Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Night of the Living Dead (cheap DVD)

Night of the Living Dead (cheap DVD)

Modemac

Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
"Kingdom of the Spiders," and a bare-bones, no-frills DVD of "Night of
the Living Dead." I haven't watched the DVD of Shatner's epic yet
(It'll be perfect for bringing to X-Day!), but I was pleasantly
surprised when I took a glance at "Night of the Living Dead." The DVD
has no special features or extras at all, but what it does have is the
original movie itself -- with a picture that is surprisingly crisp and
clear (for this price), with decent sound to boot. I was
half-expecting it to be grainy, scratched, and full of hissing sound,
but it turned out to be a pretty good quality copy of the movie! If
you come across the DVD at your local Wal-Mart, and it has a cover
that looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

then go ahead and buy it! For a steal, you'll get a decent quality
DVD print of one of the greatest horror movies of all time!

Writer R5

I am not saying that you did not get a good deal, but I think Elite
Entertainment's "Night Of The Living Dead: Millennium Edition" is the
definitive DVD version and while it might cost a few dollars more, fans of this
film should check it out.

Mark
GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
http://www.genreonline.net
Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

K2

On 01 Nov 2003 03:50:31 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ospam (Writer R5) wrote:

>I am not saying that you did not get a good deal, but I think Elite
>Entertainment's "Night Of The Living Dead: Millennium Edition" is the
>definitive DVD version and while it might cost a few dollars more, fans of this
>film should check it out.

It's got to be better than the "Platinum Disc Corporation" version I
got at Tower Records for about $7. It's misleadingly labeled as a
"Classic Collector's Edition." The disc also contains "Carnival Of
Souls" from 1962. I thought it was too good to be true and it was.

The picture quality is good in both films, but the red Platinum logo
keeps popping up in the lower corner throughout each feature. The
jacket is slick and has no warning about the logo. It was like
watching something dubbed from cable.

K2

Rick Del Savio

Hi Modemac. That's quite a deal. I just bought the DVD of "Night"...for
$4.99 at Best Buy
an electronics chain here in NY. Watched it yesterday. Missed the social
commentary on my previous viewings of many years ago. Cheers, Rick

--
Jazz Guitarist/Educator
Check out lessons and original music @

Wade365

<< The picture quality is good in both films, but the red Platinum logo
keeps popping up in the lower corner throughout each feature. >>

And they said we were crazy on the "Bullwinkle" DVD set thread...

"IT HAS BEGUN."

(Bugs on DVD issue).

Cernovog

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Modemac) wrote:

> I was pleasantly
> surprised when I took a glance at "Night of the Living Dead." The DVD
> has no special features or extras at all, but what it does have is the
> original movie itself -- with a picture that is surprisingly crisp and
> clear (for this price), with decent sound to boot.

I bought this last year. I originally saw "Night of the Living Dead"
when I was a kid, late at night on broadcast TV.

What I enjoyed most about this DVD was that it was the full version
of the movie. The broadcast movie had a lot of the gore cut out. I was
pleasantly surprised. I had no idea the version I watched on TV was cut.
Then again, I was only like 12 years old.

NOTLD was a real treat to own and watch again. For five bucks, this
was definitely a gem.

unglued

(E-Mail Removed) (Modemac) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
> the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
> Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
> and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
> big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
> "Kingdom of the Spiders,"

For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
"Lucy in the sky with diamonds", blood curdling )

Reverend Vertigo

unglued wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Modemac) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>
>>Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
>>the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
>>Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
>>and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
>>big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
>>"Kingdom of the Spiders,"

> For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
> "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", blood curdling )

One word: Rocketman.

--
Dean for America
http://www.deanforamerica.com

Scott Munro

http://www.emuchrist.org/bitrot/arti...tsongever.html

--
Conservatism is the ideology of reality.

Joe Cosby

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:27:42 GMT, Reverend Vertigo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>unglued wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Modemac) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>>
>>>Our local Wal-Mart has a big bin full of ultra-cheap movies. You know
>>>the kind I mean: stuff like Pauly Shore masterpieces and "Babysitter
>>>Temptation 2" and public-domain generation-Z copies of "Nosterfatu"
>>>and the like. I took a gamble this week and bought (for six bucks -
>>>big spender!) a two-pack DVD of William Shatner's cheesy monster movie
>>>"Kingdom of the Spiders,"

>> For more horror search Kazaa or whatever for Shatner's version of
>> "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", blood curdling )

>One word: Rocketman.

Somebody digitized the video of him doing this on TV and uploaded it
somewhere, I've seen it but I don't seem to have saved a copy. It's
pretty funny.

--
Joe Cosby
http://joecosby.home.mindspring.com

"If someone is so fearful that, that they're going
to start using their weapons to protect their rights,
it makes me very nervous that these people have
these weapons at all!"
--Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) on MSNBC.

from
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree