Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why hasn't the classic television Superman made it to DVD?

Why hasn't the classic television Superman made it to DVD?

anthony

I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

profft

While their at it how about Rin Tin-Tin and SkyKing too.

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
> There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

Aaron J. Bossig

> I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
> There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

I'd like this series too. It's probably not out due to a combination
of the following:

1) Rights. Have all the people who are entitled to profit been given
their cut? If not, are we even sure about who those people are?

2) Does the studio think there's enough interest to warrant the expense?
It usually helps when there's a movie tie-in to cash in on.

3) Are the original prints for the series in good condition? If not,
this can increase the expense needed to get the set out to begin with.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.daily-reviews.com

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (anthony) wrote:

>I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
>There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

Most likely, it's because Warner has only started really diving into
the TV-on-DVD business recently. They have a *lot* of material
deserving DVD release "NOW". You'll just have to be patient.

-- jayembee

jayembee

"profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
>> There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

>While their at it how about Rin Tin-Tin and SkyKing too.

Well, the "they" who own THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (Warner Bros) is
not the "they" who own THE ADVENTURES OF RIN TIN TIN (Columbia), or
the "they" who own SKY KING (an independent production company).

-- jayembee

profft

I could careless who owns the copyrights, I would like to see them available
on dvd

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
> >> There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

> >While their at it how about Rin Tin-Tin and SkyKing too.

> Well, the "they" who own THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (Warner Bros) is
> not the "they" who own THE ADVENTURES OF RIN TIN TIN (Columbia), or
> the "they" who own SKY KING (an independent production company).
>
> -- jayembee

Aaron J. Bossig

"profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:A0Dub.101$3J.43@okepread03:

> I could careless who owns the copyrights, I would like to see them
> available on dvd

Unfortunately, if you're looking to push for a show on DVD,
the copyright holder should be your primary interest.

If you're going to try and ge Supreman on DVD, you've got my support.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.daily-reviews.com

profft

What/how to try? I go to the various places that sell dvd's and if something
catches my fancy... For instance went to PEP Boys to buy something else and
lo and behold found StarTreks 3&4 WS for $9.99 a pop. Hell even 7-11's sell
dvd's now, way over priced but still as more and more places sell them the
more content will be in demand (or so it's hoped). I know who ever owns the
rights arent going to make the dvd's just because I want them to.

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:A0Dub.101$3J.43@okepread03:
>
> > I could careless who owns the copyrights, I would like to see them
> > available on dvd

> Unfortunately, if you're looking to push for a show on DVD,
> the copyright holder should be your primary interest.
>
> If you're going to try and ge Supreman on DVD, you've got my support.
>

> --
>
> Aaron J. Bossig
>
> http://www.GodsLabRat.com
> http://www.daily-reviews.com

jayembee

"profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote"

>>> While their at it how about Rin Tin-Tin and SkyKing too.

>> Well, the "they" who own THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (Warner
>> Bros) is not the "they" who own THE ADVENTURES OF RIN TIN
>> TIN (Columbia), or the "they" who own SKY KING (an independent
>> production company).

> I could careless who owns the copyrights, I would like to
> see them available on dvd

Since the copyright holders are the ones to decide whether
the programs get released on DVD or not, they are an important
part of the equation.

But my point is that everyone keeps saying things like "If they
can release X, why can't they release Y?" as if there's some
monolithic "they" who sit in a room somewhere in Switzerland,
deciding what gets released and what doesn't.

Different movies/series are owned by different companies that
each have their own sets of priorities about what to release
when.

-- jayembee

Hitman of Las Vegas

On 18 Nov 2003 16:55:13 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (anthony)
wrote:

>I'm talking about the 1950s series with George Reeves.
>There's some videos out there; it deserves DVD release NOW.

Give it time. Television releases on DVD explodedi n the last two
years - Bullwinkle has been released and SCTV is getting a DVD
release, too - I never thought I'd see either get a real release.

Be patient! Give it time!