Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Lots of tv on dvd, almost too much!

Lots of tv on dvd, almost too much!

Evil

well not quite, but it's gettign there. Just last year, the TV on DVD
section in Best Buy was a single bookcase, now it's almost the entire
side of an aisle wya. And there are new series being released almost
monthly now. Meanwhile, season 2's come out around 6months later?
(Well, except for LITTLE HOUSE).

Hell, in a couple/few years, i can see release dates being totally
crammed with season boxes of tv series, so much that i'll actually
have to think about what i can and can't buy! And i still haven't
gotten around to getting the OUTER LIMIT sets. I'm saving for FREAKS
AND GEEKS and awaiting NEWSRADIO, THREES COMPANY, SPOOKS, LARRY SANDER
2 (is that every going to happen?), .... and i haven't grabbed
SOPRANOS 4 yet. *sigh*

the one saving grace (for me at least) is that tv shows have been
mostly crap for a while so i'm not eagerly awaiting another DAWSONS
CREEK or FELICITY or ALIAS dvdset, saving me a ton of cash.

i suppose i can cancel my cable now

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Evil) wrote:

>well not quite, but it's gettign there. Just last year, the TV on DVD
>section in Best Buy was a single bookcase, now it's almost the entire
>side of an aisle wya. And there are new series being released almost
>monthly now.

In the past year, TV series releases have accounted for about 10% of
DVD sales. The studios are paying attention. Where before they
believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.

>Hell, in a couple/few years, i can see release dates being totally
>crammed with season boxes of tv series, so much that i'll actually
>have to think about what i can and can't buy!

But that's always the case, even with movies. It's all a matter of
triage, where you get to decide what you can or can't live without.
Or live without for the immediate future. Even if you decide that you
can't get them now, if they exist, you might still be able to get them
months or years down the road.

-- jayembee

Mark Spatny

jayembee,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> The studios are paying attention. Where before they
> believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
> the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
> willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.

Here's a wild fact. According to a recent article in the Hollywood
Reporter, the studios have discovered that for some shows, DVD sales
bring in as much revenue as syndication. That's HUGE. It will totally
change the way studios think about marketing, and financing, new series.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jayembee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Evil) wrote:
>
> >well not quite, but it's gettign there. Just last year, the TV on DVD
> >section in Best Buy was a single bookcase, now it's almost the entire
> >side of an aisle wya. And there are new series being released almost
> >monthly now.

> In the past year, TV series releases have accounted for about 10% of
> DVD sales. The studios are paying attention. Where before they
> believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
> the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
> willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.

Now the question becomes, will this hurt the large syndication market?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Rutgar

On 3 Nov 2003 13:30:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Evil) wrote:

>well not quite, but it's gettign there. Just last year, the TV on DVD
>section in Best Buy was a single bookcase, now it's almost the entire
>side of an aisle wya. And there are new series being released almost
>monthly now. Meanwhile, season 2's come out around 6months later?
>(Well, except for LITTLE HOUSE).
>
>Hell, in a couple/few years, i can see release dates being totally
>crammed with season boxes of tv series, so much that i'll actually
>have to think about what i can and can't buy! And i still haven't
>gotten around to getting the OUTER LIMIT sets. I'm saving for FREAKS
>AND GEEKS and awaiting NEWSRADIO, THREES COMPANY, SPOOKS, LARRY SANDER
>2 (is that every going to happen?), .... and i haven't grabbed
>SOPRANOS 4 yet. *sigh*
>
>the one saving grace (for me at least) is that tv shows have been
>mostly crap for a while so i'm not eagerly awaiting another DAWSONS
>CREEK or FELICITY or ALIAS dvdset, saving me a ton of cash.
>
>i suppose i can cancel my cable now

I think it's great that so many TV series are coming out on DVD.
But, like you, I'm falling behind. I have 7 season sets, that I
haven't been able to watch yet.

