Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > what do i need to write DVDs?

what do i need to write DVDs?

Colon Terminus

Hi Marcellus,

Okay, good, now we have a complete picture.

Here's what you'll need for a professional workstation, not a home hobby
setup.

At least a 3 Ghz. Pentium-IV processor based system.
Windows 2000 is better for A/V, but you may have to settle for XP.
2GB DDR RAM.
A reasonably sized hard disk to hold the O/S and applications.
160 - 240 GB RAID0 for workspace.
Top end Radeon or geForce video.
Soundblaster Audigy2 audio.
Logitech Z560 or Z680 speakers.
A DVD reader (Lite-on makes a good one).
A DVD burner from Pioneer or Plextor.
A video capture device not subject to Macrovision. *

* I'd recommend an extenal USB 2.0 device for this purpose. Personally,
I like the Pinnacle DVC-150 along with a Macrovision killer from
Lik-Sang. Both ADS Instant DVD 2.0 and Adaptech VideOh! DVD aren't
subject to Macrovision.

Software:
You'll need DVD Decrypter - free
TMPGEnc (excellent MPG tools) - free or under $50 for encoding
Other free software ... see http://www.dvdrhelp.com
As for authoring software, you gotta make your own choice. There's a lot
of good stuff out there, especially from Adobe and Ulead.

Miscellaneous:

Most people consider the -R format to be more compatible with set-top
players than the +R format, though players manufactured in the last
couple of years shouldn't have a problem with either format.

I don't think we have enought experience yet to know just how compatible
DVDs or meida burned at 8X might be, caveat emptor.

Depending on how many copies of a DVD you need to distribute, you might
consider a stand-alone DVD duplicator as well.

If I've omitted anything or you need additional advice, contact me via
email and we can continue the discussion.

"Marcellus Wallace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4fbqb.10815$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> "Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2h9qb.422368$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi Marcellus,
> >
> > Although you've gotten several excellent responses, the fact is that

no
> > one can advise you without one critical piece of information.
> >
> > You mention "demo reels". What are these? What format are they in?

What
> > media are they on?
> >
> > From your post, we know that the desired output is a DVD that'll

play on
> > any standard DVD player. But before we can advise you about what is
> > necessary in the middle to accomplish your desired outout, we need

> > have a full definition of the input.

> Good point. Demo reels are 10-15 minutes long. They are usually a

few
> different scenes from an actor's appearances on film and television.

Some
> of the stuff we have to transfer to the hard drive is on video tape

and the
> rest of it is on DVD. So, for example, what I'd be doing is lifting

> client's scene from a videotape of Friends, a scene from the Swordfish

DVD,
> etc. I want to be able to have them all on the hard drive so I can

cut a
> different reel for each actor depending on what job I'm pitching an

actor
> him/her for. Anyway, we have been doing these on video tape up to

this
> point, and as you can imagine it's time-consuming and the quality

isn't that
> great. We want to make the switch to DVD because the quality is

better and
> because we can do non-linear editing. I hope that helps explain our

needs a
> little better. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Max Volume

In article <qCPqb.479751$(E-Mail Removed)>, Colon Terminus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Okay, good, now we have a complete picture.
>
> Here's what you'll need for a professional workstation, not a home hobby
> setup.

> A video capture device not subject to Macrovision. *

Wake the **** up, man. You wouldn't know professional gear if it fell
on you. Try a TBC, moron.

Frode

Marcellus Wallace

"Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Colon Terminus wrote:
> >Okay, good, now we have a complete picture.
> >Here's what you'll need for a professional workstation, not a home hobby
> >setup.

> Why, then, do you go on to describe a home hobby setup? Half the stuff you
> list is irrelevant to his needs. Most of the rest is way over the top.

Ok, so what's not over the top? I don't want to overspend. Any suggestions
would be much appreciated. Do I really need a 3 GHz processor? Can I get
by with a 1.8? Do I really need RAID? I'm not opposed to spending money,
but I don't want to do it if I don't need to.

Dick Sidbury

Marcellus Wallace wrote:
> "Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>Colon Terminus wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, good, now we have a complete picture.
>>>Here's what you'll need for a professional workstation, not a home hobby
>>>setup.

>>Why, then, do you go on to describe a home hobby setup? Half the stuff you
>>list is irrelevant to his needs. Most of the rest is way over the top.

> Ok, so what's not over the top? I don't want to overspend. Any suggestions
> would be much appreciated. Do I really need a 3 GHz processor? Can I get
> by with a 1.8? Do I really need RAID? I'm not opposed to spending money,
> but I don't want to do it if I don't need to.

you don't need raid. You also don't need a particularly good video
card. Probably 1 gig of memory is sufficient. I'd recommend two disk
drives, one for the O/S, applications and stored data, and one as a
scratch disk for doing the editing on. You can't buy a disk that's too
big. [ I actually use an AMD processor (2500+ I think) with an nvidia
chipset motherboard in a Shuttle miniature case (XPC SN41G) with dual
video built in about 1000 with 2 120gb drives and DVD burner but not
icluding the cost of 2 monitors] but the experts seem to be
recommending the P-IV with hyperthreading.
Plus software

dick

stacey

Colon Terminus wrote:

> Hi Marcellus,
>
> Okay, good, now we have a complete picture.
>
> Here's what you'll need for a professional workstation, not a home hobby
> setup.

snip

> Top end Radeon or geForce video.

