Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Copying DVD-RAM to DVD-R

Copying DVD-RAM to DVD-R

Mike Tickle

Having just investing in a Panasonic DR-E50 and eagerly awaiting its arrival
I have started thinking about how best to use it.
DVD-RAM disks are a bit more expensive than DVD-R disks, but have the
advantage can use them again and again. I see my self doing all my
recording on the DVD-RAM disks as this allows me to use them like VHS (but
with all the advantages of DVD).
However I can see my self getting in the situation where I have stuff on
DVD-RAM disks that I want to keep and I could move on to DVD-R (cheaper
disk). Or wanting to put something I have recorded on to DVD-R so someone
else can watch it. I am also planning to use the DMR-E50 to do some basic
video editing of my home movies once I have put them on RAM (moving clips
around, cutting bits etc) as my PC is not powerful enough and again I would
want to put these, when finished, on to -R disks for friends and family.

So how do I best go from DVD-RAM to DVD-R?

I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM disks
as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)

Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this? I
can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks other
than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices? Where
could I get one?
Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP) can I
just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?
If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Richard C.

The E80 with a hard disc would have been a better choice.

Not really sure how you can go from RAM to -R with your unit.

================
news:0O6vb.5990$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
[...]

jdcarswell

"Mike Tickle" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:0O6vb.5990$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having just investing in a Panasonic DR-E50 and eagerly awaiting its

arrival
> I have started thinking about how best to use it.
> DVD-RAM disks are a bit more expensive than DVD-R disks, but have the
> advantage can use them again and again. I see my self doing all my
> recording on the DVD-RAM disks as this allows me to use them like VHS (but
> with all the advantages of DVD).

Good idea - they're getting cheaper every day and the rewrite cycle means
you'll probably never wear one out.

> However I can see my self getting in the situation where I have stuff on
> DVD-RAM disks that I want to keep and I could move on to DVD-R (cheaper
> disk). Or wanting to put something I have recorded on to DVD-R so someone
> else can watch it. I am also planning to use the DMR-E50 to do some basic
> video editing of my home movies once I have put them on RAM (moving clips
> around, cutting bits etc) as my PC is not powerful enough and again I

would
> want to put these, when finished, on to -R disks for friends and family.
>
> So how do I best go from DVD-RAM to DVD-R?
>
> I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM

disks
> as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
> copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)
>
> Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
> capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this?

Absolutely.

> can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks

other
> than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices?

Where
> could I get one?

I have a Toshiba SD M1712 http://tinyurl.com/pzfl which is inexpensive and
reads DVD-RAM. I use it for the same purposes as you would. Don't know if
it's available in the UK.

> Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP) can

> just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?

Not sure if Nero can read DVD-RAM file structure, as it differs somewhat
from that of DVD-R, but worth checking out. Best inexpensive program for
simple reauthoring of your DVD-RAM discs that I know of is TMPGenc DVD
Author. It's a dead simple application you can use to trim the start/end of
your video, compile short videos, insert chapter points and replace or
simply remove the lame Panasonic menu screen.
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html

> If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?

Many DVD-ROM drives that read DVD-RAM are crippled to read DVD-RAM at no
greater than 2x speed. This makes ripping a very slow and frustrating
process. Fortunately, there are sources for firmware updates that will
remove this speed limit. Check with http://forum.firmware-flash.com/ to find
out if the DVD-RAM drive you're considering is listed. In the case of the
Toshiba drive mentioned above, check out
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

> Thanks for any advice.
>

> Mike

Denzil and Michelle Hathway

Richard is absolutely right! The E80 (or 100) is the only way to go. See if
you can stop the delivery of your E50 and substitute the E80. It's not
really that much more money. It's a snip to copy from DVD-RAM to the hard
drive (HDD) and thence back to a DVD-R ... with no degradation, since you're
totally in digital environment. Denzil.

=============================

"Mike Tickle" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote in message
news:0O6vb.5990$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having just investing in a Panasonic DR-E50 and eagerly awaiting its

arrival
> I have started thinking about how best to use it.
> DVD-RAM disks are a bit more expensive than DVD-R disks, but have the
> advantage can use them again and again. I see my self doing all my
> recording on the DVD-RAM disks as this allows me to use them like VHS (but
> with all the advantages of DVD).
> However I can see my self getting in the situation where I have stuff on
> DVD-RAM disks that I want to keep and I could move on to DVD-R (cheaper
> disk). Or wanting to put something I have recorded on to DVD-R so someone
> else can watch it. I am also planning to use the DMR-E50 to do some basic
> video editing of my home movies once I have put them on RAM (moving clips
> around, cutting bits etc) as my PC is not powerful enough and again I

would
> want to put these, when finished, on to -R disks for friends and family.
>
> So how do I best go from DVD-RAM to DVD-R?
>
> I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM

disks
> as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
> copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)
>
> Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
> capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this? I
> can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks

other
> than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices?

Where
> could I get one?
> Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP) can

> just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?
> If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>

> Mike

Mac Breck

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fbcf9e9$0$53918$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> The E80 with a hard disc would have been a better choice.

Agreed!!! Record to Hard Drive, cut commercials and dump to
DVD-R. <G>

> Not really sure how you can go from RAM to -R with your

unit.

He'd need two units.

I record on DVD-RAM, use "Divide" to cut commercials, and
then dump to VHS SP, or just keep the stuff on DVD-RAM.

