree with you more. My friends and coworkers are always
going on and on about how brilliant his movies are, how I just HAVE to
love The Shining and Full Metal Jacket. And I always come away from
these movies wishing I could have the two hours back I just wasted on
them. It doesn't matter that there is so much technical excellence in
his movies, if I come away from them wishing I hadn't wasted my time
watching them.

Jordan Lund

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> Kubrick seems to have a simmering hatred for humanity in general, and
> it shows in the way he makes his movies.

My beef with Kubrick is that he never made an original work. All he
ever did was adapt novels written by other people. If he was as great
as people made him out to be he should have done some original work.

- Jordan

JAM

"Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> > Kubrick seems to have a simmering hatred for humanity in general, and
> > it shows in the way he makes his movies.

> My beef with Kubrick is that he never made an original work. All he
> ever did was adapt novels written by other people. If he was as great
> as people made him out to be he should have done some original work.
>
> - Jordan

Actually, 2001: A Space Odyssey was an original work. Arthur C. Clark just
wrote the book at the same time as Kubrick wrote the screenplay as a tie in
with the movie. In fact, Kubrick didn't want any dialogue at all. He only
wanted to poetically illustrate technology. Clark told him that the
audience needed some dialogue or they would get bored. So Kubrick included
some dialogue, even though it was considered banal. But the whole project
was Kubrick's idea. He researched the subject for several years and began
production on the film as early as 1964, right after completing Dr.
Strangelove. He even helped with the special effects. 2001 was the first
film to make the vastness of space and the quality of spaceships look real.
Kubrick broke new ground with this work - an original work.

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) (Jordan Lund) wrote:

>My beef with Kubrick is that he never made an original work. All he
>ever did was adapt novels written by other people. If he was as great
>as people made him out to be he should have done some original work.

Well, aside from the fact that it's not true that he "never" made an
original work (KILLER'S KISS is not an adaptation of a previous work),
quite frankly, I'd rather have such adaptations as PATHS OF GLORY or A
CLOCKWORK ORANGE than virtually any "original work" in the entire
history of cinema.

-- jayembee

Shawn

Personally I enjoyed the lack of dialogue in 2001. Talk is cheap.

JAM wrote:

> "Jordan Lund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> >

> > > Kubrick seems to have a simmering hatred for humanity in general, and
> > > it shows in the way he makes his movies.

> > My beef with Kubrick is that he never made an original work. All he
> > ever did was adapt novels written by other people. If he was as great
> > as people made him out to be he should have done some original work.
> >
> > - Jordan

> Actually, 2001: A Space Odyssey was an original work. Arthur C. Clark just
> wrote the book at the same time as Kubrick wrote the screenplay as a tie in
> with the movie. In fact, Kubrick didn't want any dialogue at all. He only
> wanted to poetically illustrate technology. Clark told him that the
> audience needed some dialogue or they would get bored. So Kubrick included
> some dialogue, even though it was considered banal. But the whole project
> was Kubrick's idea. He researched the subject for several years and began
> production on the film as early as 1964, right after completing Dr.
> Strangelove. He even helped with the special effects. 2001 was the first
> film to make the vastness of space and the quality of spaceships look real.
> Kubrick broke new ground with this work - an original work.

Sean O'Hara

In the Year of the Goat, the Great and Powerful Jordan Lund declared...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>

> > Kubrick seems to have a simmering hatred for humanity in general, and
> > it shows in the way he makes his movies.

> My beef with Kubrick is that he never made an original work. All he
> ever did was adapt novels written by other people.

Go find a copy of Red Alert and read it, then watch Strangelove and tell
me there's nothing original in what Kubrick did with the story.

--
Sean O'Hara
Gibberish in Neutral: http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com/

Bluff McCaine

"Sean O'Hara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the Year of the Goat, the Great and Powerful Jordan Lund declared...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> > > Kubrick seems to have a simmering hatred for humanity in general, and
> > > it shows in the way he makes his movies.

> > My beef with Kubrick is that he never made an original work. All he
> > ever did was adapt novels written by other people.

> Go find a copy of Red Alert and read it, then watch Strangelove and tell
> me there's nothing original in what Kubrick did with the story.

Hell, don't all the Stephen King fans complain he changed The Shining too
much too?

Eric R.

"Bluff McCaine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hell, don't all the Stephen King fans complain he changed The Shining too
> much too?

Yeah, he changed it. He made it a lot better--infusing a very literal
novel with true depth and rich symbolism. It was like having James
Joyce rewrite a Dean Koontz novel.

-Eric

Frank N. Stein

"Eric R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Bluff McCaine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > Hell, don't all the Stephen King fans complain he changed The Shining

too
> > much too?

> Yeah, he changed it. He made it a lot better--infusing a very literal
> novel with true depth and rich symbolism. It was like having James
> Joyce rewrite a Dean Koontz novel.

Hehehehe...good one!

R. Cohen

(E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> "Toureiro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bq2uvm$1u6uan$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> > So, following your thoughts, you also must HATE Blade Runner(dir. cut),
> > Brazil, 1984, Bitter Moon, Hamlet or any other work with some misery and
> > unhappy ending.
> >

> No, absolutely not. I actually prefer dark movies to feel-good ones.
> However, Stanley Kubrick movies aren't simply dark movies. Whenever I
> watch Kubrick's films, I always get this feeling that the director
> detests his audience. And his distaste for them (us!) shows in his
> work.
>
> It's kind of hard to explain. Whenever I watch a typical "dark" movie
> like "Blade Runner Director's Cut" or "Godfather Part II", I feel that
> its solemn mood enhances the film's point. With a Kubrick movie, I
> feel like Kubrick is leering at me from behind the screen, and
> pointing his finger at me.

You're taking it a bit too personally.