Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Progressive scan question again....

Progressive scan question again....

Jason Ash

Browsing through the messages on Google, and still don't have an answer
that makes sense to me....

I am looking at replacing my existing DVD player (passing it on to the
mother-in-law actually), and am trying to decide if a progressive scan DVD
player is worth the cost.

I do not have a high-def TV. My existing TV does not support component
video, and is connected via RCA cable. My TV is about a 28" display.

Would a progressive scan player do anything towards possibly reducing
artifacts in the DVDs I watch? An example that I can bring to mind would
be the new Indiana Jones: The Final Crusade. When he is just arrived in
Venice, and is walking over the bridge after grabbing the flower. The
bridge railing has the "stair-step" edge that one often sees in low-res
computer games. Would a progressive scan do anything to help alleviate
this?

Please don't just link to the article on Home Theatre Hi-Fi, I've been
through that and it also doesn't quite answer my question.

Thank you,
Jason A.

Joshua Zyber

"Jason Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns942E6F1D5C4B4jash7165wideopenwest@216.196. 97.132...
> I do not have a high-def TV. My existing TV does not support

component
> video, and is connected via RCA cable. My TV is about a 28" display.

Your television does not support progressive scan. A progressive scan
DVD player would do nothing for you until you upgrade your TV. You would
have to turn the progressive scan function off, in which case you're
back to where you started with your current DVD player.

The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem and
would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
current television.

Jason Ash

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> waxed eloquent
in news7urb.18301$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> "Jason Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns942E6F1D5C4B4jash7165wideopenwest@216.196. 97.132...
>> I do not have a high-def TV. My existing TV does not support

> component
>> video, and is connected via RCA cable. My TV is about a 28" display.

> Your television does not support progressive scan. A progressive scan
> DVD player would do nothing for you until you upgrade your TV. You

would
> have to turn the progressive scan function off, in which case you're
> back to where you started with your current DVD player.
>
> The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem and
> would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
> current television.

THANK YOU!

A clear and concise answer!

Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

I kind of figured the answer would be something like this, but it is nice
having someone who knows say so.

Jason A.

Doonie

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:42:11 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:

>The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem and
>would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
>current television.

Or it could be from the 16:9 --> 4:3 downconversion process..
--
www.cloakanddagger.ca

Joshua Zyber

"Doonie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >The stair-stepping artifact you describe is an interlacing problem

and
> >would be lessened or resolved on a progressive display, but not your
> >current television.

> Or it could be from the 16:9 --> 4:3 downconversion process..

Fair point. Either way, a new TV is in order.

news:Xns942E8B0477F5Ajash7165wideopenwest@216.196. 97.132...
> Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
> hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

Well if you want a decent HDTV, you'll have to spend a little more than
that, even.

Jason Ash

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> waxed eloquent in
news:LQzrb.18731$(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> "Jason Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns942E8B0477F5Ajash7165wideopenwest@216.196. 97.132...
>> Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
>> hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

> Well if you want a decent HDTV, you'll have to spend a little more than
> that, even.

Yah. All the ones I like would set us back more than the car we just
bought....

Maybe I can talk her into letting me get the TV instead of a second car...

Jason A.

Rutgar

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:12:20 -0600, Jason Ash
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> waxed eloquent in
>news:LQzrb.18731$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net:
>
>> "Jason Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns942E8B0477F5Ajash7165wideopenwest@216.196. 97.132...
>>> Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me drop the several
>>> hundred dollars for a HiDef TV.

>> Well if you want a decent HDTV, you'll have to spend a little more than
>> that, even.
>>

>Yah. All the ones I like would set us back more than the car we just
>bought....
>
>Maybe I can talk her into letting me get the TV instead of a second car...
>

>Jason A.

You can get a Toshiba 51" RP-HDTV for about $1800.00 U.S. Must not
be much of a car.

- Rutgar