Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Any 6.1 DVD Movies Out Yet ??

Any 6.1 DVD Movies Out Yet ??

H E Pennypacker

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:05:19 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Waterpetrson7) wrote:
>>>
>>>Yes. R1 is the USA, Canada, and I think it also includes Mexico

>>Actually, Mexico is Region 4.
>>

>Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
>tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
>illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that ****!!!! I can see having
>french.

What about Puerto Rico as it is in Region 1?

Spanish speakers: 3,437,120 speakers in Puerto Rico, 90% of the
population (1996).

re: illegals: It is just terrible that people should seek a better
place to live. Its goes against everything America stands for

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, H E Pennypacker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:05:19 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

>>>Actually, Mexico is Region 4.
>>>

>>Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
>>tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
>>illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that ****!!!! I can see having
>>french.
>>

>What about Puerto Rico as it is in Region 1?
>
>Spanish speakers: 3,437,120 speakers in Puerto Rico, 90% of the
>population (1996).
>
>re: illegals: It is just terrible that people should seek a better
>place to live. Its goes against everything America stands for

I have no problem with people wanting to come to America to live, just do it
LEGALLY!!!!! Its wrong to treat them as anything other than illegals if they
arent here legally. I am so tired of spending so much of my income taken in
taxes to fund for services and **** for them.

Jordan Lund

"Mindy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<2S2ub.275168$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I have found only one, Mel Gibsons When We Were Soldiers......any
> others.....just bought a new Yamaha receiver .....

The 4 disc version of the Two Towers has 6.1 DTS.

- Jordan

Bob

"Mindy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:2S2ub.275168$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have found only one, Mel Gibsons When We Were Soldiers......any
> others.....just bought a new Yamaha receiver .....

Actually that's not a real 6.1 audio track. The rear center surround
channel is derived from the left surround and right surround channels.
That's why Dolby Labs even insists Dolby EX be referred to as a "5.1" system
rather than 6.1. Just check the verbiage on the back on new DVDs like "The
Two Towers" extended edition. You have "Dolby Surround EX 5.1" and "DTS-ES
6.1 Discrete" listed.

Bob

"Waterpetrson7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

sound
> movies are in 6.1 sound whenever the dvd is treleased, whether the dvd

says it
> or not, because the sound for Dolby's back center channel is matrixed

sound,
> although the other channels are discrete.

Dolby does not claim that. They insist Dolby EX is a 5.1 system, and even
mandate the 5.1 notation in trademark useage in DVD product design and other
supporting literature:
http://www.dolby.com/trademark/co.in.1200.MarkSurEX.pdf

Text from section 3.2 of the paper:
"Also, it is important to note that consumers have come to expect the term
'5.1' to refer to 5.1-discrete channels of audio (five full-range channels
plus a Low Frequency Effects, or LFE, channel). Dolby Digital Surround EX
carries 5.1 discrete audio channels with a matrix-encoded back surround
channel. It is therefore not a true 6.1-channel system, and the term '6.1'
should not be used to describe it. In the future new formats may carry more
than 5.1 channels of audio, including 6.1 discrete channels, and it is
therefore important to prevent consumer confusion by distinguishing between
the 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Surround EX format and true 6.1-channel
formats."

H E Pennypacker

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:28:10 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, H E Pennypacker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:05:19 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

>>>Then why in the heck do we have to put up with spanish subtitles and audio
>>>tracks on our region one disks????? To capitulate to the mass hordes or
>>>illegals flooding the southwest??? I hate that ****!!!! I can see having
>>>french.
>>>

>>What about Puerto Rico as it is in Region 1?
>>
>>Spanish speakers: 3,437,120 speakers in Puerto Rico, 90% of the
>>population (1996).
>>
>>re: illegals: It is just terrible that people should seek a better
>>place to live. Its goes against everything America stands for
>>

>I have no problem with people wanting to come to America to live, just do it
>LEGALLY!!!!! Its wrong to treat them as anything other than illegals if they
>arent here legally. I am so tired of spending so much of my income taken in
>taxes to fund for services and **** for them.

Illegal immigrants should be deported but not vilified. Millions of
Americans also benefit from their cheap labor (Farm, Manual labor,
etc) so to say that they increase your taxes is over simplifying
things.