Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Kill Bill, part 1 - Anyone seen it yet? I have and....

Kill Bill, part 1 - Anyone seen it yet? I have and....

Riffraff

Hello everybody,

I just got around to seeing Kill Bill, the fourth outing from Quentin Tarantino.
Seeing how I'm a really big fan of his first three movies (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp
Fiction, and Jackie Brown - got 'em all on DVD), I was greatly anticipating
seeing what he could do with the modern day "Japanese Western".

The majority of the reviews I've read pretty much fall on either side of the
fence in that it's either just a gory piece of trash or a cinematic masterpiece.

Well, I can safely say that this is definitely not a ciinematic masterpiece. In
fact, it comes no where close to being anything more than a really big budget
B-movie. Don't get me wrong, there's some excellent cinematography in this
film. But great cinematography does not a great masterpiece make.

I kinda see this as Quentiin's take (more or less) on Japanese cinema with a
bit of the Italian Western thrown in for good measure (which was influenced
itself by Japanese cinema). I can see influences ranging from The Hidden
Fortress to High Plains Drifter to Duel to the Death but unfortunately it doesn't
work anywhere near as well as intended and the whole package suffers. .

Uma Thurman's casting in this movie is expected as she did an excellent job
in Pulp Fiction making that character quite memorable and she does her best
to do an admirable job here making this character something only she can do.

Luci Liu does a bang up job too as the half Chinese/half American assassin
who takes over the Tokyo mob. I found her character to be very convincing.
Vivica A. Fox also does a hell of a job and really earned her money for the
short time she was on screen. I just love her in anything she does.

I absolutely adore Daryl Hannah but she was completely laughable as a female
assassin. What the hell was Quentin thinking? That eye patch had me rolling
on the floor laughing my ass off!!! Not believable one bit.

As for the unseen Bill, the only reason I can see casting David Carradine is as
a reward for his days in Kung-fu and all those crap ass movies he had to do to
make a living back in the day. He's a good actor though and I like him. He did
alright given his limited screen time in this flick.

The full cast of asian actors (too numerous to list here, so I won't bother) do a
pretty good job, especially with the martial arts scenes. Overall, I find these
scenes to be better than your average martial arts film.

Other than that, I find this movie to be about half hit and half miss. Pretty much
all of the dialogue is stilted and just plain sucks... nobody talks like that!!! Not
even in crappy low budget B-flicks! What happened to the finely crafted
dialogue we saw in Quentin's first three movies? Nowhere to be seen here.

I'm sure eveyone who has seen this movie can plainly notice that he is once
again following the same style & pattern of his first three movies, i.e. doing the
movie completely out of sequence. It worked great in the first three movies but
come on Quentin, give it a rest. Now if he had carried over the dialogue...

Although there are some greatly filmed scenes, particularly the restaurant shot
(when the camera follows Uma down the stairs and into the ladies bathroom)
and the restaurant fight scenes themselves, I found the rest of the film to be
rather boring and I therefore lost interest in most of the movie. No scenes that
really have that "Tarantino" stamp on them that makes them memorable.

The anime sequence was interesting in and of itself because I'm not a real
big fan of anime and I therefore don't seek it out for viewing. I thought it was
something that only Quentin would do and so I think it works beautifully.

I didn't care much for about half of the soundtrack I felt that alot of the songs
and musical themes were inappropriate and detracted from the scenes they
accompanied. The stand out music: Tomoyasu Hotei's "Battle Without Honor
or Humanity and Zamfir's "The Lonely Shepard". I just loved 'em.

What else can I say about this movie? Although it clocks in at just about 2
hours in length, it's too damn long. It drags in alot of places, especially the
fight at the end between Uma's and Luci's characters. The whole movie
could use a bit of snipping here and there to pick up the pace. Some may
find this comment strange in light of the fact that Pulp Fiction and Jackie
Brown are a bit longer than this but I feel they do not suffer from any of the
flaws that simply jump off the screen in this mediocre movie.

