Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Gods Must be Crazy on DVD

The Gods Must be Crazy on DVD

Colin Caulkins

I've been notified by Amazon.com that The Gods Must be Crazy is set to be
released in r1 in February. This information came none too soon, as I
had been considering buying the bare-bones, full-frame South African
release. Does anyone know if the r1 is going to be anamorphic widescreen?
What about a commentary? I suppose it's too much to hope for that there
will be the option to hear the Afrikaans portions with subtitles, rather
than dubbed into English.

Colin

Derek Janssen

Colin Caulkins wrote:

> I've been notified by Amazon.com that The Gods Must be Crazy is set to be
> released in r1 in February.

Well, either that, or all those "February 2004" default glitches from
three years ago are finally catching up with them...

Derek Janssen (egad, this makes me feel old)

Brett Bayne

This is what I wanna know. When I first saw
TGMBC in the theaters, I enjoyed it very much.
Then I saw it later, possibly on video, and it
had been completely re-dubbed with different
actors' voices. What's up with that? I want to
see the original version again.

Colin Caulkins

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Colin Caulkins wrote:

>> I've been notified by Amazon.com that The Gods Must be Crazy is set to be
>> released in r1 in February.

> Well, either that, or all those "February 2004" default glitches from
> three years ago are finally catching up with them...

I think now it must have been some sort of glitch. I just re-checked the
page on Amazon and it no longer gives a February release date or the
option to pre-order. Instead, it's gone back to the old "The studio is
currently not producing this title on DVD" boilerplate. Crap.

Colin

Colin Caulkins

Brett Bayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is what I wanna know. When I first saw
> TGMBC in the theaters, I enjoyed it very much.
> Then I saw it later, possibly on video, and it
> had been completely re-dubbed with different
> actors' voices. What's up with that? I want to
> see the original version again.

Not having seen it in the theater, I wasn't aware that it had been
entirely re-dubbed for video by different actors. I had assumed that
only the Afrikaans portions had been looped in English. This is all the
more reason why TGMBC needs to get a decent release on DVD, but it looks
like that won't happen any time soon.

Colin

Sydney Assbasket

>Oops, my mistake....Whadjaknow'boutthat?: ^_^
>http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/11_24.html
>
>(And just because they're blackmailing you into buying Gods II with it
>doesn't mean you have to watch it--
>N!xau didn't want to make the sequel, and it shows.)

The second one is funny. Sigh, more DVDs to add to the list. I guess I'll
head on down to Wal-Mart and stock up on Ramen noodle for next year's
sustenance.

Remove "moc" to reply.

Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
revolving door.
- Willy Walker

Derek Janssen

Colin Caulkins wrote:

>>>I've been notified by Amazon.com that The Gods Must be Crazy is set to be
>>>released in r1 in February.

>>Well, either that, or all those "February 2004" default glitches from
>>three years ago are finally catching up with them...

> I think now it must have been some sort of glitch.

Oops, my mistake....Whadjaknow'boutthat?: ^_^
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/11_24.html

(And just because they're blackmailing you into buying Gods II with it
doesn't mean you have to watch it--
N!xau didn't want to make the sequel, and it shows.)

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Mike McGee

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Colin Caulkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been notified by Amazon.com that The Gods Must be Crazy is set to be
> released in r1 in February. This information came none too soon, as I
> had been considering buying the bare-bones, full-frame South African
> release. Does anyone know if the r1 is going to be anamorphic widescreen?
> What about a commentary? I suppose it's too much to hope for that there
> will be the option to hear the Afrikaans portions with subtitles, rather
> than dubbed into English.
>
> Colin

The release will be a double-feature with Part I and Part II on the
same DVD. Yes, they will be anamorphic. However, there's no commentary
track.

The included subtitles will be:
English, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Portugeuse, Spanish, Thai

Here's a link to the press release, with the full details/specs and
cover art image:

http://www.thedigitalreview.com/foru...=&threadid=471

--
Mike McGee
http://www.thedigitalreview.com

Sydney Assbasket

>The release will be a double-feature with Part I and Part II on the
>same DVD. Yes, they will be anamorphic. However, there's no commentary
>track.

Yes! So long, crappy pan-and-scan VHS tapes!

Now if Columbia just wouldn't **** up the transfer...