Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network Worries

Wireless Network Worries

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Dear all,

My window XP computers (peer to peer) using Dlink wireless router and
adapters for files(network drive) and printer sharing...
Wireless setting as below:
SSID: not default name
Network Authentication : Open
Data encryption: WEP
Network key : contain 10 digit
Key index (advanced) : 1
The key is provided for me automatically : uncheck
This is a computer to computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are
not used: uncheck
________________
Enable IEEE 802.1 x authentication for this network: uncheck
(grey out) EAP type : Smart Card or other Certificate
(grey out) Authenticate as computer when computer information is availabe:
checked
(grey out)Authenticate as guest when user or computer information is
unavailable: uncheck
_________________
Connection
Whenever this network is detected, windows can connect to it automatically.
Connect when this network is in range: checked
_____________________

My folder share out as network drive, this mean if someone crack my network
key, they still can't see my share file!
Am I right?? I'm getting more and more worries as I read more news about the
wireless security issue...
Any advise?

Thank a lots

Regards

bob

=?Utf-8?B?bWUyMDA1?=

Hello,

If someone does "crack" your code, any home network resources will be
accessable and transferrable. your router should have more than a WEP
encryption. Look for another type like MAC Filtering which will only allow
your computers MAC Addresses to access the network, IP filetering is useful
but still not as much as MAC Filtering, then all you have to worry about is
if someone finds a way to clone your MAC then cracks the code , (alot more
security for you)

=?Utf-8?B?bWF2ZXJtaWs5OA==?=

the main problem you have is that you are useing WEP encryption-it is I am
afraid garbage and can be cracked by an experienced hacker in 15 minutes.To
solve your problem set encryption to WPA.It is much more secure-end of problem