And let's not forget the two biggest mistakes Quentin makes in this movie,
both having to do with the fight sequence in the restaurant, and it' doesn't
have anything to do with the violence. I have absolutely no problem with the
violence in this movie as I'm a major action and horror nut so I say bring it on.
I also have absolutely no problem with large quantities of blood either, for the
same reason I stated above. I think Quentin did one hell of a job in both
Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction where lots of blood is used very effectively.

So what is the first major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant?
The vast quantities of blood that's visible in this film. Contradictory? No. Why?
Without spoiling the movie for those of you who haven't seen it, I'll just say that
there a couple of bloody scenes in that fight sequence that were so completely
unrealistic that I was laughing through most of it along with most of the people
in the theatre. It was so much of a distraction that it brought all of the viewers
out of the scene and back into the theatre which is a big no-no for a movie.

The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant is that a
good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which completely threw
all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the number of people in the
theatre who yelled "What the hell's going on?". There were people yelling up
at the projectionist booth because it looked like something was wrong with
the film. Most of the viewers were ****ed off about the abrupt change in the
scene from color to black & white that they stopped paying attention to the
movie and talked amongst themselves about how much it sucked. I really
believe Quentin royally dropped the ball with this and should restore color to it.

Of course, I'm just armchair-quarterbacking what Quentin should have done
and it's just my own opinion but I think he needs to do some major re-editing
of this movie to bring it up to par with his first three movies and so that it will
be looked on favorably in the years to come instead of as the dissapoinment
and mediocre eyesore it is now. Years down the road, as this film exists now,
it will not be looked upon with any sort of favor. It will be seen as a largely
flawed film that could have been much better than it turned out to be and
Quentin will be seen as a director who bit off more than he could chew
when he decided to make this film. Say it ain't so, Tarantino. This is one
film that will definitely not find a place in my dvd collection.

Just my 2 cents,
Riffraff

Paul

> The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant is
that a
> good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which completely

threw
> all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the number of people

in the

This was done to get the film an R rating in the US. Without the black &
white, it would have gotten an NC-17 from the MPAA, which is death for a
major film release. In Japan, and other Asian countries, the scene is in
full colour and the film also contains extra footage throughout. Hopefully
this version will get released on the R1 DVD!

Paul

--
Get Paid... With Your Free Email at
http://www.zwallet.com/index.html?user=pauld61

Chris Banzai

Greetings,

Well...I'm no QT fan, but I like swordfights so I checked out the
movie and enjoyed the heck out of it. Particularly the use of Al
Hirt's "Green Hornet" theme. I've loved this tune since I can
remember.

The over-the-top blood was silly, yes, but also right in line with the
70s movies he "paid tribute" to in this film.

I thought while watching it that the switch to b&w had more to do with
toning down the gore so the film could get an R rating.

My favorite review of the film came from my dad's wife, who hates
blood/gore. She said it was the bloodiest film she's ever seen and she
never ever wants to see it again. But she wants to see the second one.

Chris
"Lately the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my
distaste
for manual labor." - Dogbert

Highlander - Buckaroo Banzai - Buffy - Kolchak - Jon Sable - Ceirdwyn
The Sims - Doc Savage
all can be found at:
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

Nicholas Andrade

I agree that Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is not up with Quentin's other mivies,
but I still thought it wasn't bad (and I am certainly going to see the
next one). I personally enjoyed the music and surreal blood as it kept
the movie comical. The major let down for me was the dialog, no where
near Pulp Fiction. I didn't mind the black & white, but now I am
curious to see it with color. I also think this is a horrible movie to
bring your kids to (there were two families with kids that looked about
8 or younger when I saw it - one of which walked out).

Adios,
~Nick

TCS

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:48:28 GMT, Riffraff <I'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello everybody,

No it's amazing. It's been out for over a week and not one person has
seen it.

Wait a minute! You say you've seen it? Then why the **** are you asking
if anyone has seen it?

