Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?

Why so Many Horror Movies This Year?

Murder

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
> movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
> squirting.

Well, I love horror and find most westerns and dramas to be a bit dull,
so I can't pretend to be distressed by an increase in horror movies. To
be fair, though, I don't watch horror for the gore, but since gore fx is
an art form in itself, I think there's something to be said for it. At
least it isn't all done by CGI yet.

It occurs to me, BTW, that the goriest movie this year isn't even in the
horror genre. So go pick on the chop-socky crowd.

Murder

(E-Mail Removed) (Smaug69) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed) m>...
>> It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
>> that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
>> of blood and tons of horror.

> No, the studios look at how cheap horror films are to make and that
> they don't have to have big name stars(read Big Paychecks) and that
> they always make a profit on them. It's been that way for quite some
> time.

Except that whenever the horror genre cycles back, it becomes fashionable
for that generation of stars to appear in horror movies. Then there are
big-time actors like Johnny Depp (and, in his time, Vincent Price) who
actually feel at home with the genre.

> For example, the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre cost about $10
> million to make and has grossed over $65 million. In contrast, Runaway
> Jury- an adaptation of a bestseller by John Grisham with big names
> Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman and John Cusack- cost $60 million and has
> only grossed about $35 million.

Good! People are sick of seeing Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman, and
John Grisham is pretty well disposable.

You

On 3 Nov 2003 07:56:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Alvin)
wrote:

>This year has seen a flood of horror movies.

This year isn't any different from any other year. Horror movies just
seem to be more successful these days.

>The bad thing is that since these movies are suceeding at the box
>office, Hollywood is just going to pump out more gross out blood
>fests.

One would think so. Making money is what they're in business for.

>Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
>movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
>squirting.

Then watch Seabiscuit. It's not like all 25 screens in every cineplex
are showing horror movies.

Scott Streeter

"eNo" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Scott Streeter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) writes:
> >
> > > It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
> > > that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
> > > of blood and tons of horror.
> > >
> > > This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
> > > the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
> > > horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:

> > > kill bill

> > Wouldn't really consider this a horror movie...

> horror... horrible... what's one syllable among friends?
>
> --
> eNo
> "Why am I here?"

What! Kill bill was awsome

--
Scott Streeter
(E-Mail Removed)

Justin

Murder wrote on [4 Nov 2003 04:47:35 GMT]:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>

>> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
>> movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
>> squirting.
>>

> Well, I love horror and find most westerns and dramas to be a bit dull,
> so I can't pretend to be distressed by an increase in horror movies. To
> be fair, though, I don't watch horror for the gore, but since gore fx is
> an art form in itself, I think there's something to be said for it. At
> least it isn't all done by CGI yet.

Of course, watching a "wholesome drama" in the theatre is very often not
necessary. Whereas an action/horror movie has the FX to draw you to the
big screen

Wade365

I like westerns, but I can't stand the fact that most of them are the same...
with all the horses and men sharing the trail together... big ol' horses with
leather saddles tightly strapped and all that men-alone time... sitting in
leather chaps... talking about ropin' things...

.... I'd rather watch a wholesome movie where teenagers who have premarital sex
are killed for their sinnin'...

.... after we get to see the girlie's ninnies, o'course...

.... now THAT'S entertainment!!!

: )

Murder

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)2go.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com:

> Murder wrote on [4 Nov 2003 04:47:35 GMT]:
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>>

>>> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
>>> movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
>>> squirting.
>>>

>> Well, I love horror and find most westerns and dramas to be a bit
>> dull, so I can't pretend to be distressed by an increase in horror
>> movies. To be fair, though, I don't watch horror for the gore, but
>> since gore fx is an art form in itself, I think there's something to
>> be said for it. At least it isn't all done by CGI yet.
>>

> Of course, watching a "wholesome drama" in the theatre is very often
> not necessary. Whereas an action/horror movie has the FX to draw you
> to the big screen

Not only that, but Horror movies, even bad ones, are remembered long
after romances, spy dramas and the like are dated and long forgotten. No
one says' "Hey, remember that movie where that guy kisses that girl, and
they end up happily ever after?", they say, "Hey, remember that movie
where the guy has a brain-sucking worm-like creature hiding in his
trousers, and this chick unzips the guy to give him a bj, and..." (Brain
Damage)

Horror movies are the very definition of visceral, and they stay with
people.

Stephen Cooke

Jackie Harvey says "Hollywood, lay off the gore!"

swac

AceoHearts

> cold creek manor
Horror is a stretch Thriller is a better title.

> alien - director cut

Sci-Fi

> kill bill

Action

> identity

Thriller

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Alvin) wrote:

> It's like all the Hollywood execs got together last year, and decided
> that the mass public is outcrying for blood and gore. We wants loads
> of blood and tons of horror.
>
> This year has seen a flood of horror movies. In fact, it seems like
> the number one movie at the box office for the last 3 months has been
> horror. Here are some releases off the top of my head:

> kill bill

This is not a horror movie. Admittedly it's VERY gory. Gorier than the
majority of horror movies I've seen, but it's still not a horror movie.
Now if you wanna see a Quentin Tarantino horror movie, buy From Dusk
till Dawn.

> identity

Yet again, not a horror movie. Nor was it even gory. I'm puzzled by your
placement of it on this on this list.

> Anyone else sick of all the horror? I much rather watch a wholesome
> movie like Seabiscuit or Open Range than see limbs and blood
> squirting.

Speak for yourself. As a big horror fanatic, I can't get enough of it.
Especially since most of the recent horror movies are pretty good.
Opposed to the wave of crappy Scream clones we got in the late 90's.

And Open Range? Gah. Looks like a POS.
--
BL