Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Using a Gateway Connected DVD Player Remote with GoVideo D2730?

Using a Gateway Connected DVD Player Remote with GoVideo D2730?

Sentler

I'm looking into a connected DVD player, and have identified the
Gateway Connected DVD Player and Go Video D2730 Networked DVD Player.
It appears they are nearly the same unit. I had a few questions:

1. Would the Gateway Connected DVD Player Remote control work on the
GoVideo D2730?

2. The Gateway Connected DVD Player seems to have firmware updates
that allow DIVX to be streamed. It doesn't look like there are updates
for the GoVideo D2730 on their website. What gives?

3. I'd like to use Snap Stream ( http://www.snapstream.com ) to have
the PC function as a Tivo, and then watch from the networked DVD
player. Has anyone tried this? If so, How well does this work?

4. Any other recommendations or user experiences from either of these
two devices?

Thanks!

Sam Doan

You are right. The Gateway and GoVideo are the same unit. There's
another one also, it's Onmedia DVD. They work exactly the same and use
the same software.
Correction, the software make the player play DivX, not the firmware.
So you can use Gateway software to make GoVideo play DivX, and before
Gateway upgraded their software, I'd used OnMedia software to play
Divx on the Gateway DVD.
I don't know if they use the same remote control. I would buy the
either the OnMedia DVD or Gateway because they are cheaper than the
GoVideo.