Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > AC/DC "Live at Donnington" &. Rolling Stones' "Four Flicks" dvd comments

AC/DC "Live at Donnington" &. Rolling Stones' "Four Flicks" dvd comments

Thomas Bell

I picked up the Rolling Stones massive "Four Flicks" 4 dvd box yesterday
along with AC/DC's "Live At Donnington" dvd.

First off, the AC/DC show was originally released on vhs and laserdisc
in the early 90's and featured AC/DC's 1991 Donnington show. Of the
three live AC/DC dvds officially out so far, this one is easily the best
of the bunch. Great show and fantastic audio mix plus a few cool
features added for this dvd that weren't on the original release. The
dvd is enhanced for widescreen tvs and the video quality is good but not
great. It appears someone really jacked up the contrast compared to the
old vhs and ld release.

The sound is incredible and full of punch if a bit sterile (redone in
the studio?). The stereo pcm track is markedly better and louder then
the old prologic stereo track on the laserdisc but the Dolby Digital 5.1
remixed audio track is amazing. Perfectly balanced with the mix almost
as aggressive on the rear speakers as the front, it blows the laserdisc
out of the water. The 45 minute commentary track (which abruptly ends
about halfway through the concert) with the Young brothers is actually
pretty good if a bit rambling at times (they sound like elves or
trolls). There's also an option to view dedicated camera angles for a
few songs per band member except now ex-drummer Chris Slade. I actually
like the minor extra of checking out each of the the album covers with a
couple minute commentary from them about each album when you select an
album icon.

For a decade old catalog release, I have to commend AC/DC for taking
some time to substantially upgrade (picture "enhancement" aside) this
release for dvd and offering it at a great price (I paid $12). No doubt
the upgrade was due to the Brazilian bootleg (copied from the laserdisc)
that's been available in most stores for the last year or two.
Hopefully, "Let There Be Rock" will get the same level of attention soon!

The Rolling Stones "Four Flicks" is simply incredible even for a casual
Stone's fan like myself.

Spread over 4 dvds are 3 nearly complete concerts; a stadium show, an
arena show and a theater show all with substantially different setlists
plus a 4th dvd with a couple features on the world tour plus a bunch of
bonus "bootleg" tracks, mostly from a 2002 LA theater show and a studio
recording session. The video is clean but not 16:9 enhanced and the
audio is a perfect DD 5.1 mix (or pcm stereo).

There are options for (fairly candid and self depriciating) band member
commentary on many tracks. There's plenty of extra features including
short documentaries on some of the support bands like AC/DC that played
onstage with them in Europe and Canada (Angus is looking really old!),
rehearsal footage galore, isolated camera angles on individual band
members for some songs and so on. Lots of snippets of songs from many
different shows all over the world are included.

Other then some songs deleted from the three shows and some live
screwups that have been cleaned up afterwards in the studio, this set is
faultless and a steal at less then 30 bucks.

One more thing, I hear some record stores are pulling Stone's cds and
dvds off their shelves in protest of the exclusive deal The Stones made
with Best Buy who will be the only seller of the dvd set for four
months, effectively shutting out any other retailer through the
Christmas season.

Anyone pick up the Pearl Jam live dvd?

T.B.

Shinner

Thomas Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FB2D25C.8090908
@socal.rr.com:

> First off, the AC/DC show was originally released on vhs and laserdisc
> in the early 90's and featured AC/DC's 1991 Donnington show.

There's an OOP DVD of this, isn't there? I'm sure there is and you can
still get it from some DVD supplier based in Brazil (though at a heavy
price once shipping is figured in, somewhere around $46 last time I
checked).

Anyway, I picked this one up on Tuesday as well...I usually stop in BB on
tuesday's just for a browse and was happy to find this, especially for $10.
Good deal...

> Of the
> three live AC/DC dvds officially out so far, this one is easily the best
> of the bunch.

Don't like Stiff Upper Lip Live? Verty good sound and definitely a much
better picture than Donington (not surprising considering the time period).

Thomas Bell

Shinner wrote:
> Thomas Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3FB2D25C.8090908
> @socal.rr.com:
>

>>First off, the AC/DC show was originally released on vhs and laserdisc
>>in the early 90's and featured AC/DC's 1991 Donnington show.

> There's an OOP DVD of this, isn't there? I'm sure there is and you can
> still get it from some DVD supplier based in Brazil (though at a heavy
> price once shipping is figured in, somewhere around $46 last time I
> checked).

It's actually a bootleg manufactured by a Brazilian outfit that bootlegs
hard rock and metal concerts off out of print domestic and very rare
Japanese laserdiscs. How it and others from the same outfit managed to
be sold (for rediculous prices) in legitimate stores like Tower Records
and Best Buy as "imports" is beyond me. Gun's n' Roses (actually there
record company) also just put out their old concerts previously
available in the 90's on vhs and laserdisc on bare bones dvd to thwart
the "Brazilian imports" being sold here.

> Anyway, I picked this one up on Tuesday as well...I usually stop in BB on
> tuesday's just for a browse and was happy to find this, especially for $10.
> Good deal...
>

>>Of the
>>three live AC/DC dvds officially out so far, this one is easily the best
>>of the bunch.

> Don't like Stiff Upper Lip Live? Verty good sound and definitely a much
> better picture than Donington (not surprising considering the time period).

I like it and agree the image quality is far superior to Donnington '91,
but I much prefer the performance and setlist on the older show.

T.B.

Shinner

Thomas Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> It's actually a bootleg manufactured by a Brazilian outfit that
> bootlegs hard rock and metal concerts off out of print domestic and
> very rare Japanese laserdiscs.

Ahh, didn't know that. I looked it up with DVD Profiler and it also
reported a UK release...but I realise that info is all dependent on the
accuracy of the person that submitted it.

> How it and others from the same outfit
> managed to be sold (for rediculous prices) in legitimate stores like
> Tower Records and Best Buy as "imports" is beyond me.

Didn't realize that either....

> I like it and agree the image quality is far superior to Donnington
> '91, but I much prefer the performance and setlist on the older show.

I'll take either really...the DTS on SUL Live sounds great.