Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF 1.5 hanging

FF 1.5 hanging

Steve IA

I've been running FF 1.5 for about 2 weeks on WinXP Home SP2 and
sometimes, after FF sits idle, disconnected from DU, FF hangs and I am
unable to do anything in FF. I can X out to close,and it appears to
close as it disappears from the task bar at the bottom but, when I try
to restart FF, I get this message: "FF is already running, but is not
responding. To Open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
process, or restart your system." Then I Ctrl-Alt-Del, end the FF
process restart FF and everything is hunky-dory again.
I've removed 1.5 and reinstalled it, but this did not help.
Any help will be appreciated.
Steve

Steve IA

Steve IA wrote:
> I've been running FF 1.5 for about 2 weeks on WinXP Home SP2 and
> sometimes, after FF sits idle, disconnected from DU, FF hangs and I am
> unable to do anything in FF. I can X out to close,and it appears to
> close as it disappears from the task bar at the bottom but, when I try
> to restart FF, I get this message: "FF is already running, but is not
> responding. To Open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
> process, or restart your system." Then I Ctrl-Alt-Del, end the FF
> process restart FF and everything is hunky-dory again.
> I've removed 1.5 and reinstalled it, but this did not help.
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Steve

This seems to happen with only one website:
http://www.jigzone.com/z.php?167KMF0025056AD87E
When this is the only tab open, and it is exited using the red X on the
right of the tab bar,or the drop down "close tab", a tab is left on the
tab bar saying "loading..." but nothing is loaded and the URL above
remains in the Addy bar above. Then it hangs as I stated above. If 2
tabs are open to the same website (they change daily and differ only
with the ending alpha/numeric and 1 is closed, it doesn't happen. If 2
tabs are open and one is other than the above website, it doesn't
happen. When a single tab is open for another URL,(of the few I've
tried) it doesn't happen. Seems to be some interaction with a single
remaining tab at this website.
thanks again
Steve

gwtc

Steve IA wrote:

> Steve IA wrote:
>
>>I've been running FF 1.5 for about 2 weeks on WinXP Home SP2 and
>>sometimes, after FF sits idle, disconnected from DU, FF hangs and I am
>>unable to do anything in FF. I can X out to close,and it appears to
>>close as it disappears from the task bar at the bottom but, when I try
>>to restart FF, I get this message: "FF is already running, but is not
>>responding. To Open a new window, you must first close the existing FF
>>process, or restart your system." Then I Ctrl-Alt-Del, end the FF
>>process restart FF and everything is hunky-dory again.
>>I've removed 1.5 and reinstalled it, but this did not help.
>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>Steve

> This seems to happen with only one website:
> http://www.jigzone.com/z.php?167KMF0025056AD87E
> When this is the only tab open, and it is exited using the red X on the
> right of the tab bar,or the drop down "close tab", a tab is left on the
> tab bar saying "loading..." but nothing is loaded and the URL above
> remains in the Addy bar above. Then it hangs as I stated above. If 2
> tabs are open to the same website (they change daily and differ only
> with the ending alpha/numeric and 1 is closed, it doesn't happen. If 2
> tabs are open and one is other than the above website, it doesn't
> happen. When a single tab is open for another URL,(of the few I've
> tried) it doesn't happen. Seems to be some interaction with a single
> remaining tab at this website.
> thanks again
> Steve

closing FF and having it still running is a known problem and the only
work around is the Task Manager [ctrl+alt+del] solution

Slow Hanging Network Windows XP =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?= Wireless Networking 7 06-24-2005 01:44 AM
smtp hanging Anon Cisco 5 06-04-2004 04:22 PM
Pages 'hanging' problem... Martin D. Pay Firefox 4 02-25-2004 09:06 AM
IPC::Run and hanging pipes Brian Hann Perl 1 12-11-2003 08:41 PM
Hanging VPN sessions - HELP Nick Gorham Cisco 0 07-22-2003 02:18 PM

Advertisments