Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?

Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?

Murder

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (jayembee) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Murder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Not only that, but Horror movies, even bad ones, are
>> remembered long after romances, spy dramas and the like
>> are dated and long forgotten.

> Perhaps by people with more interest in horror movies (especially
> bad ones) than "romances, spy dramas and the like".

Wings won the first Academy Award, but no one remembers it. Bride Of
Frankenstein they remember.

>> No one says' "Hey, remember that movie where that guy kisses
>> that girl, and they end up happily ever after?", they say,
>> "Hey, remember that movie where the guy has a brain-sucking
>> worm-like creature hiding in his trousers, and this chick
>> unzips the guy to give him a bj, and..." (Brain Damage)

> It's interesting that you compare one extremely vague description
> to one rather specific one in order to support your point.

That is pretty interesting, huh?

> I can pretty much guarantee that more people remember GONE
> WITH THE WIND (romance)

*RALPH!* Ugh. What a wretched film.

, NOTOTIOUS (spy drama), and SINGIN'
> IN THE RAIN (and the like) than remember BRAIN DAMAGE.

The example I used was, admittedly, too recent. My point is that there
are scenes in horror movies that stick in people's minds, whether they
want to remember them or not. I dig that.

>> Horror movies are the very definition of visceral,

> That doesn't necessarily make them enjoyable to all people.

Tittilation is a sublime form of enjoyment.

>> and they stay with people.

> So does heartburn.
>
> Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of horror movies that I
> enjoy, from the classic Universal monster movies to THE HAUNTING
> to SUSPIRIA.

Sweet. I enjoy those, too.

But I don't find them particularly more memorable
> or engaging than non-horror films. On the contrary, I find
> most horror movies (especially those made in the past 30 years)
> to be as tedious as you find westerns.

I take it you disagree with me, then. Well, this is the place for
disagreeing. I enjoy your disagreeing more than I enjoy someone just
posting "Me too!"

Murder

(E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Black Locust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Yet again, not a horror movie. Nor was it even gory. I'm puzzled by
>> your placement of it on this on this list.

> YOu have a wacko killing off people, and decapitating one woman. What
> else do you need to be classified as horror?

So Macbeth is horror?

Wade365

<< YOu have a wacko killing off people, and decapitating one woman. What
> else do you need to be classified as horror?

So Macbeth is horror?

Yep... I loved that about the story... essentially it CAN be classified as a
horror story in a lot of ways... you have the obvious bits with the Weird
Sisters and prophecy, you have the Dagger of the Mind, you have treachery and
you have betrayal...

A horror story all the way... quintessential literature at the same time, but a
great horror story... it's one of the ways I get younger readers to check it
out, if there's blood and nasty evil things, kids will dig it... American kids,
anyway.

: )

Murder

(E-Mail Removed) (Wade365) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> << YOu have a wacko killing off people, and decapitating one woman.
> What
>> else do you need to be classified as horror?

> So Macbeth is horror?
> >>

> Yep... I loved that about the story... essentially it CAN be
> classified as a horror story in a lot of ways... you have the obvious
> bits with the Weird Sisters and prophecy, you have the Dagger of the
> Mind, you have treachery and you have betrayal...
>
> A horror story all the way... quintessential literature at the same
> time, but a great horror story... it's one of the ways I get younger
> readers to check it out, if there's blood and nasty evil things, kids
> will dig it... American kids, anyway.
>
>: )

Out, damn spot!

Yep, my favorite work by the bard, thanks largely to Polanski's
interpretation, which I seem to remember gave me nightmares as a kid.

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote:

> Gory = horror.

Uhhh, no. Scares = horror.

> YOu have a wacko killing off people, and decapitating one woman. What
> else do you need to be classified as horror?

How about some genuine scares? Identity is quite clearly a suspense
thriller.

> You obviously have bad tastes in movies. I guess you think Dances
> with Wolves is a POS too, huh?

Nice way to condense the entire genre. Yes, any movie starring Kevin
Costner is a POS <sarcasm off>. Unlike you, I was only attacking one
flick, opposed to the entire genre. Just because I don't like Open Range
doesn't mean I hate every Western out there.

So I guess you think The Exorcist is a POS too, huh? After all, all
horror movies are "toilet trash" according to you.

> Horror movies will never win Oscars. The genre is toliet trash.

You have a lot of nerve generalizing the entire horror genre after you
so ignorantly labeled Kill Bill a horror movie. Stick to genres you know
something about because you obviously know jack **** about horror movies.
--
BL

Black Locust

In article <qOzqb.28818$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"AceoHearts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So am I. I have one question for you, do you have the original box set or
> the 2nd release without the red cross?