I should have gotten one with a hard drive. Oh well, live &
learn.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC - owner of an E30s
-------------------------------

Samuel Paik

"Mike Tickle" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote:
> I want to avoid getting a DVD player (set top box) that reads DVD-RAM disks
> as I have limited space under the TV and this will result in an analogue
> copy not a digital one (probably with a loss of quality)
>
> Since I have a DVD-R write in my PC I would favour getting a DVD-ROM drive
> capable of reading RAM disks and making digital copies. Can I do this? I
> can't find and DVD drives for a PC that state they can read RAM disks other
> than the expensive DVD-RAM. Do such drives exist at sensible prices? Where
> could I get one?

At least some DVD-ROM drives read DVD-RAM, but mostly only for the disks
that come out of the cartridge. Panasonic makes a few models that can
read the DVD-RAM cartridges. Recent Toshiba DVD-ROM drives can read
DVD-RAM. The NEC DV-5800C/MXL can read DVD-RAM. The Samsung SD-816B
can read DVD-RAM. The LG GDR-8161B can read DVD-RAM. I found all
of these (except Toshiba) at newegg.com, but that probably isn't
suitable for you since you appear to be in the UK.

> Assuming I can get a DVD-RAM reader at a suitable price (under 50 UKP)
> can I just use Nero to make a copy of the RAM risk on to a -R disk?
> If I take this route is there anything I need to watch out for?

I don't know. My impression is that DVD-RAM recorders don't record
in DVD-Video format, but in a new (and incompatible) format and I
don't know what steps are available for converting a DVD-RAM video
into DVD-Video.

Sam

Jerry Jones

Mike,

You can use ULEAD's MediaStudio Pro 7.01 to extract raw MPEGs from
your DVD-RAM discs (recorded in your Panasonic DVD player/recorder)
and then copy the DVD-RAM content to DVD-R discs with great looking
menus.

You'll need a DVD drive that can read DVD-RAM discs.

I have an external Firewire/USB 2.0 Panasonic SW-9571
DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM drive that features a special "deep dish" tray
that can accept cartridged DVD-RAM media.

My drive model's tray is pictured on the Web page at the following
link:

http://www.jonesgroup.net/vdrm30steptwo.htm

Panasonic has a faster new internal model out now called the SW-9582,
which sells for $126 on the Web page at the following link:

http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030141

Insert your DVD-RAM recording into the drive and then use the ULEAD
MediaStudio Pro "DVD-VR Capture Plug-in" to copy the video/audio data
from the DVD-RAM disc to your hard drive.

Then you can edit the file - insert titles and transitions - apply
video filters, etc.

Ulead's Smart Render technology helps preserve the quality of the
original file by confining any new video rendering only to those
specific segments in your edit project where titles, transitions, or
filters have been applied.

Then use the LE version of Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - included with
MediaStudio Pro 7 - to create your custom menus for your DVD-R.

It works great.

I purchased a Panasonic DVD disc camcorder (model VDR-M30).

This model records onto mini DVD-R discs or mini DVD-RAM discs.

I wrote a step-by-step tutorial about how to extract the video/audio
data using Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7.01 on the Web page at the following
link:

http://www.jonesgroup.net/vdrm30stepone.htm

The steps of the tutorial would work for your Panasonic DVD
player/recorder.

I bought the Toshiba D-R1 DVD player/recorder.

So I'll be posting a step-by-step tutorial featuring that model very
soon.

You can download a FREE trial version of Ulead MediaStudio Pro on the
Web page at the following link:

http://www.ulead.com/msp/trial.htm

By the way, Ulead MediaStudio Pro supports stereo AC-3 audio.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

MS

Can't these units connect to a computer? Then dump to the computer hard
drive, and re-record onto DVD-OR.

"Mac Breck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fbcf9e9$0$53918$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > The E80 with a hard disc would have been a better choice.

> Agreed!!! Record to Hard Drive, cut commercials and dump to
> DVD-R. <G>
>

> > Not really sure how you can go from RAM to -R with your

> unit.
>
> He'd need two units.
>
> I record on DVD-RAM, use "Divide" to cut commercials, and
> then dump to VHS SP, or just keep the stuff on DVD-RAM.
>
> I should have gotten one with a hard drive. Oh well, live &
> learn.
>
> --
> Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC - owner of an E30s
> -------------------------------
> http://www.scifi.com/babylon5/
> http://www.scifi.com/crusade/
> http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1521 (Brimstone)

Charles

I understand these units would not connect to a computer but admittedly I
have not tried connecting my HS2 to the PC - that would save me having to
get a VTR for mini DV playback.
" MS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't these units connect to a computer? Then dump to the computer hard
> drive, and re-record onto DVD-OR.
>

> "Mac Breck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3fbcf9e9$0$53918$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > The E80 with a hard disc would have been a better choice.

> > Agreed!!! Record to Hard Drive, cut commercials and dump to
> > DVD-R. <G>
> >

> > > Not really sure how you can go from RAM to -R with your

> > unit.
> >
> > He'd need two units.
> >
> > I record on DVD-RAM, use "Divide" to cut commercials, and
> > then dump to VHS SP, or just keep the stuff on DVD-RAM.
> >
> > I should have gotten one with a hard drive. Oh well, live &
> > learn.
> >
> > --
> > Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC - owner of an E30s
> > -------------------------------
> > http://www.scifi.com/babylon5/
> > http://www.scifi.com/crusade/
> > http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1521 (Brimstone)

FredBillie

<< From: "Charles" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Date: Sat, Nov 29, 2003 6:51 PM

I understand these units would not connect to a computer but admittedly I
have not tried connecting my HS2 to the PC - that would save me having to
get a VTR for mini DV playback.>>

The way you avoid getting a VTR for mini DV Playback is to import your DV tapes
to your HS-2 and burn a DVD-R. That’s part of the reason for having a DVD
recorder.