??? What difference is that going to make? Why waste money of a "top end
radeon" when something like a Matrox G550 would work better in 2D and is
only $100?
--

Stacey

stacey

Marcellus Wallace wrote:

> "Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Colon Terminus wrote:
>> >Okay, good, now we have a complete picture.
>> >Here's what you'll need for a professional workstation, not a home hobby
>> >setup.

>> Why, then, do you go on to describe a home hobby setup? Half the stuff
>> you list is irrelevant to his needs. Most of the rest is way over the
>> top.

> Ok, so what's not over the top? I don't want to overspend. Any
> suggestions
> would be much appreciated. Do I really need a 3 GHz processor?

No but you need at LEAST a 2.4/800 P4.

> Can I get
> by with a 1.8?

No

> Do I really need RAID?

No

> I'm not opposed to spending money,
> but I don't want to do it if I don't need to.

Then don't waste it on a "top end radeon" and spend the money on a faster
CPU.

--

Stacey

MR_ED_of_Course

in article bohvae$1em715$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de, Dick Sidbury at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 11/7/03 9:33 PM:

> Marcellus Wallace wrote:
>> "Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why, then, do you go on to describe a home hobby setup? Half the stuff you
>>> list is irrelevant to his needs. Most of the rest is way over the top.

>> Ok, so what's not over the top? I don't want to overspend. Any suggestions
>> would be much appreciated. Do I really need a 3 GHz processor? Can I get
>> by with a 1.8? Do I really need RAID? I'm not opposed to spending money,
>> but I don't want to do it if I don't need to.
>>

> you don't need raid. You also don't need a particularly good video
> card. Probably 1 gig of memory is sufficient. I'd recommend two disk
> drives, one for the O/S, applications and stored data, and one as a
> scratch disk for doing the editing on. You can't buy a disk that's too
> big. [ I actually use an AMD processor (2500+ I think) with an nvidia
> chipset motherboard in a Shuttle miniature case (XPC SN41G) with dual
> video built in about 1000 with 2 120gb drives and DVD burner but not
> icluding the cost of 2 monitors] but the experts seem to be
> recommending the P-IV with hyperthreading.
> Plus software
>
> dick

Though many of us who edit video and author DVDs professionally would highly
recommend a Mac. Curious Marcellus, why are you not considering using a
system that is universally reviewed as being better suited for media (video)
production?

Go ahead and get a PC and deal with all the issues and hassles, come back
with your posts of, "this doesn't seem to work with that" and "my audio
isn't synching", and....

Max, where are you now?

Frode

Marcellus Wallace wrote:
>> Why, then, do you go on to describe a home hobby setup? Half the stuff
>> you list is irrelevant to his needs. Most of the rest is way over the
>> top.

>Ok, so what's not over the top? I don't want to overspend. Any
>suggestions would be much appreciated. Do I really need a 3 GHz
>processor? Can I get by with a 1.8? Do I really need RAID? I'm not
>opposed to spending money, but I don't want to do it if I don't need to.

Others have sorta answered the above, so this'll be kinda redundant.

No, you don't *need* a 3GHz CPU. However, since you mention some of your
existing content is on VHS and you'd like to move it to DVD, CPU might be
an issue depending on capture card and the codec you choose to store it
with. Then again, if you spend a bit on the card chances are it has
hardware mpeg2 encoding anyways so the CPU issue disappears again.

I believe I've read many actually prefer to pipe analog video through a DV
camcorder and out to the PC via firewire. The camcorder thus converts it to
the DV codec, a pretty robust and low compression codec that's perfect for
editing (each frame compressed individually as opposed to mpeg2).

A gig of ram will do you just fine. When it comes to harddrive space
getting a motherboard that supports RAID0 won't cost a whole lot. Seems
most prosumer boards have it and that's been the case for a year couple of
years. Since you're talking pretty short clips and limited editing though,
you probably won't miss the added speed much though. I've edited hour long
home videos on my box and after I lost a few hundred GB when a drive in my
RAID0 broke years ago I haven't used it and still I don't have a speed
issue with editing even if I use the OS drive. Using a separate drive for
the data files is still a good recommendation though. And, of course, you
don't want to pick up an old 5400 rpm drive. It, again, will depend on the
data rate of the codec you wish to use. DV for example is roughly
200MB/minute. DVD compatible mpeg2 much less so. For DV a 7200rpm ata100
will keep up nicely (might want to opt for one of them "optimized for video
editing" drives, although none of mine are and I've never had a problem).
But if you start messing with codecs with even higher data rates you might
start running into problems at some point. But that's easily fixed by
adding a second drive and RAID0'ing the two data drives together. Not a
high cost considering harddrives are cheap and your motherboard will likely
have RAID unless you buy the cheapest POS card you can find. Which wouldn't
be wise from a stability point of view either.

You *are* likely going to be spending some time on this computer though. I
wouldn't go "as cheap as I can get away with" on all components if I were
you. A mid range 2.5ish CPU won't set you back much. Opting for a
motherboard with RAID0 isn't much more expensive than one without. Was it
$4000 you mentioned? You can get a more than powerful enough computer for
well under half of that if you buy components and put them together
(assuming that's an option). I'm not quite sure about the analog video you
already have and might want to capture. You might want to post a specific
request on that. The TV in on video cards aren't something I read a lot of
praise about when it comes to capturing so you'll want opinions from people
experienced with it. Unless you have access to a DV camcorder, which would
mean you likely just need a $50 (probably less) firewire card and you're
in business. Not all DV camcorders have analog inputs or can pipe it
straight through though.

- --
Frode

Colon Terminus