Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why DID lucas make Greedo shoot first anyway?

Why DID lucas make Greedo shoot first anyway?

Metlhd3138

I mean, it doesnt add anything to Greedo's character to begin with.

RR

This question, and many others, will be answered on the next episode
of.....SOAP.

--
RR

We have wandered into a state of prolonged neurosis because
of the absence of a direct pipeline to the unconscious and we
have then fallen victim to priestcraft of every conceivable sort.

- Terence McKenna

Dick Sidbury

Metlhd3138 wrote:
> I mean, it doesnt add anything to Greedo's character to begin with.

Only Lucas knows for sure. However, this is USENet so we can all be
experts and tell you. My opinion is that Lucas made the entire SW saga
for children. I'm so old that I saw the first movie when it came out
and I was an adult, so I don't quite have the attachement to the
original that many of you do. My nephew, who's about 8 or 9 thinks AOTC
is the greatest movie ever made.

Anyhow, my theory is that Lucas sort of made the entire saga up as he
went along, perhaps having some general idea when he started but perhaps
not completely fleshed out. At the end of the trilogy he realized that
Han was a HERO. And when Hero's combat villains, particularly in works
for children, they do not attack first. So while "fixing" up the
"flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's heroic image.

IMHO
YMMV

dick
-- and even though I don't have the love for the original version of the
trilogy that many of you do, I do have it on Laserdisk, and I have a DVD
burner. So I'm gonna have the original, even if it's only prologic.

RR

Dick Sidbury wrote:
> Metlhd3138 wrote:
>> I mean, it doesnt add anything to Greedo's character to begin with.

> Only Lucas knows for sure. However, this is USENet so we can all be
> experts and tell you. My opinion is that Lucas made the entire SW
> saga for children. I'm so old that I saw the first movie when it
> came out and I was an adult, so I don't quite have the attachement to
> the original that many of you do. My nephew, who's about 8 or 9
> thinks AOTC is the greatest movie ever made.
>
> Anyhow, my theory is that Lucas sort of made the entire saga up as he
> went along, perhaps having some general idea when he started but
> perhaps not completely fleshed out. At the end of the trilogy he
> realized that Han was a HERO. And when Hero's combat villains,
> particularly in works for children, they do not attack first. So
> while "fixing" up the "flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's heroic
> image.

That was much better than my answer.

--
RR

We have wandered into a state of prolonged neurosis because
of the absence of a direct pipeline to the unconscious and we
have then fallen victim to priestcraft of every conceivable sort.

- Terence McKenna

Codswallop

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:25:53 GMT, Dick Sidbury wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> So while "fixing" up the "flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's
> heroic image.

Problem is, most preferred his "anti-hero", or "reluctant hero" image.
I think he also wanted to make Greedo seem more incompetant.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to email)

Max Volume

In article <bos9as$1i221p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Dick Sidbury
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyhow, my theory is that Lucas sort of made the entire saga up as he
> went along, perhaps having some general idea when he started but perhaps
> not completely fleshed out. At the end of the trilogy he realized that
> Han was a HERO. And when Hero's combat villains, particularly in works
> for children, they do not attack first. So while "fixing" up the
> "flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's heroic image.

I don't think his vision was that loose, and I'm pretty sure the
character of Han Solo would have shot first simply because he knew the
situation he was in, he knew Greedo meant business, etc. However, try
explaining that to parents groups who complain when a movie is released
back into theaters that shows someone shooting without it satisfying
the full legal definition of a "self defense" killing. It could have
been as simple as one of George's kids asking why Han shot first, and
of course we'll probably never know. If Greedo shooting first is the
only problem you have with the Special Editions, you're a lot more
tolerant than some I've encountered on Usenet.

Also, like Bugs Bunny cartoons, STAR WARS may have seemed at first
glance to be for kids, but in both cases the creators were making
something they'd like to see. Just as we didn't try to strap ourselves
to rockets and jump off of cliffs when we saw Road Runner cartoons, it
wouldn't necessarily follow that having Han shoot first would be
perceived as a *bad* thing back in '77. Twenty years later, I'm afraid
neither Looney Tunes nor STAR WARS could withstand the scrutiny of
litigious parents seeking a scapegoat when their kids **** up.

buck

In article <bos9as$1i221p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Only Lucas knows for sure. However, this is USENet so we can all be
> experts and tell you. My opinion is that Lucas made the entire SW saga
> for children. I'm so old that I saw the first movie when it came out
> and I was an adult, so I don't quite have the attachement to the
> original that many of you do. My nephew, who's about 8 or 9 thinks AOTC
> is the greatest movie ever made.
>
> Anyhow, my theory is that Lucas sort of made the entire saga up as he
> went along, perhaps having some general idea when he started but perhaps
> not completely fleshed out. At the end of the trilogy he realized that
> Han was a HERO. And when Hero's combat villains, particularly in works
> for children, they do not attack first. So while "fixing" up the
> "flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's heroic image.
>
> IMHO
> YMMV
>
> dick
> -- and even though I don't have the love for the original version of the
> trilogy that many of you do, I do have it on Laserdisk, and I have a DVD
> burner. So I'm gonna have the original, even if it's only prologic.

