Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Indiana Jones: DVD Bundle a Huge Success.

Indiana Jones: DVD Bundle a Huge Success.

Mark Spatny

> >Must be local. I've never run across a title which Costco did not carry in
> >widescreen, even if there were two separate versions available.

> Yag! That would suck - Pan & Scan only at Costco. =( That's where
> I bought my Widescreen set and I got a really good price (with
> coupon).

Well, that's good to hear. My local Costco seems to carry widescreen if
that's the only version available, otherwise they take the fullscreen.
Yuck.

Jimbo700

> > versions. I asked the person working the DVD section, and she said the
> > FS versions weren't selling, and the had a lot more in back.

> Ditto at Costco, where I bought mine. I had to *look* for the Widescreen.
> The Fullscreen pile was barely touched.

As did I.
At our local Wal-Mart Supercenter, I found nothing but P&S versions in the
'new release' bin (many copies) but I did manage to find a WS version in the
rack with catalog DVD's. There were only 2 or 3 left. I asked the guy at
the register in electronics why they only stocked 2 or 3 WS's and he said
they had many more but the P&S's weren't selling worth beans. Those P&S's
will probably be in the Wal-Mart $5.99 bargain bin after Christmas.

Hitman of Las Vegas

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:53:45 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Total cost: Less than $22. As it is, I paid a total of $47 for the box
>set in order to get the one disk that I really wanted.

Walmart has em going for $ 39.87, and tax. Pretty good deal, I'd say.
Be careful though - the display was about 75% full screen copies so
you have to hunt for the widescreen.

They were also hawking Hulk DVDs for 14.87 here in Las Vegas -
somebody overordered these turkeys. You get free popcorn too when you
pick up a Hulk DVD.

Gotta love Walmart!

James Anatidae

"Hitman of Las Vegas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Gotta love Walmart!

No I don't.

Steve Knoblock

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031028223859.339$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9422EC03AEF51abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> > "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> > Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions
> > and zoom away?

> <<Perhaps if they phrased it differently they would. For example:
> "Instant fullscreen mode, converts widescreen movies into fullscreen at
> the touch of the button! No more nasty black bars to explain to your
> friends!!!" >>
>

> Well, yeah, the zoom feature can eliminate those annoying black bars
> from most widescreen movies. The problem is that the zoom feature only

I find zoom very effective when watching a film on the 14" tv in the bedroom
with a wide OAR film. I prefer the random cropping over the claustruphobia
and confusion resulting from the P&S cut.

The newer Samsungs have a prominent button on the front panel appealing to
the "black bars" crowd, I forget what they call it, but it is something akin
to "black bar remover" or "fullscreen zoom." There is a sticker next to
advertising what it does.

Steve

Scot Gardner

"Steve Knoblock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ROFob.23132$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031028223859.339$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9422EC03AEF51abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> > "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> > Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions
> > and zoom away?

> <<Perhaps if they phrased it differently they would. For example:
> "Instant fullscreen mode, converts widescreen movies into fullscreen
> at the touch of the button! No more nasty black bars to explain to

your
> friends!!!" >>
>

> Well, yeah, the zoom feature can eliminate those annoying black bars
> from most widescreen movies. The problem is that the zoom feature only

<<I find zoom very effective when watching a film on the 14" tv in the
bedroom with a wide OAR film. I prefer the random cropping over the
claustruphobia and confusion resulting from the P&S cut.>>

<<The newer Samsungs have a prominent button on the front panel
appealing to the "black bars" crowd, I forget what they call it, but it
is something akin to "black bar remover" or "fullscreen zoom." There is
a sticker next to advertising what it does. Steve>>

"Claustrophobia and confusion" is right. But it seems to me that a
random cropping would be even worse. Also, when zoomed, doesn't the
DVD's resolution drop to the level of VHS?

"Black Bar Remover" would be the best description of the feature,
because "fullscreen" has no meaning anymore. If I play a "fullscreen"
DVD on a 16:9 display, there will be black bars on the sides. (I know, I
know -- there are stretch modes to "correct" this "problem.")

Steve Knoblock

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031102145241.640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve Knoblock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ROFob.23132$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20031028223859.339$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9422EC03AEF51abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> > > "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> "Claustrophobia and confusion" is right. But it seems to me that a
> random cropping would be even worse. Also, when zoomed, doesn't the
> DVD's resolution drop to the level of VHS?

I find that if I know the storyline and have seen the film before usually
the zoom is acceptable for casual viewing. I'd recommend it over P&S unless
there is some action that you really must see to understand the film. One of
the annoying things about the P&S versions is how they make heads and etc.
fill the whole screen compared to the widescreen version.

It depends on the film.

20000 Leagues Under the Sea 1954 CinemaScope 2.55 : 1
On DVD, this shows quite a bit of pixellation and compression artifacts when
zoomed at minimum. I'd say I have to sit at least 7-10ft away from the 14"
to not notice this. At that distance it compares to the average tv picture.

Battle of Britain (1969) Panavision (anamorphic) 2.35 : 1
On DVD, this shows a much greater resolution than the above when zoomed. You
get an amazing amount of detail in this film even when zoomed every good
within about 5ft and okay at 7-10ft.

I looked it up on amazon.com and the button is for "EZ View feature
eliminates letterbox black bars for 4:3 aspect-ratio TVs" Samsung DVD-P231

Steve

Scot Gardner

"Steve Knoblock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hGgpb.203459$(E-Mail Removed)...
<<I looked it up on amazon.com and the button is for "EZ View feature
eliminates letterbox black bars for 4:3 aspect-ratio TVs" Samsung
DVD-P231. Steve>>

This reminds me of the old Mad Magazine quip:

How to lose 10 pounds of ugly fat: Cut off your head.

EZ View feature is an equally good idea.

Hitman of Las Vegas

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:31:18 -0500, "James Anatidae"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Gotta love Walmart!

>No I don't.

Oh well!

Leto II

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<20031102145241.640$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> "Steve Knoblock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ROFob.23132$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20031028223859.339$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9422EC03AEF51abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> > > "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> > > Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions
> > > and zoom away?

> > <<Perhaps if they phrased it differently they would. For example:
> > "Instant fullscreen mode, converts widescreen movies into fullscreen
> > at the touch of the button! No more nasty black bars to explain to

> your
> > friends!!!" >>
> >

> > Well, yeah, the zoom feature can eliminate those annoying black bars
> > from most widescreen movies. The problem is that the zoom feature only

> <<I find zoom very effective when watching a film on the 14" tv in the
> bedroom with a wide OAR film. I prefer the random cropping over the
> claustruphobia and confusion resulting from the P&S cut.>>
>
> <<The newer Samsungs have a prominent button on the front panel
> appealing to the "black bars" crowd, I forget what they call it, but it
> is something akin to "black bar remover" or "fullscreen zoom." There is
> a sticker next to advertising what it does. Steve>>
>

> "Claustrophobia and confusion" is right. But it seems to me that a
> random cropping would be even worse. Also, when zoomed, doesn't the
> DVD's resolution drop to the level of VHS?
>
> "Black Bar Remover" would be the best description of the feature,
> because "fullscreen" has no meaning anymore. If I play a "fullscreen"
> DVD on a 16:9 display, there will be black bars on the sides. (I know, I
> know -- there are stretch modes to "correct" this "problem.")

"Unstopppably Fatal Electric Shock Through Your DVD Player's Remote"
would be another welcome method of winnowing out from the gene pool
everybody who thinks that "getting rid of those black bars" is A Good
Idea...