Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > widescreen information via VCD? (assistance needed)

widescreen information via VCD? (assistance needed)

PseudoApparition

I'm looking for VCD-compatible MPG videos that show why people should buy
widescreen DVDs instead of Pan & Scan / Unmatted. My intent is to compile a
VCD of these. See, I work in a major record store, and am in charge of all
things visual-related. We have a DVD-watching post, where we let people
view the five "big" DVD releases of the week/month/quarter/whatever. Well,
I was thinking, instead of five... it'd be four, so the fifth disc could be
this VCD (which I'd make sure is being played when no one is watching
something else...). I figure it can't HURT sales in our store, and can only
inform the uninformed. Not to mention, it'd make widescreen advocates like
myself smile.

so, if you know where I can get such videos, please let me know. I may end
up creating one or two myself, but I want to get a bunch of them, all with
different examples (hopefully including one about films that ARE meant to be
fullscreen, like Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, etc, so people aren't endlessly
searching for a non-existant widescreen copy), so people can see that the
issue spans across ALL genres of film.

and maybe I'll get myself a half-decent raise

thanks,
Dan
dansucks at hotmail dot com

PS: I chose VCD simply because I don't have a DVD Burner, and don't have
access to one at all.

PS2: yes, I have too much spare time on my hands.

Doonie

Just make a bunch of copies of a flyer explaining the differences
and showing examples and stuff one into each person's bag as they make
a purchase.

--
www.cloakanddagger.ca

Richard G Amirault

PseudoApparition <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I'm looking for VCD-compatible MPG videos that show why people should buy
: widescreen DVDs instead of Pan & Scan / Unmatted. My intent is to compile a
: VCD of these. See, I work in a major record store, and am in charge of all
: things visual-related. We have a DVD-watching post, where we let people
: view the five "big" DVD releases of the week/month/quarter/whatever. Well,
: I was thinking, instead of five... it'd be four, so the fifth disc could be
: this VCD (which I'd make sure is being played when no one is watching
: something else...). I figure it can't HURT sales in our store, and can only
: inform the uninformed. Not to mention, it'd make widescreen advocates like
: myself smile.

The "best" way to do this is from currently published DVD's that have
been released in both formats (one widescreen, the other P&S) however ..
99% of DVD's are copy protected so that's out

You could try it from similarly released VHS tape versions .. if they
aren't copyprotected.

I'd think you'd need to have a running audio commentary telling folks ..
"See how much you can see here ... and now, see how much is lost" or
something to the effect.

It's a commendable idea, but I think it'll be too much work to do.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

PseudoApparition

"Richard G Amirault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpu3u4$777$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The "best" way to do this is from currently published DVD's that have
> been released in both formats (one widescreen, the other P&S)

definitely. The only way is to show a direct comparison.

> however ..
> 99% of DVD's are copy protected so that's out

well, anyone can acquire the means to skip over that, but the problem is
that it requires defeating the copy protection which is illegal due to the
DMCA. Also, I don't think using clips of copyrighted material in such a way
is legal, either. I'm not sure what would fall under acceptible use or
whatnot, since this project is solely for informational purposes. I don't
know enough about the laws to risk it. Not yet, anyway. If I were doing
this for my own viewing (and to show to uninformed friends) then I wouldn't
be so worried... but since the plan is to show it in a commercial record
store, the "rights" issue will inevitably come up.

> You could try it from similarly released VHS tape versions .. if they
> aren't copyprotected.

I've got some old VHS tapes that'd do the trick. I just need to find them,
and my dusty old VCR.

> I'd think you'd need to have a running audio commentary telling folks ..
> "See how much you can see here ... and now, see how much is lost" or
> something to the effect.

definitely. That, or explanations before and after each clip.

> It's a commendable idea, but I think it'll be too much work to do.
>
> Richard in Boston, MA, USA

bah! I just need more motivation.

Dan

PseudoApparition

"Doonie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just make a bunch of copies of a flyer explaining the differences
> and showing examples and stuff one into each person's bag as they make
> a purchase.

that was my initial idea, but in the end, I don't like giving flyers to
people. It'll give them the impression we're trying to spread some kind of
propaganda or something. Plus, I don't think flyers do any justice to the
core issue. Maybe it's just me, but a simple screen-capture of one moment
in a film isn't convincing enough, 'cause people are bound to think/say
"well, that extra stuff doesn't matter at that particular second in the
film." I want to show just how extensively a film is changed due to Pan &
Scan / Unmatting.

