Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > SCHINDLER'S LIST TO BE A (DVD-18) FLIPPER?!?!?

SCHINDLER'S LIST TO BE A (DVD-18) FLIPPER?!?!?

Joseph S. Powell, III

Just read this in thedigitalbits:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

"10/21/03

This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
year. "

Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up, but
does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
as well?
Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip the
disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
makes much more sense!

luminos

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just read this in thedigitalbits:
>
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
>
> "10/21/03
>
> This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
> Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
> is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
> year. "
>

> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
> for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?

No.

> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

but
> does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
> as well?

Lazy? You won't have to.

> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

the
> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
> Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?

Not particularly.

> I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
> I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
> makes much more sense!

Joseph S. Powell, III

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnqhpq$380$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just read this in thedigitalbits:
> >
> > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
> >
> > "10/21/03
> >
> > This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street

for
> > Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the

know
> > is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of

next
> > year. "
> >

> > Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more

sense
> > for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?

> No.
>
> > I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

> but
> > does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get

up
> > as well?

> Lazy? You won't have to.

I won't have to?
By that (and I'm hope I'm guessing right) it sounds like the movie will be
all on one side, then the special features (a ton of them) on the other - is
this the case, where did you hear it from?

Derek Janssen

Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
> Just read this in thedigitalbits:
>
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
>
> "10/21/03
>
> This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
> Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
> is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
> year. "
>

> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
> for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up, but
> does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
> as well?
> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip the
> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!

....Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
the article, again?

Derek Janssen

Goldfinger

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnrfmp$8sn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> ...Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
> the article, again?

Even if it is to be a flipper, what's the big deal about it? You only need
to get up once in a three hour period to, press the open button, flip the
disc over, press the close button which is almost always the same button as
the open button, press play and go back to your couch again. Is this such
an ordeal in life?

Jordan Lund

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip the
> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
> Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?

You don't flip in the middle of a movie... You watch the movie on one
side and have the extras on the other side. Nothing wrong with that.

- Jordan

Zimmy

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
> for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

but
> does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
> as well?
> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

the
> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
> Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
> I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
> I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
> makes much more sense!

This drives me crazy. We should be moving towards less discs, not more.
I'd take DVD18 everyday over useless 2 disc sets.

Quantum Leaper

Derek Janssen wrote:
> Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
>> Just read this in thedigitalbits:
>>
>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
>>
>> "10/21/03
>>
>> This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street
>> for Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in
>> the know is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March
>> 9th of next year. "
>>

>> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more
>> sense for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
>> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get
>> up, but does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should
>> have to get up as well?
>> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip
>> the disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!

> ...Okayyy, we've got "DVD-18", now remind us where "flipper" appeared in
> the article, again?

Simple fact that ALL DVD-18 (~18 Gigs) discs are flippers, DVD-9 (~9 Gigs)
you can put on one side of a disc, so DVD-18 must be a flipper. If you
find a DVD-18 disc that isn't a flipper, please most the link....

Dan P.

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just read this in thedigitalbits:
>
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
>
> "10/21/03
>
> This is a quick update to let you know that we heard an actual street for
> Universal's upcoming Schindler's List DVD. Word from retailers in the know
> is that Universal expects to release the DVD-18 disc on March 9th of next
> year. "
>

> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
> for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

but
> does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
> as well?
> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

the
> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
> Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
> I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
> I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
> makes much more sense!

I think I'm in the minority in that I prefer DVD-18's to 2 DVD-9's. The
reason is that I own a Sony 300 disc DVD changer which has a button on the
remote to flip the disc. So I don't have to get up to watch both
sides...and it saves me one slot in my changer. So I definitely prefer
DVD-18's, but unfortuntely (for me), there aren't that many. The only one I
have is Ben-Hur. I do have some other non-DVD-18 flippers like "It's a
Wonderful Life" and "Michael Jackson - History" which have content on both
sides. So the flip button does come in handy every now and then.

Dan

Rutgar

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:24:27 -0500, "Zimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Given the heavy proliferation of DVD-changers, wouldn't it make more sense
>> for Universal to release the film as a 2-disc set?
>> I mean, sure, people with single-disc players will still have to get up,

>but
>> does that mean that the rest of us with DVD-changers should have to get up
>> as well?
>> Normal people do NOT like to get up in the middle of a movie to go flip

>the
>> disc - even the LD format had players that did it for you!
>> Besides, aren't DVD-18's a rarity these days?
>> I think the only ones I have in my collection are T2-UE, and The Stand.
>> I certainly hope thedigitalbits was wrong about this one - a 2-disc set
>> makes much more sense!
>>

>This drives me crazy. We should be moving towards less discs, not more.
>I'd take DVD18 everyday over useless 2 disc sets.

Well, I hate two sided discs because the title info has to be written
in tiny, tiny text on the spindle, of the DVD. My 40+ eyes, have a
hard time trying to read that crap.

- Rutgar