The one without the red cross, unfortunately. Though it is the Best Buy
version with the bonus disc.

--
BL

jayembee

Murder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (jayembee) wrote:

> Wings won the first Academy Award, but no one remembers it.

Actually, quite a lot of us do.

> Bride Of Frankenstein they remember.

Sure, but so what? It happens to be a memorable film. The
fact that it's a horror film doesn't make any more or less
memorable than CASABLANCA or THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
or THE THIN MAN or THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

>>> No one says' "Hey, remember that movie where that guy
>>> kisses that girl, and they end up happily ever after?",
>>> they say, "Hey, remember that movie where the guy has a
>>> brain-sucking worm-like creature hiding in his trousers,
>>> and this chick unzips the guy to give him a bj, and..."
>>> (Brain Damage)

>> It's interesting that you compare one extremely vague
>> description to one rather specific one in order to support
>> your point.

> That is pretty interesting, huh?

Interesting in that it's a cheat. If in the latter case, you
said "Hey, remember that movie with that butt-ugly monster
that killed those guys?" you wouldn't have a point.

>> I can pretty much guarantee that more people remember
>> GONE WITH THE WIND (romance)

> *RALPH!* Ugh. What a wretched film.

I'm not a fan of it myself (though "dull" is about the worst
adjective I'd apply to it), but that's beside the point. It's
one of the most popular movies of all time, and that makes
it far more memorable to a majority of people.

>> NOTOTIOUS (spy drama), and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (and the
>> like) than remember BRAIN DAMAGE.

> The example I used was, admittedly, too recent.

It has less to do with its vintage, than its obscurity.

> My point is that there are scenes in horror movies that
> stick in people's minds, whether they want to remember
> them or not. I dig that.

But there are things in all kinds of films that stick in
people's minds. Gene Kelly tap dancing in the rain in
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. Rick and Ilsa at the airport in
CASABLANCA. The pull-back crane shot of the wounded soldiers
in GONE WITH THE WIND. Cary Grant being buzzed by the
airplane in NORTH BY NORTHWEST. The Stargate sequence in
2001. Deckard and Roy Batty's conversation on the rooftop
in BLADE RUNNER. Nastassja Kinski holding the dying homeless
man in FARAWAY, SO CLOSE. The climactic swordfight in
SCARAMOUCHE.

These scenes (and many, many others) stick in my mind (and
the minds of many other people as well) as strongly as any
scene in any horror movie.

I think the problem is that you're too focussed on horror
films. If that's what you like, more power to you. But I
think it's preventing you from understanding that (a) not
all people have the same reaction to them that you do, and
(b) other people can have as strong a reaction to other
types of films that you have to horror films.

-- jayembee

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote:

>>> kill bill

>> This is not a horror movie. Admittedly it's VERY gory.
>> Gorier than the majority of horror movies I've seen,
>> but it's still not a horror movie.

> Gory = horror.

Gore is horrifying, yes. But the presence of gore in a
film does not make it a horror movie. Otherwise, a hell
of a lot of war movies would be categorized as horror
films.

>>> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch
>>> a wholesome movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see
>>> limbs and blood squirting.

>> Speak for yourself. As a big horror fanatic, I can't get
>> enough of it. Especially since most of the recent horror
>> movies are pretty good.
>>
>> And Open Range? Gah. Looks like a POS.

> You obviously have bad tastes in movies.

I would say his tastes are different. Not necessarily bad.

> I guess you think Dances with Wolves is a POS too, huh?

Maybe. Does it matter? A lot of people think so, even those
who have reasonably good taste in movies.

> Horror movies will never win Oscars. The genre is toliet
> trash.

While I'm not as vehemently anti-Oscar as a lot of folks,
I would hardly say that means anything vis a vis the value
of horror films. It's equally true that Science Fiction
films will never win Oscars. That doesn't make SF "toilet
trash".

Besides, your comment is not strictly true. If one believes
(as you do) that IDENTITY falls into the horror genre, the
same would be true of THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, which won
an Oscar in all of the top give categories (Best Picture,
Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor, Best
Actress) for its year.

And all that is completely aside from the fact that there
are several well-made, highly-praised, and literate horror
movies.

As much as I think a number of the people in this thread
over-praise horror and sneer at other genres, I think you
are too easily dismissing it.

-- jayembee

AceoHearts

I got it the day it was released, so I am lucky enough to have the "rare"
red cross box. What a great set.

AceoHearts