If anything, I might make little business-card-sized sheets, giving a very
simple explanation along with "see our DVD Viewing Post for some examples"
or something like that, and keep those up at the front of the store.

Dan

Codswallop

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:33:17 GMT, PseudoApparition wrote in
alt.video.dvd:

> If anything, I might make little business-card-sized sheets, giving a
> very simple explanation along with "see our DVD Viewing Post for some
> examples" or something like that, and keep those up at the front of
> the store.

Why not movie-sized posters with two or three examples shown throughout
the store?

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to email)

Cheesypeas

the old PAL Fox widescreen releases of the Star Wars trilogy had a short
trailer showing you how much more you could see on the WS versions before
each movie.

Rick

I only know of a couple of "official" productions that demonstrate between
P&S and W/S. The first is on the second disc of the Die Hard movie where
the director/producer shows the difference (although the scene in question
is quite boring and ultimately not "catchy" enough I think for the customers
to bothe watching). The other is from A Bug's Life S.E. but this actually
negates the point you are making between the two formats since this movie is
the only one in history to have had the adjustments that were made to them
(ie the CGI was completely redone in certain shots and was done purely to
suit the 1.33:1 format as well as exhibiting its original 2.35:1 format -
basically, both versions are perfectly framed no matter which one you
watch).

"PseudoApparition" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news5hwb.483579$9l5.471732@pd7tw2no...
> I'm looking for VCD-compatible MPG videos that show why people should buy
> widescreen DVDs instead of Pan & Scan / Unmatted. My intent is to compile

> VCD of these. See, I work in a major record store, and am in charge of

all
> things visual-related. We have a DVD-watching post, where we let people
> view the five "big" DVD releases of the week/month/quarter/whatever.

Well,
> I was thinking, instead of five... it'd be four, so the fifth disc could

be
> this VCD (which I'd make sure is being played when no one is watching
> something else...). I figure it can't HURT sales in our store, and can

only
> inform the uninformed. Not to mention, it'd make widescreen advocates

like
> myself smile.
>
> so, if you know where I can get such videos, please let me know. I may

end
> up creating one or two myself, but I want to get a bunch of them, all with
> different examples (hopefully including one about films that ARE meant to

be
> fullscreen, like Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, etc, so people aren't

endlessly
> searching for a non-existant widescreen copy), so people can see that the
> issue spans across ALL genres of film.
>
> and maybe I'll get myself a half-decent raise
>
> thanks,
> Dan
> dansucks at hotmail dot com
>
> PS: I chose VCD simply because I don't have a DVD Burner, and don't have
> access to one at all.
>
> PS2: yes, I have too much spare time on my hands.

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I only know of a couple of "official" productions that demonstrate between
> P&S and W/S. The first is on the second disc of the Die Hard movie where
> the director/producer shows the difference (although the scene in question
> is quite boring and ultimately not "catchy" enough I think for the customers
> to bothe watching). The other is from A Bug's Life S.E. but this actually
> negates the point you are making between the two formats since this movie is
> the only one in history to have had the adjustments that were made to them
> (ie the CGI was completely redone in certain shots and was done purely to
> suit the 1.33:1 format as well as exhibiting its original 2.35:1 format -
> basically, both versions are perfectly framed no matter which one you
> watch).

Not true. Finding Nemo also has the distinct "honor" of being reframed.
This still upsets me greatly though as I feel they're trying way too
hard to cater to the FOOL screen dumbasses when they do this. Though I
suppose it's still better than P&Sing the movie.
--
BL

Brian \Demolition Man\ Little

From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Rick
<(E-Mail Removed)>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
Pink?"
> I only know of a couple of "official" productions that demonstrate
> between P&S and W/S. The first is on the second disc of the Die Hard
> movie where the director/producer shows the difference (although the
> scene in question is quite boring and ultimately not "catchy" enough
> I think for the customers to bother watching). The other is from A
> Bug's Life S.E. but this actually negates the point you are making
> between the two formats since this movie is the only one in history
> to have had the adjustments that were made to them (ie the CGI was
> completely redone in certain shots and was done purely to suit the
> 1.33:1 format as well as exhibiting its original 2.35:1 format -
> basically, both versions are perfectly framed no matter which one you
> watch).

The reformated 1.33:1 "Bug's Life" still has areas where its still P&Sed
or having characters that are normally shown on the WS version cut off
on the reformatted version.

--
Brian "Demolition Man" Little