Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Columbia TriStar Botching TV Shows on DVD

Columbia TriStar Botching TV Shows on DVD

eb

As soon as Soap, on DVD came out, I was enthusiastic about receiving
complete, unedited episodes, even to the point of excusing the absence
of extras.

I was wrong. As discussed on the Yahoo Soap Group, a comparison of the
DVD episodes with the complete, unedited episodes on the Columbia
House videotapes shows that 4 DVD episodes are edited:

Episode 2 - Edits out Jody singing "There's Nothing Like a Dame" and
the tune the Godfather hums after Danny leaves the sauna.

Episodes 16 and 17 are the syndicated versions, each missing 2 and 1/2
minutes from the complete episodes.

Episode 19 deletes the "On the last episode on Soap" intro.

It should be noted that Columbia TriStar also puts out Sanford and Son
on DVD, and that a second season DVD episode of Sanford and Son,
"Blood is thicker than Junk" incredibly edits out 2 and 1/2 minutes
which appear on the syndicated version.

All of this, of course, is not important in light of what's happening
in the world, but it does show extrememe sloppiness and lack of care
by Columbia TriStar.

JohnW248

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(eb) writes:

>Episode 2 - Edits out Jody singing "There's Nothing Like a Dame" and
>the tune the Godfather hums after Danny leaves the sauna.

Don't know about the rest, but this sounds like a classic RHC licensing
problem. Those songs ain't cheap and they're pretty fussy about how they're
presented. If there was a mistake in the lyric, the might have refused to renew
the home video license. Music was/is normally offered on 7 years licenses so
what you got before might not be what you get today.

John