Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dvd's

Dvd's

Nick

I have got (when royal mail get round to delivering it) a multimedia jukebox
that holds mp3 music files and you can watch mp4 video clips.

I am planning to encode my 300 cds into mp3 format to put on the jukebox and
then keep the original cd's in a cd case (so will keep hold of them).

I also plan to encode some of my orginial dvds to mp4 format to watch on
this jukebox.

Heres the question: What are the legal implications on doing this remebering
I am planning to keep the original cd/dvd at all times.

Mark W

news:bnopnq$bj6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have got (when royal mail get round to delivering it) a multimedia

jukebox
> that holds mp3 music files and you can watch mp4 video clips.
>
> I am planning to encode my 300 cds into mp3 format to put on the jukebox

and
> then keep the original cd's in a cd case (so will keep hold of them).
>
> I also plan to encode some of my orginial dvds to mp4 format to watch on
> this jukebox.
>
> Heres the question: What are the legal implications on doing this

remebering
> I am planning to keep the original cd/dvd at all times.

If it worries you that much, write to all the publishers of the material and
ask them.

CAndersen

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Heres the question: What are the legal implications on doing this remebering
>I am planning to keep the original cd/dvd at all times.

Up til now the rule of thumb has been if money doesn't change hands,
copying for your own use is OK. The RIAA has recently proved that insanity
rules if you've got the lawyers. But the RIAA shouldn't be able to affect
you.

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

CAndersen

CAndersen <KimbaWLion_aol.com@127.0.0.1> wrote:
<some drivel>

Ignore my previous post in this thread. Poor editing turned it into
nonsense.

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

Fri

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:26:34 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Heres the question: What are the legal implications on doing this remebering
>I am planning to keep the original cd/dvd at all times.

It's not an issue to copy for your own use.

Nicholas Andrade

Nick wrote:

> I have got (when royal mail get round to delivering it) a multimedia jukebox
> that holds mp3 music files and you can watch mp4 video clips.
>
> I am planning to encode my 300 cds into mp3 format to put on the jukebox and
> then keep the original cd's in a cd case (so will keep hold of them).

Hope you have a lot of free time on your hands.

> I also plan to encode some of my orginial dvds to mp4 format to watch on
> this jukebox.
>
> Heres the question: What are the legal implications on doing this remebering
> I am planning to keep the original cd/dvd at all times.

I wouldn't be too worried about the MP3's since you own the CD's and
will not be sharing any files. If you sell a CD, you must destroy the
files. The DVD's are more arbitrary because you need to circumvent copy
protection in order to rip them and that is illegal by the DMCA (if you
are American, although you said Royal Mail, so I presume you might not
be). As long as your using this deivce for just personal entertainment,
I doubt the music and video industries would care too much.

Adios,
~Nick

Stan Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m> in
alt.video.dvd, Fri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:26:34 +0000 (UTC), "Nick"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Heres the question: What are the legal implications on doing this remebering
>>I am planning to keep the original cd/dvd at all times.

>It's not an issue to copy for your own use.

Sometimes that's true.

http://OakRoadSystems.com