Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > my article on copying DVD movies

my article on copying DVD movies

JB

I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
yourself (to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)), including the experience
you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.

1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
not?
2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
should be illegal and why:

-- making a back-up copy of a DVD
-- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
-- copying a DVD and selling it
-- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks

Thanks for all your help,

- JB

Skid

"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
> copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
> yourself (to (E-Mail Removed)), including the experience
> you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.
>
> 1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
> not?
> 2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
> 3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
> just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
> legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
> 4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
> be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
> 5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
> should be illegal and why:
>
> -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
> -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
> -- copying a DVD and selling it
> -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks
>
> Thanks for all your help,

Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.

If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
start, not to mention any law school in the country.

Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
asking shoppers at the mall.

On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
subject they'd be all to happy to share.

MR_ED_of_Course

in article pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51, Skid at
(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 11/12/03 9:10 AM:

> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
>> copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
>> yourself (to (E-Mail Removed)), including the experience
>> you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.
>>
>> 1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
>> not?
>> 2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
>> 3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
>> just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
>> legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
>> 4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
>> be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
>> 5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
>> should be illegal and why:
>>
>> -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
>> -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
>> -- copying a DVD and selling it
>> -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks
>>
>> Thanks for all your help,

> Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
> info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
> ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.
>
> If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
> MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
> start, not to mention any law school in the country.
>
> Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
> send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
> asking shoppers at the mall.
>
> On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
> SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
> subject they'd be all to happy to share.

To save us all some time, why don't we just copy and paste:

"You're a thieving pirate! Go **** your mother and shut the **** up, you top
posting retard."

To get a better sense of the real thing, copy and paste that a few thousand
times, or just create a filter for "macrovision", "copy", "kids" and so on
and then have it automatically post the quote.

Skid

"MR_ED_of_Course" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBD7BC91.26CC5%(E-Mail Removed)...
> in article pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51, Skid at
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 11/12/03 9:10 AM:

> > On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
> > SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
> > subject they'd be all to happy to share.

> To save us all some time, why don't we just copy and paste:
>
> "You're a thieving pirate! Go **** your mother and shut the **** up, you

top
> posting retard."

I'm not sure you quite captured the full emotional range of the posts you're
trying to emulate. Try again with a little spittle flying from one side of
your mouth, masturbating furiously with one hand while you type with the
other, and imagine yourself in the throes of an attack of Tourette
Syndrome.

Dick Sidbury

JB wrote:

a bunch of stuff ....

My question is who's your computer literacy instructor and when is the
assignment due.

dick
--it't the type of paper that I might assign to my class. OTOH maybe I
misinterpreted it too.

JB

"Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51>...
> "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
> Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
> info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
> ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.

Actually, it's not an anonymous account at all. How does looking for
opinions equate to free polling, in your mind? And since when does
providing an opinion on a subject mean that you are guilty of a crime?
That's liek saying if you watch a movie about murder you're suddenly a
murderer. Are you living in the United States? Here's an idea --
before you jump to conclusions, look down.

> If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
> MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
> start, not to mention any law school in the country.

I wasn't looking for leads, but thanks anyway.

> Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
> send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
> asking shoppers at the mall.

Hmm, did I say I was looking for statistical data?

- JB

JB

Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bou1vp$1j1t7d$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...

> dick
> --it't the type of paper that I might assign to my class. OTOH maybe I
> misinterpreted it too.

Could be, could be.

- JB

JB

MR_ED_of_Course <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<BBD7BC91.26CC5%(E-Mail Removed)>...
> in article pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51, Skid at
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 11/12/03 9:10 AM:
>
> > "JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
> >> copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
> >> yourself (to (E-Mail Removed)), including the experience
> >> you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.
> >>
> >> 1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
> >> not?
> >> 2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
> >> 3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
> >> just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
> >> legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
> >> 4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
> >> be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
> >> 5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
> >> should be illegal and why:
> >>
> >> -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
> >> -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
> >> -- copying a DVD and selling it
> >> -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks
> >>
> >> Thanks for all your help,

> > Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
> > info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
> > ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.
> >
> > If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
> > MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
> > start, not to mention any law school in the country.
> >
> > Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
> > send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
> > asking shoppers at the mall.
> >
> > On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
> > SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
> > subject they'd be all to happy to share.

> To save us all some time, why don't we just copy and paste:

I think you should try the chatrooms at AOL.

- JB