Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ? About Star Trek DVDs

? About Star Trek DVDs

Windbag1000

Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

DyloniusFunk

"Windbag1000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

My personal Theory is this* and this is just my theory* is that they have
made so many different encyclopedia, and informational cd rom programs for
the computer, for each of the series, and several of them contain the
promos. So technically they are available for interested parties. As far as
why they aren't on the disc, who knows. Though in all fairness, you can't
really put paramount in the spotlight for this. Lots of other studios don't
include promos for TV product. I know ADV has with andromeda, and some
farscape. Warner has with Babylon 5. Fox, which I consider the leader in TV
product, hasn't done any. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have three
season of the Simpson's, then first two sets of M*A*S*H, and The Shield,
none of which have any kind of promos. I guess it just depends on the show.
I think the I Love Lucy sets have some, as do the recently released Dick Van
Dyke Show sets. So they may only be an item of consideration as an archival
look back for older shows. Don't know. Just my thought.

GMAN

In article <QFtub.122422$(E-Mail Removed)>, "DyloniusFunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Windbag1000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

>My personal Theory is this* and this is just my theory* is that they have
>made so many different encyclopedia, and informational cd rom programs for
>the computer, for each of the series, and several of them contain the
>promos. So technically they are available for interested parties. As far as
>why they aren't on the disc, who knows. Though in all fairness, you can't
>really put paramount in the spotlight for this. Lots of other studios don't
>include promos for TV product. I know ADV has with andromeda, and some
>farscape. Warner has with Babylon 5. Fox, which I consider the leader in TV
>product, hasn't done any. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have three
>season of the Simpson's, then first two sets of M*A*S*H, and The Shield,
>none of which have any kind of promos. I guess it just depends on the show.
>I think the I Love Lucy sets have some, as do the recently released Dick Van
>Dyke Show sets. So they may only be an item of consideration as an archival
>look back for older shows. Don't know. Just my thought.

Could be the studios dont hang on to those promos. Its not as if they will use
them again after the show is aired.

Cernovog

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Windbag1000) wrote:

> Why don't they include the promos for the individual episodes as extras?

Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?

They were releasing single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 175
episodes of TNG. It'd cost about $3,500 to collect the entire series on
VHS. What a joke!

After the crappy way they released TOS, I thought for sure they were
gonna release TNG 1 to 2 episodes per disk at $30 each.

I was just so THRILLED that were releasing them in big season box sets
for (relatively) reasonable prices. (Reasonable for Paramount, you can
get good deals if you shop around.)

I'll live with the lack of extras.

My disappointments (small compared to the alternative -- NOTHING):

No promos like you said
ABSOLUTELY no commentary. ZERO Commentary. You could tell in the
interviews there were episodes EVERYONE wanted to talk about -- LeVar
Burton's directorial debut, Brent Spiner on "Brothers", Gates McFadden
on ... what was her episode called? Genesis? Metamorphosis? I can't
remember...

It should have been no problem to get people together to do selective
commentary on their favorite episodes.

But, like I said, I expected to NEVER get to own these shows on DVD and
now I have them all. They replace my misatched tape collection with a
much better product. So, I'm grateful for what I have, even if I might
sound a little grumpy. ^_^

Waterpetrson7

It could also be a rights issue. Fior instance does Hanna Barbera (Warner
Brothers?) own the rights to The Flintstones promos with The Flintstones
smoking and advertisng Winston Cigarettes, or does Winston cigarettes own the
rights to those Flintstones promos?

Technically, the commercials were part of the shows a lot back then.

The Jack Benny Show had commercials as part of the show itself, and The Burns &
Allen Show made a joke in the actual show itself about a commercial seen during
the show, but you don't get the joke at all if you don't see the commercial.
Therefore, I would say that the commercial was an integral part of that show,.

Waterpetrson7

>Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?

that's one of the best questions or best statements so ffar.>hey were releasing
single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
>pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 1

okay. That part I don't understand. I have some of the original VHS episodes of
"Star Trek" by Paramount on dvd. And the 2-part episode "The Menagerie" is all
on the same one tape.

And it is in full, with all of the opening and closing credits of both episodes
in the appropriate places.

And I believe that there's also 2 promos on that particular tape.

Michael Rogers

Waterpetrson7 wrote:

> >Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?
> >

> that's one of the best questions or best statements so ffar.>hey were releasing
> single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
> >pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 1

> okay. That part I don't understand. I have some of the original VHS episodes of
> "Star Trek" by Paramount on dvd. And the 2-part episode "The Menagerie" is all
> on the same one tape.

I think the poster was talking about releases of the later ST series.

Mike

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) (Waterpetrson7) wrote:

>It could also be a rights issue. Fior instance does Hanna Barbera (Warner
>Brothers?) own the rights to The Flintstones promos with The Flintstones
>smoking and advertisng Winston Cigarettes, or does Winston cigarettes own the
>rights to those Flintstones promos?

Good question. The producers would own the trademarks on the
characters, but whether they actually owned the commercials, I doubt
it. Or it would be a joint ownership.

>Technically, the commercials were part of the shows a lot back then.
>
>The Jack Benny Show had commercials as part of the show itself, and The Burns &
>Allen Show made a joke in the actual show itself about a commercial seen during
>the show, but you don't get the joke at all if you don't see the commercial.
>Therefore, I would say that the commercial was an integral part of that show,.

The DVD sets of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW include, as extras, promo spots
done by the cast for the sponsors Cheer (laundry detergent), Joy
(dishwashing liquid), and Kent (cigarettes). The Kent spots were
included as unadvertised Easter Eggs, and I wonder if it was because
the DVD producers didn't want it to appear as if they were condoning
the practice of smoking.

-- jayembee

SRT

"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ws.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Windbag1000) wrote:
>
>. . . Oh please, Why does Paramount do ANYTHING?
>
> They were releasing single episodes of Star Trek on VHS for 20 bucks a
> pop. They showed no mercy for 2-part episodes. There are about 175
> episodes of TNG. It'd cost about $3,500 to collect the entire series on
> VHS. What a joke!
>
> After the crappy way they released TOS, I thought for sure they were
> gonna release TNG 1 to 2 episodes per disk at $30 each.
> . . .

.. . . you mean like the Farscape and Andromeda DVDs - talking about a major
ripoff!

srt

p.s. when are they going to start releasing the Voyager and Enterprise
series on DVD?

Joshua Zyber

"SRT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T_Pvb.17358$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> p.s. when are they going to start releasing the Voyager and Enterprise
> series on DVD?

February 24th.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/11_20.html