I also saw the Oringinal as an adult, and loved it the way it was...

My son, who saw it with me (he is now 31) is OUTRAGED about the change, while I give it a
simple tsk, tsk.(I think GL is a "politicaly Correct ass-hole).

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your opinion.

If you have the "Indiana Jones" trilogy set, I think you should watch the documetary disc
carefully. In those documentaries you hear thar Lucas sold Spielberg on the Indy story by
telling him it was a three movie deal and that the were three stories "ready to go". Then
Spielberg says "When the time came to start "Temple Of Doom" there WASNT any story, George
had "Made that up" and they needed to "Make it up as we went along".

As it turns out, "Temple of Doom" is just made up from a lot of action sequences that were
laid out for "Raiders" but couldn't fit into a 2 hour film. They took those sequences and
wrote a story around them.

I like the ORIGINAL Star Wars BEST! Same thing with "Empire" and "Jedi". Will I buy 'em on
DvD? It depends on the price. Will my son buy them???? Probably not, unless George Lucas
finds a way to restore them to thier "ORIGINAL CONTENT".

My son has the original 3 on LD (I forget how many versions but he has ALL of them that were
issued), and he has 3 LD players, so the originals are available to him at any time.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Smaug69

Max Volume <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<121120030302492348%(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> In article <bos9as$1i221p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Dick Sidbury
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyhow, my theory is that Lucas sort of made the entire saga up as he
> > went along, perhaps having some general idea when he started but perhaps
> > not completely fleshed out. At the end of the trilogy he realized that
> > Han was a HERO. And when Hero's combat villains, particularly in works
> > for children, they do not attack first. So while "fixing" up the
> > "flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's heroic image.

> I don't think his vision was that loose, and I'm pretty sure the
> character of Han Solo would have shot first simply because he knew the
> situation he was in, he knew Greedo meant business, etc.

Han fired first because that was who he was- a mercenary and a survivor.

> However, try
> explaining that to parents groups who complain when a movie is released
> back into theaters that shows someone shooting without it satisfying
> the full legal definition of a "self defense" killing. It could have
> been as simple as one of George's kids asking why Han shot first, and
> of course we'll probably never know.

We certainly can't believe anything that Lucas says about it.

Smaug69

Aaron Brezenski

In article <121120030302492348%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Max Volume <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <bos9as$1i221p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Dick Sidbury
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, my theory is that Lucas sort of made the entire saga up as he
>> went along, perhaps having some general idea when he started but perhaps
>> not completely fleshed out. At the end of the trilogy he realized that
>> Han was a HERO. And when Hero's combat villains, particularly in works
>> for children, they do not attack first. So while "fixing" up the
>> "flaws" in Star Wars, he repaired Han's heroic image.

>I don't think his vision was that loose, and I'm pretty sure the
>character of Han Solo would have shot first simply because he knew the
>situation he was in, he knew Greedo meant business, etc. However, try
>explaining that to parents groups who complain when a movie is released
>back into theaters that shows someone shooting without it satisfying
>the full legal definition of a "self defense" killing.

Han was already "not guilty" by virtue of conventional self-defense
law, even by today's standards. If someone's pointing a loaded lethal
weapon at you, you are entitled to use whatever force you need, including
deadly force, to save yourself (unless the individual pointing the weapon
at you is a government agent attempting to apprehend you).

Anyone who believes otherwise is deranged, clinically or otherwise.

--
Aaron Brezenski
Not speaking for my employer in any way.

Justin

Aaron Brezenski wrote on [Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:44:59 +0000 (UTC)]:

> Han was already "not guilty" by virtue of conventional self-defense
> law, even by today's standards. If someone's pointing a loaded lethal
> weapon at you, you are entitled to use whatever force you need, including
> deadly force, to save yourself (unless the individual pointing the weapon
> at you is a government agent attempting to apprehend you).
>
> Anyone who believes otherwise is deranged, clinically or otherwise.

yes, and what makes you think these parents groups aren't deranged in
the overly simplified poorly though out definitions?