Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Will Seinfeld ever come to DVD

Will Seinfeld ever come to DVD

Angry Gamer

Subject says it all

SoHillsGuy

TVShowsOnDVD.com is the place to check...

>>"Exec producer Howard West claims that DVDs *are* in the works and should

roll out by late next year. 'It takes time,' he explains about adding extras --
unseen footage, behind-the-scenes interviews -- to episodes filmed as long ago
as 1990. 'We have to go backward to go forward.' But Columbia-TriStar, who will
distribute, says it has no timetable for the release."

Grand Inquisitor

Angry Gamer wrote:

> Subject says it all

Yes, someday. DVD or HD-DVD, whenever they get around to it. But
they'll only do it if they think they can make more moolah than they
already are with syndicated episodes.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

JAM

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NVRub.16081$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Angry Gamer wrote:
>
> > Subject says it all

> Yes, someday. DVD or HD-DVD, whenever they get around to it. But
> they'll only do it if they think they can make more moolah than they
> already are with syndicated episodes.
>
> --
> "Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
> Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
> and tagging wildebeests."
> --Michael J. Nelson
>
> Grand Inquisitor
> http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

Actually, the world is not that cynical. This past summer Jerry Seinfeld
stated that they are working on the DVDs, because people keep asking him for
them. He knows that people can see them twice a day on TV, but he said that
people like to own things. So, he is going to give them what they want. He
said they are trying to find supplements, and that it is difficult to get
some of them because the show started in 1990. Apparently, some of the
stuff from back then has already gotten hard to come by. Once they round up
everything, they will release the DVDs. The latest estimation is Fall 2004.

Grand Inquisitor

JAM wrote:
> Actually, the world is not that cynical. This past summer Jerry Seinfeld
> stated that they are working on the DVDs, because people keep asking him for
> them. He knows that people can see them twice a day on TV, but he said that
> people like to own things. So, he is going to give them what they want. He
> said they are trying to find supplements, and that it is difficult to get
> some of them because the show started in 1990. Apparently, some of the
> stuff from back then has already gotten hard to come by. Once they round up
> everything, they will release the DVDs. The latest estimation is Fall 2004.

Well, I supposed if Seinfeld himself insisted, they'd have to.
Otherwise though, business interests would prevail over keeping the
diehard fans happy.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Nicholas Andrade

JAM wrote:
> "Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NVRub.16081$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Angry Gamer wrote:
>>

>>>Subject says it all

>>Yes, someday. DVD or HD-DVD, whenever they get around to it. But
>>they'll only do it if they think they can make more moolah than they
>>already are with syndicated episodes.
>>
>>--
>>"Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
>>Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
>>and tagging wildebeests."
>>--Michael J. Nelson
>>
>>Grand Inquisitor
>>http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost
>>

> Actually, the world is not that cynical. This past summer Jerry Seinfeld
> stated that they are working on the DVDs, because people keep asking him for
> them. He knows that people can see them twice a day on TV, but he said that
> people like to own things. So, he is going to give them what they want. He
> said they are trying to find supplements, and that it is difficult to get
> some of them because the show started in 1990. Apparently, some of the
> stuff from back then has already gotten hard to come by. Once they round up
> everything, they will release the DVDs. The latest estimation is Fall 2004.

I wish the owners of the rights to shows like Seinfeld or The Simpsons
would learn that releasing the show on DVD won't strongly affect
syndication. Majority of the fans who are hardcore enough to go out and
buy the DVD's will still watch them when their on the air. I know
numerous people -- in addition to myself -- who own all 3 Simpsons
seasons that still watch the episodes on twice a day (even when the
episode is from one of the seasons they own). In my area, I get
Seinfeld 4 times a day, but I'd still probably watch at least a couple
episodes a day even if I owned the whole series. I just hope they
include some kind of commentary like Groening is doing for the Simpsons.

Adios,
~Nick

Stan Brown

In article <5BPvb.36843$(E-Mail Removed) m> in
alt.video.dvd, Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I wish the owners of the rights to shows like Seinfeld or The Simpsons
>would learn that releasing the show on DVD won't strongly affect
>syndication. Majority of the fans who are hardcore enough to go out and
>buy the DVD's will still watch them when their on the air.

Is that really true (modulo the misspelling of "they're", of
course)?

I have the DVDs of /Family Guy/, and feel no impulse whatever to
watch chopped-up versions on cable. The same is true of the early
/Simpsons/ and other TV series I've got on DVD.

Am I all that unusual?(*) Since you say the "majority" of fans who
own DVDs will still watch the same shows on the air, I have a simple
question: why?

(*) Well, yes, I am; but I mean in this specific context.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Wade365

<< Am I all that unusual?(*) Since you say the "majority" of fans who
own DVDs will still watch the same shows on the air, I have a simple
question: why? >>

Well, for myself I watch the show on broadcast (Simps) because not everything
is out on DVD yet, only the first three seasons... so tuning in, I often catch
an ep I don't own (yet) or one that I missed during original air date. The
other thing about it is some shows have become a nightly "thing"... like my
folks used to watch the Tonight Show before Carson left... it's pattern
behavior, and I'm not ashamed of it but I DO see that the time COULD be
better-spent.

While it's true that I don't plan religiously to watch the Simps anymore, I'm
glad it's still on when I'm eating my dinner just in case... when I have all
the seasons in a multi-disc changer and I can hit "Random", then maybe I'll
stop tuning in.

E Brown

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:03:15 -0500, Stan Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <5BPvb.36843$(E-Mail Removed) m> in
>alt.video.dvd, Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I wish the owners of the rights to shows like Seinfeld or The Simpsons
>>would learn that releasing the show on DVD won't strongly affect
>>syndication. Majority of the fans who are hardcore enough to go out and
>>buy the DVD's will still watch them when their on the air.

>Is that really true (modulo the misspelling of "they're", of
>course)?

In my case, the broadcast makes me pull out my discs and watch the
ep uncut. For every dvd release of a Friends season, I cut back on
watching syndie eps.
Emanuel
--
"Yeah, you look like the sort of person that would own a corkscrew."
Said by a neighbor borrowing a corkscrew, on my 1st day in a new apartment.

Wade365

<< I cut back on
watching syndie eps. >>

I once got a restraining order slapped on me for that...

: )

DVD Verdict reviews: SEINFELD: SEASON FIVE, SEINFELD: SEASON SIX, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-15-2006 10:04 AM
Seinfeld dvd? JWB DVD Video 3 11-25-2004 10:18 AM
Seinfeld, First 3 Seasons on DVD, Nov. 23! Mike McGee DVD Video 15 09-11-2004 02:19 PM
seinfeld on dvd NOMAD205 DVD Video 3 07-12-2004 03:56 AM
Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD Mike McGee DVD Video 49 01-24-2004 03:14 PM

Advertisments