Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hornblower: The Adventure Continues

Hornblower: The Adventure Continues

anthony

The third A and E Hornblower set is being released in December. Amazon
says it's a widescreen transfer.
Would anyone know if it is going to be anamorphically enhanced, as it
is for instance in Region 4? If it isn't, I'll probably buy the Region
Four instead.

anthony

I meant of course 'The New Adventures' !

Java Jive

It's not exactly what you're asking, but I would be interested to know if
there is anyone else out there who like myself was raised on the books -
where of course, like radio, the picture is so much better - and who gave
up watching after the first couple of episodes because the adaptation was so
crap? CTTOI, so was the film starring Gregory Peck.

If you haven't already discovered them, I recommend the original books by C
S Forester, they're really so much better, not to mention cheaper ... and
btw if you want to know where the concept for the Sharpe series may have
originated, read "Death To The French" by the same author.

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Would anyone know if it is going to be anamorphically enhanced

anthony

Hi there
Yes, I asked the Q about the Hornblower series -- both my wife and I
find the series v. entertaining, but you're quite right that they're
not the books!
I started reading the Hornblower books when I was about 10, still own
them all, and a few interesting adjuncts such as Forrester's 'The
Hornblower Companion'. And of course his 'The African Queen'.
Lately I've been reading the terrific Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin
cycle of novels by Patrick O'Brien -- I've just been re-reading those,
and am on the final one right now -- 'Blue at the Mizzen'.
They're rightly acclaimed, but I've got to admit that Hornblower stays
my favourite. Of the novels, I guess 'Lieutenant Hornblower is my
absolute favourite.
Pity about the movie with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayonnaise -- how
could they get it so wrong and totally boring!
Cheers

Java Jive

We were being read 'Mr Midshipman Hornblower', one installment per week, in
English class in school - old-fashioned boarding school with all the little
good and much bad that that entails, this being part of the good. I too
would have been about ten at the time. After about three or four weeks I
just couldn't wait 'til next week, and got the book out of the library.
Never used to read much before that, but never looked back afterwards. Read
them all, including the one he never quite finished which I chose when I
won a Maths Prize, 'Hornblower And The Hotspur'. Think my favourite is
probably either the 'The Happy Return' or 'Flying Colours'.

Then went on to G A Henty and Nevil Shute, both equally good.

Sadly, I think most of my C S Forrester rotted away when I lived in a very
damp house for a while, though I inherited my step-father's the complete
works of Nevil Shute when my mother died, including one, just one, I hadn't
previously discovered. Saving it up for a rainy day.

I'm glad you've discovered the books too.

Regards

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi there
> Yes, I asked the Q about the Hornblower series -- both my wife and I
> find the series v. entertaining, but you're quite right that they're
> not the books!
> I started reading the Hornblower books when I was about 10, still own
> them all, and a few interesting adjuncts such as Forrester's 'The
> Hornblower Companion'. And of course his 'The African Queen'.
> Lately I've been reading the terrific Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin
> cycle of novels by Patrick O'Brien -- I've just been re-reading those,
> and am on the final one right now -- 'Blue at the Mizzen'.
> They're rightly acclaimed, but I've got to admit that Hornblower stays
> my favourite. Of the novels, I guess 'Lieutenant Hornblower is my
> absolute favourite.
> Pity about the movie with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayonnaise -- how
> could they get it so wrong and totally boring!
> Cheers

Invid Fan

In article <3fbacda3$0$64733$(E-Mail Removed)>, Java Jive
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's not exactly what you're asking, but I would be interested to know if
> there is anyone else out there who like myself was raised on the books -
> where of course, like radio, the picture is so much better - and who gave
> up watching after the first couple of episodes because the adaptation was so
> crap? CTTOI, so was the film starring Gregory Peck.

My father loved the books... in fact, his last request was for me to
get a copy of one from the library the day before he died (for some
reason he never bought books, prefering to pay the library late fees
^_^). Having seen Master and Commander today, I'm in the mood to buy
the Hornblower novels as I haven't read them in 20 years. Are there no
recent, good, hardcover releases? All I see in stores and online are a
line of softcovers from the mid-80's. Looks good, but in memory of dad
nice hardcovered editions would be better...

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

anthony

Most of my Hornblower novels are old hardcovers from the 1930s, 40s
and 50s which I managed to pick up secondhand along the way....
I guess the only quick check would be to try Amazon.co.uk and com, and
maybe Barnes and Noble -- there were fairly recently very good
hardcover compendium collections with 2 or 3 novels per edition. One
was called 'Captain Hornblower RN'. They would be pretty cheap online,
and might be worth chasing that way.
Down here in Australia the pool of secondhand books isn't as great as
in the UK or US; I use http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/ a lot; it
leads to some great results.
cheers, Anthony

Bustm

"anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Pity about the movie with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayonnaise -- how
> could they get it so wrong and totally boring!

The movie had one virtue: after watching it when it was first broadcast on
TV, I was informed by my father that the film was based on a series of
novels. I ended up reading them all. It led me to seek out other
Napoleonic era nautical novels such as those by Kent and others, but my
favorites are the O'Brien novels.

tireddad

That's a good question. Honestly, I'm not sure, but you may find that
info on the website: http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/horatio_hornblower/

I actually just found out that they're adding the next two
installments--first since spring of 2001 I'd guess. Its an excellent
series and I'm actually preorering the DVD's. I already have the 2nd
and the 3rd of december on my tivo set to record.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (anthony) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I meant of course 'The New Adventures' !

Stan Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) > in
alt.video.dvd, tireddad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>That's a good question.

WHAT'S a good question?

harder to follow
previous text it's a lot
When you put your comments before

And in fact you didn't even quote the "question".

http://OakRoadSystems.com