Riffraff

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:56:38 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I agree that Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is not up with Quentin's other mivies,
>but I still thought it wasn't bad (and I am certainly going to see the
>next one). I personally enjoyed the music and surreal blood as it
>kept >the movie comical. The major let down for me was the dialog,
>no where near Pulp Fiction. I didn't mind the black & white, but now
>I am curious to see it with color. I also think this is a horrible movie to
>bring your kids to (there were two families with kids that looked about
>8 or younger when I saw it - one of which walked out).
>
>Adios,
>~Nick

You're right, the movie wasn't that bad. I was just saying that I was
expecting much, much more from Quentin due to the high quality of
his first three movies. Although I was somewhat disappointed from
having too high an expectation for this movie, I will go to see the
second part, if only to see the story through to the end.

Riffraff

Riffraff

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:53:41 GMT, "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant
>> is that a good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which
>> completely threw all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the
>> number of people in the

>This was done to get the film an R rating in the US. Without the black &
>white, it would have gotten an NC-17 from the MPAA, which is death for a
>major film release. In Japan, and other Asian countries, the scene is in
>full colour and the film also contains extra footage throughout. Hopefully
>this version will get released on the R1 DVD!
>
>Paul

Hey Paul,

I'll have to agree with you here. I'm sure it would have received an NC-17
or an X rating had the scene been presented in color. It's been rumoured
that the special edition boxset of these two movies that will be coming out
after part 2 comes out on video will contain the scene restored to color. If
that happens, I think I will be interested in getting the boxset but I certainly
won't be buying the individual dvd releases.

Riffraff

Riffraff

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:07:26 GMT, Chris Banzai <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Well...I'm no QT fan, but I like swordfights so I checked out the
>movie and enjoyed the heck out of it. Particularly the use of Al
>Hirt's "Green Hornet" theme. I've loved this tune since I can
>remember.

Yep, Al Green's the man!

>The over-the-top blood was silly, yes, but also right in line with the
>70s movies he "paid tribute" to in this film.

I'll agree with you here but that doesn't mean I have to like it

>I thought while watching it that the switch to b&w had more to do with
>toning down the gore so the film could get an R rating.

You're probably correct on this point. Had Quentin released the film
here in the US with the scene in color, it would most likely have an
NC-17 or X rating. It's rumoured the asian prints of the film are in color
and that the Director's Cut boxset will have the scene restored.

>My favorite review of the film came from my dad's wife, who hates
>blood/gore. She said it was the bloodiest film she's ever seen and she
>never ever wants to see it again. But she wants to see the second one.

Same here. I want to see part 2 to see what happens.

Riffraff

Riffraff

On 29 Oct 2003 20:41:13 GMT, TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:48:28 GMT, Riffraff <I'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,

>No it's amazing. It's been out for over a week and not one person
> has seen it.

Oh no... I'm "so" offended! Is that your impression of a wise ass?
You must feel so much better getting that out of your system, moron.

>Wait a minute! You say you've seen it? Then why the **** are you
> asking if anyone has seen it?

I was simply trying to get other people who have seen it to give their
comments on the movie. It's quite obvious that you have not seen the
movie nor have you bothered to read my entire post.

I imagine if you actually had seen the movie and read my entire post,
the complete lack of verbal skills you obviously don't have would quite
likely prevent you from every giving any constructive comments about
the film. Fortunate for us since you are neither civil nor lack respect for
anyone who tries to post here.

You shouldn't let your anger over suffering from impotence and having
a small dick interfere with your engaging in meaning conversation. But
then again, you are one petty and sad little man.

And now... welcome to my killfile.

Riffraff

ominousspiritous

> >I agree that Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is not up with Quentin's other mivies,
> >but I still thought it wasn't bad

You're right, it wasn't bad...it was terrible.

>>The major let down for me was the dialog,

Right on the money. Clunky, simplistic, moronic, and juvenile pretty much
sum it up. I read a recent interview in Empire and that's pretty much the
way he's talking these days. He sounds like a meth. freak

IMHO, violence for the sake of violence isn't good film making it just shows
that your writer is out of ideas.
Was I offended by the violence? No, I just thought it was a cop out to get
around the fact that there really is no reason to see this movie.

Personally I think the film dialogue could have improved if it were written
by Ed Wood.

Just my opinion.