Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ONE FROM THE HEART Theatrical re-release, and DVD!

ONE FROM THE HEART Theatrical re-release, and DVD!

Xenu's Sister

One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.

The theatrical release dates are here:

http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html

Information about the DVD release is here:

http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html

This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
audience who loved it.

(Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
Rouge, think of the people who hated it. Would you take a negative
opinion from someone who hated it seriously? It's fine if they don't
like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

Amps

"Xenu's Sister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
> is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
> city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.

Anything with Tom Waits involved is alright with me.

Tallulah Blanket

Xenu's Sister wrote:

> One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
> is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
> city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
>
> The theatrical release dates are here:
>
> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
>

> Information about the DVD release is here:
>
> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
>

> This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
> wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
> audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
> audience who loved it.
>
> (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
> noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
> yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
> Rouge, think of the people who hated it. Would you take a negative
> opinion from someone who hated it seriously? It's fine if they don't
> like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

The movie was, in my view, justifiably damned on release. Unlike Moulin
Rouge, which was unjustifiably praised. Frankly, I can't see the point
of releasing this theatrically. It's really nothing like Moulin Rouge
and I can imagine it flopping all over again for a new audience.

Chris Moorehead

In article <BCftb.1045$(E-Mail Removed) m>,

> "Xenu's Sister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
> > is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
> > city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
> >

> Anything with Tom Waits involved is alright with me.

This film was particularly significant for Waits fans because it was on
the set that he met his future wife, Kathleen Brennan -- she's been a
major influence on his work (& has co-written much of it) from
"Swordfishtrombones" onward.

Chris, Tom fanatic

--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
Toronto, Canada

"Where did this idea come from that everybody deserves
free education, free medical care, free whatever?
It comes from Moscow, from Russia. It comes straight
out of the pit of hell."
~ Texas Rep. Debbie Riddle

Derek Janssen

Amps wrote:

> "Xenu's Sister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
>>is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
>>city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.

> Anything with Tom Waits involved is alright with me.

As long as it's not a musical.

Derek Janssen (now, "Bram Stoker's Dracula", OTOH)
(E-Mail Removed)

Derek Janssen

Tallulah Blanket wrote:

> Xenu's Sister wrote:
>
>> One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
>> is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
>> city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
>>
>> The theatrical release dates are here:
>>
>> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
>>

>> Information about the DVD release is here:
>>
>> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
>>

>> This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
>> wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
>> audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
>> audience who loved it.
>>
>> (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
>> noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
>> yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
>> Rouge, think of the people who hated it.

(You know...The heterosexual ones.)

>> Would you take a negative
>> opinion from someone who hated it seriously?

....Would you let someone who seriously liked it babysit your children?

> It's fine if they don't
>> like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

> The movie was, in my view, justifiably damned on release. Unlike Moulin
> Rouge, which was unjustifiably praised. Frankly, I can't see the point
> of releasing this theatrically. It's really nothing like Moulin Rouge
> and I can imagine it flopping all over again for a new audience.

Yes, to be fair, people actually DID sing in "Moulin"--

However, even those who [ahem] *liked* "Moulin" [repeats hinting "And we
know who THEY are, don't we, kiddies?" cough], and its Ecstacy-addled
ADD style, may both be disappointed that all they get for their troubles
are Natassja Kinski, Raul Julia, Waits groaning, Teri Garr as a romantic
lead, five total minutes of discernible dancing, and a bunch o' gorgeous
looking studio backdrops that were Coppola's entire be-and-end-all
justification for making the project.

....Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

Derek Janssen (besides, if it was up to 80's musicals, wouldn't they be
happier watching "Yentl"?)
(E-Mail Removed)

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tallulah Blanket wrote:
>
>> Xenu's Sister wrote:
>>
>>> One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
>>> is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
>>> city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
>>>
>>> The theatrical release dates are here:
>>>
>>> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
>>>

>>> Information about the DVD release is here:
>>>
>>> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
>>>

>>> This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
>>> wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
>>> audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
>>> audience who loved it.
>>>
>>> (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
>>> noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
>>> yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
>>> Rouge, think of the people who hated it.