-Sex and the City #4
-Sopranos #4
-Xena #2
-Simpsons #2
-Babylon 5 #1 (I don't know if I'll ever finish this one. It's really
not as good as I remembered).
-Battlestar Galactica (complete) - well except for "Galactica 1980",
which is probably a good thing.
-Deep Space Nine (I'm currently only half way through DS-9 Season 5,
and Season 6 comes out tomorrow)

However, I'm not complaining.

- Rutgar

Derek Janssen

Invid Fan wrote:

>>In the past year, TV series releases have accounted for about 10% of
>>DVD sales. The studios are paying attention. Where before they
>>believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
>>the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
>>willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.

> Now the question becomes, will this hurt the large syndication market?

....WHAT syndication market??

Syndicated reruns went out with Nick at Nite--
Ever since every local UHF station in the country was bought up by
either Fox, UPN, or Pax, what few "Seinfeld" and "Frasier" reruns are
still being sold nowadays are usually banished to the wee-hour airings
if at all...

No *wonder* studios have inextricably worked DVD into their post-network
series budget plans.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Michael Walker

"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:031120032000440236%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jayembee
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Evil) wrote:
> >
> > >well not quite, but it's gettign there. Just last year, the TV on DVD
> > >section in Best Buy was a single bookcase, now it's almost the entire
> > >side of an aisle wya. And there are new series being released almost
> > >monthly now.

> > In the past year, TV series releases have accounted for about 10% of
> > DVD sales. The studios are paying attention. Where before they
> > believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
> > the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
> > willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.
> >

> Now the question becomes, will this hurt the large syndication market?

That's their problem. They choose to be greedy and cut out parts of shows
for more commercials, no end credit theme music because of promo that last
commercial shown before show returned, and screw up the show with popup
ads...of course I'll pay for DVD sets.

Invid Fan

In article <bo6v81$s7p$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Invid Fan wrote:
>
> >>In the past year, TV series releases have accounted for about 10% of
> >>DVD sales. The studios are paying attention. Where before they
> >>believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
> >>the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
> >>willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.

> > Now the question becomes, will this hurt the large syndication market?

> ...WHAT syndication market??
>
> Syndicated reruns went out with Nick at Nite--
> Ever since every local UHF station in the country was bought up by
> either Fox, UPN, or Pax, what few "Seinfeld" and "Frasier" reruns are
> still being sold nowadays are usually banished to the wee-hour airings
> if at all...

Network progaming on those stations is two hours a night. That leaves
22 hours a day for syndicated programing. (checks local listings) The
local Fox, UPN and WB stations have syndicated sitcoms from 5pm till
8pm, then start them again at 10pm. No syndicated dramas, though, until
the weekends.

> No *wonder* studios have inextricably worked DVD into their post-network
> series budget plans.

Most of these shows would have ended up on one of the countless cable
stations. Sci Fi would have run even one season shows into the ground,
but now with stuff like Firefly going to DVD first that has to
semi-kill that station's interest in it.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>, Mark
Spatny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> jayembee,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > The studios are paying attention. Where before they
> > believed that there wasn't a market for TV series on video because of
> > the large syndication market here, they now realize that people *are*
> > willing to plunk down money to own TV shows.

> Here's a wild fact. According to a recent article in the Hollywood
> Reporter, the studios have discovered that for some shows, DVD sales
> bring in as much revenue as syndication. That's HUGE.

But is it short term? Have sales of the first season of Buffy died off,
resulting now in less revenue then syndication?

> It will totally
> change the way studios think about marketing, and financing, new series.

With 'cult' shows like Firefly, you may even see the birth of direct to
dvd series. Why stop produciton when the network cancels you, if you
think you can sell the new episodes on dvd?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

CAndersen

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>...WHAT syndication market??
>
>Syndicated reruns went out with Nick at Nite--
>Ever since every local UHF station in the country was bought u

Those networks only program prime time. There's still lots of time left to
fill up with syndicated shows.

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.