Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Looney Tunes Golden Collection

Looney Tunes Golden Collection

PW

Haven't really seen anybody's responses to this new set.

The shorts look great, the extras are very informative
(particularly the commentaries), and it's just nice
to finally have these on DVD!

Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
and I know some people would have liked a chronological DVD set,
but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

I'm just happy to have "Duck Amuck" on DVD finally.
And I'm glad Warner included 2 of the "Gossamer"
shorts on these, because he seems to be a forgotten
character....every time I mention Looney Tunes to
my friends lots of them don't know who he is.

Anyone else?

PW

BubbCoop

<<Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?")>>

I saw in another post there are plans to release other DVDs sets of shorts. The
same poster mentioned there were 1100 different Loony Tunes shorts?

Douglas Bailey

PW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The shorts look great...

Actually, the picture quality is so good that it's a little bit
distracting: you can see the flecks of dust on the cels, moving from
frame to frame. There were one or two spots where I thought this was
part of the 'toon until I looked closer.

But yes, the restorations are generally excellent.

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey ((E-Mail Removed))---------------
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

Wade365

Am I blind, stupid, or a little of both... they didn't include the hunting
trilogy ("Shoot the Duck! Shoot The Duck!") with Rabbit vs. Duck season?

Derek Janssen

PW wrote:
> Haven't really seen anybody's responses to this new set.
>
> The shorts look great, the extras are very informative
> (particularly the commentaries), and it's just nice
> to finally have these on DVD!
>
> Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
> shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
> and I know some people would have liked a chronological DVD set,
> but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

We've already had a couple of national-press articles about Warner being
besieged by "Where's our 'WOD?' and 'One Froggy Evening'??" villagers
with their torches and pitchforks, and Warner reps barricading the doors
with:
A) "We have to save *something* marketable for Set 2!",
and
B) "These things're in bad shape, it takes months to restore sixty of
these--No wonder we can only do one set a year!"

(On a more positive note, well, I, er, THINK we're past Warner's earlier
"If nobody buys the 4-disk, we'll only put out 2-disk sets in the
future" hurdle from here on in...)

> I'm just happy to have "Duck Amuck" on DVD finally.
> And I'm glad Warner included 2 of the "Gossamer"
> shorts on these, because he seems to be a forgotten
> character...

In point of fact, they included the two where his name was Rudolph.
(...AAAUGH!!!--WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END??? Look, you've even got the
damn subtitles, read 'em yourself!)

> every time I mention Looney Tunes to
> my friends lots of them don't know who he is.

Well...maybe nobody SAW "Duck Dodgers & the Return of the 24th-1/2th
Century"??
(Or maybe they just don't *like* the cloying and irritatingly talk-ass
70's-80's post-retirement Chuck cartoons?)

Derek Janssen

r7di697

What's the one where Elmer is a Viking and it's an opera? Elmer keeps
singing, "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..." I loved that cartoon. Is it
in the collection?

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bo12u0$kk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wade365 wrote:
>
> > Am I blind, stupid, or a little of both...

> (Well, I don't see no glasses and cane on ya, boy...)
>
> > they didn't include the hunting
> > trilogy ("Shoot the Duck! Shoot The Duck!") with Rabbit vs. Duck season?

> That's "Duck, Rabbit, Duck!", and no--Two out of three.
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

Derek Janssen

Wade365 wrote:

> Am I blind, stupid, or a little of both...

(Well, I don't see no glasses and cane on ya, boy...)

> they didn't include the hunting
> trilogy ("Shoot the Duck! Shoot The Duck!") with Rabbit vs. Duck season?

That's "Duck, Rabbit, Duck!", and no--Two out of three.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Invid Fan

In article <bo12no$j0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> PW wrote:
> > Haven't really seen anybody's responses to this new set.
> >
> > The shorts look great, the extras are very informative
> > (particularly the commentaries), and it's just nice
> > to finally have these on DVD!
> >
> > Yes, it would have been nice to have other specific
> > shorts along with these ("What's Opera Doc?"),
> > and I know some people would have liked a chronological DVD set,
> > but I think what we got isn't all that bad!

> We've already had a couple of national-press articles about Warner being
> besieged by "Where's our 'WOD?' and 'One Froggy Evening'??" villagers
> with their torches and pitchforks, and Warner reps barricading the doors
> with:
> A) "We have to save *something* marketable for Set 2!",
> and
> B) "These things're in bad shape, it takes months to restore sixty of
> these--No wonder we can only do one set a year!"

They can point to Disney only putting out one or two Mickey sets a year

> (On a more positive note, well, I, er, THINK we're past Warner's earlier
> "If nobody buys the 4-disk, we'll only put out 2-disk sets in the
> future" hurdle from here on in...)

I saw empty shelves at three stores, so it's selling.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Pug Fugley

"r7di697" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:reUob.1101$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> What's the one where Elmer is a Viking and it's an opera? Elmer keeps
> singing, "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..." I loved that cartoon. Is

it
> in the collection?

Isn't that 'What's Opera Doc'? No, it's not there.

r7di697

Rats.

news:WyUob.628$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...