>(You know...The heterosexual ones.)
>
>>> Would you take a negative
>>> opinion from someone who hated it seriously?

>...Would you let someone who seriously liked it babysit your children?
>
>> It's fine if they don't
>>> like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

>> The movie was, in my view, justifiably damned on release. Unlike Moulin
>> Rouge, which was unjustifiably praised. Frankly, I can't see the point
>> of releasing this theatrically. It's really nothing like Moulin Rouge
>> and I can imagine it flopping all over again for a new audience.

>Yes, to be fair, people actually DID sing in "Moulin"--
>
>However, even those who [ahem] *liked* "Moulin" [repeats hinting "And we
>know who THEY are, don't we, kiddies?" cough], and its Ecstacy-addled
>ADD style, may both be disappointed that all they get for their troubles
>are Natassja Kinski, Raul Julia, Waits groaning, Teri Garr as a romantic
>lead, five total minutes of discernible dancing, and a bunch o' gorgeous
>looking studio backdrops that were Coppola's entire be-and-end-all
>justification for making the project.

Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
naked (she has a nice bod) a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!
Along with the release of Mamoulian's "Applause" and the start
(hopefully) of the Warner cartoons on DVD, this is the best video
release news I've heard in years..

>...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
>"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .

Steve .

>Derek Janssen (besides, if it was up to 80's musicals, wouldn't they be
>happier watching "Yentl"?)
>(E-Mail Removed)

Tallulah Blanket

Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
> naked (she has a nice bod)

Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off, right?

a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
> sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
> Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
> all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
> laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.

>>...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
>>"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

> Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .

Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
the same condescending response.

Tallulah Blanket

Tallulah Blanket wrote:

> Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
>> naked (she has a nice bod)

> Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off,
> right?
>
> a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
>
>> sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
>> Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
>> all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
>> laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

> The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
> that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
> cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.
>
>>> ...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
>>> "Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

>> Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .
>>

> Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
> Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
> the same condescending response.

Oh, and before the whining starts about my being wrong on the aspect
ratio, take a read of this:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...from+the+heart

or visit:

http://www.storarovittorio.com/versi...ing/univ1.html

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:31:12 GMT, Tallulah Blanket
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
>> naked (she has a nice bod)

>Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off, right?

I've been a fan of, and have appreciated, Terri Garr since her
appearance in Star Trek. Her scenes in "One from the Heart" are part
of my fascination with her work.

>a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
>> sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
>> Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
>> all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
>> laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

>The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
>that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
>cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.

It is most DEFINITELY not 1:1.37. Look at the title credits, and the
framing of the musical scenes where much of the action is cut off, and
the junkyard shots where Kinski and Forrest are outside the frame on
either side during one shot. Also I have the Coppola autobiography
with a whole chapter devoted to this film, and he discusses his
"technirama miracle" with the wonderful work of Vittorio Storaro (Last
Tango in Paris.) generally acknowledged to be the best cinematographer
in the business at the time. Where on earth did you get that
misinformation from?

>>>...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
>>>"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

>> Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .
>>

>Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
> Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
>the same condescending response.

My preference is for silent film, late 1920's talkies, 1930's films in
general, Musicals, and Film Noir. There aren't that many "modern"
films that I like, apart from T2, a couple of Arnie's other films, a
few romantic dramas such as "A Walk on the Moon' and just about
anything else with Diane Lane, and with Tilda Swinton, Robert DeNiro,
or Harvey Kietel. And a couple of "off the wall" titles like "One from
the Heart" and "Cecil B. Demented." Also some French and British film
is on my radar. I LOVE Will Hay and Norman Wisdom.

The appreciation of film is not a personality contest or Call to Arms,
methinks 'tis YOU who lacks the spirit.

. Steve .