Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > GIGLI: Release Date Announced!

GIGLI: Release Date Announced!

Invid Fan

In article <bnmq1l$8r2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
> cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
> gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
> found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
> bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
> power.

The video release of Battlefield: Earth is an edited version (the uncut
is only for the converted, or some such). It probably only comes into
full badness when seen up on the big screen, unable to escape. It's the
only time I almost walked out of a free show

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

Invid Fan wrote:

>>Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
>>cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
>>gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
>>found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
>>bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
>>power.

> The video release of Battlefield: Earth is an edited version (the uncut
> is only for the converted, or some such). It probably only comes into
> full badness when seen up on the big screen, unable to escape. It's the
> only time I almost walked out of a free show

Well, actually, it WAS the uncut version on the big screen (yeah, I was
at the Marathon, too)--
And I repeat: Yeah, started out promising, with the Joffrey-Ballet
cavemen, but then it...just sorta turned into "Children of Dune". :/

Derek Janssen ("Galaxina" was just too hard an act to follow)

Invid Fan

In article <bnnb44$nos$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Invid Fan wrote:
> >
> >>Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
> >>cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
> >>gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
> >>found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
> >>bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
> >>power.

> > The video release of Battlefield: Earth is an edited version (the uncut
> > is only for the converted, or some such). It probably only comes into
> > full badness when seen up on the big screen, unable to escape. It's the
> > only time I almost walked out of a free show

> Well, actually, it WAS the uncut version on the big screen (yeah, I was
> at the Marathon, too)--

I know it was uncut in theaters I went to a free preview before it
opened. I didn't expect much, and it fulfilled that promise. Later,
when watching Final Fantasy, I kept telling myself "I stayed through a
free showing of B:E, I can stick out a paid viewing of this film..."

(I think the memory of Battlefield: Earth is why I cut Titan: AE so
much slack)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Eric R.

(E-Mail Removed)I6 (Phil7101) wrote in message

> So they're just releasing a blank disc? Sounds good!

There would probably be more of a market for it.

-Eric

Eric R.

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"

Hey man, I've seen "Space Mutiny". That one makes Gigli look like Citizen Kane.

-Eric

Joe Thousandaire

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnmq1l$8r2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Speaking as one who rented "Battlefield: Earth"--only to have his hopes
> cruelly crushed to find out it *wasn't* the celluiloid-melting legend of
> gag legend, but just a dreary Sci-Fi Channel cable movie that somehow
> found its way into a studio--I'm a little more sensitive to letting a
> bad film EARN its badness through hard work and effort under its *own*
> power.

I think the reason it is considered a legend is becuase John Travolta stars
in it. The movie is so horrible you wonder how the hell he would ever
aggree to be in it. Possibly because he is a scientoligist and the script
was
written by his good friend L Ron Hubbard, the inventor of scientology.

Wade365

<< John Travolta stars
in it. The movie is so horrible you wonder how the hell he would ever
aggree to be in it. >>

If you pay attention to the plot (and I know, it's difficult to think about sex
whilst they drill your teeth) one of the main messages is to get everything on
tape and have as much dirt on others as you can so that you can get them to do
your bidding - it's a basic tenant of Scientology.

They "asked" him to do the film, probably having more than a few unsightly
confessions of their own on tape... the film was made with Scientologist money,
and they're just not the hands-off type.

I read the first book way back when I was a kinder and didn't know of the
poison inherent in the system, and I gotta say I remember enjoying lots of
it... so I sat through the movie.

The Aliens' scale in comparison to humans is about all I think they got right
or did well with the material.

Jeeters

> I read the first book way back when I was a kinder and didn't know of the
> poison inherent in the system, and I gotta say I remember enjoying lots of
> it... so I sat through the movie.
> The Aliens' scale in comparison to humans is about all I think they got

right
> or did well with the material.

Yeah, I read the (*very* thick) book way back when it came out (very early
80's) and remember liking it a lot. Classic sci-fi all the way. The movie
didn't get too much the right at all. You could perhaps read the two
paragraph summary from the dust jacket and say that sounds like the movie,
too, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
Personally, given the vast content of the book, the only way to make a
'watchable' version of the story would be to make it a mini-series on the
sci-fi channel sorta like Spielberg's (boring) "Taken". Of course to try
and do that now it would be too late as the pathetic movie has ruined the
name and reputation of the story for all time.

Derek Janssen

Jeeters wrote:

> Yeah, I read the (*very* thick) book way back when it came out (very early
> 80's) and remember liking it a lot. Classic sci-fi all the way. The movie
> didn't get too much the right at all. You could perhaps read the two
> paragraph summary from the dust jacket and say that sounds like the movie,
> too, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
> Personally, given the vast content of the book, the only way to make a
> 'watchable' version of the story would be to make it a mini-series on the
> sci-fi channel sorta like Spielberg's (boring) "Taken". Of course to try
> and do that now it would be too late as the pathetic movie has ruined the
> name and reputation of the story for all time.

(<chuckle!>...Watch me bring this thread back on topic, folks!)

Namely, because 90% of the "Worst Film in the History of Civilization!"
hysteria at the time was half strategic, half bandwagon, as a way of 1)
making sure that the dismal box office reached big headlines where execs
could read it, and 2) ramming L. Ron's losses on their "media outreach"
straight down their throat (ie. "Oh yeah?...'Popcorn' THIS!") without
any dispute left to history--

Rather than *actual* badness, which other films were capable of that
year WITHOUT overblown artificial stimulus, or those film fans seeking
easy social acceptance in threads without having the opportunity or
necessary expenditure of effort to judge it for themselves...

(Now, folks...*HOW* do you think I'm ever going to tie this back into a
thread about Ben, Jen, and "Gigli"?--Any wild guesses?)

Derek Janssen (aw, c'mon, give it a shot!)
(E-Mail Removed)

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeeters
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I read the first book way back when I was a kinder and didn't know of the
> > poison inherent in the system, and I gotta say I remember enjoying lots of
> > it... so I sat through the movie.
> > The Aliens' scale in comparison to humans is about all I think they got

> right
> > or did well with the material.

> Yeah, I read the (*very* thick) book way back when it came out (very early
> 80's) and remember liking it a lot. Classic sci-fi all the way. The movie
> didn't get too much the right at all. You could perhaps read the two
> paragraph summary from the dust jacket and say that sounds like the movie,
> too, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
> Personally, given the vast content of the book, the only way to make a
> 'watchable' version of the story would be to make it a mini-series on the
> sci-fi channel sorta like Spielberg's (boring) "Taken". Of course to try
> and do that now it would be too late as the pathetic movie has ruined the
> name and reputation of the story for all time.

My understanding (not having read the book when it came out) is that
the film only tackled the first half: they planned on a sequel. No word
if production has started yet

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS