Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Indiana Jones: DVD Bundle a Huge Success.

Indiana Jones: DVD Bundle a Huge Success.

Scot Gardner

"Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9422EC03AEF51abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions
> and zoom away?

<<Perhaps if they phrased it differently they would. For example:
"Instant fullscreen mode, converts widescreen movies into fullscreen at
the touch of the button! No more nasty black bars to explain to your
friends!!!" >>

Well, yeah, the zoom feature can eliminate those annoying black bars
from most widescreen movies. The problem is that the zoom feature only
blows up the picture to fill the screen vertically and while doing this,
it pushes the sides of the picture out of a 4:3 TV's viewing area.

Another problem is that, unlike a true pan & scan DVD, there is no
panning and scanning in the zoomed picture. Panning and scanning at
least tries to capture some of the action from the sides of the chopped
up movie and transfer it to the center. With zooming, there is only a
straight shot down the middle of the movie.

Oh well, at least the black bars are gone. That's what is most
important.

ZC TGS

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:53:45 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OCT. 24 | The Adventures of Indiana Jones Complete Movie DVD Collection
>whipped up an estimated $27 million in consumer sales during its first
>day in stores on Tuesday, according to industry sources.

I assume this just refers to US sales.

Any idea what International sales were? e.g. UK sales?

Goldfinger

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031028223858.072$(E-Mail Removed)...

> On the other hand, another Paramount 4-disc, 3-movie trilogy has proven
> to be one of the best DVD investments that I ever made. _The Godfather_
> DVD set is an outstanding value, even though it contains the God-awful
> _Godfather III_. How else could Paramount have moved this turkey if they
> hadn't bundled it with the other two movies? Even as a rental,
> _Godfather III_ was bundled with the Godfather extras disk.

The Godfather set is awesome except it's a bit pricey.

> If Coppola's casting of his daughter in the part of Mary isn't nepotism,
> I don't know what it is. Sophia is simply awful in every scene as she
> mutters her lines. _Godfather III_ would have been dramatically improved
> if Sophia Coppola's swan song in the final climatic Opera House scene
> had occurred at the beginning of the movie. The rest of movie could have
> been told in flashbacks and cast members could have just talked about
> her and shown family pictures of her. "Remember when Mary said this and
> when Mary did that?"

Sophia stinks even if she's not in the scene. But she's hardly the only
cancer and getting rid of her wouldn't save Part III. Part III is too much
"walking down the memory lane". And they get rid of Robert Duval because of
his price tag but keep Diane Lane, what the....? That proves that Part III
will be a disaster from the get go.

Mark Spatny

eNo,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Ditto at Costco, where I bought mine. I had to *look* for the Widescreen.
> The Fullscreen pile was barely touched.

I thought that when widescreen and fullscreen versions were released
seperately, Costco only carries the fullscreen version. That seems to be
the policy in my neck of the woods.

Aaron Brezenski

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>,
Mark Spatny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>eNo,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Ditto at Costco, where I bought mine. I had to *look* for the Widescreen.
>> The Fullscreen pile was barely touched.

>I thought that when widescreen and fullscreen versions were released
>seperately, Costco only carries the fullscreen version. That seems to be
>the policy in my neck of the woods.

Must be local. I've never run across a title which Costco did not carry in
widescreen, even if there were two separate versions available.

--
Aaron Brezenski
Not speaking for my employer in any way.

WJM

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031028223858.072$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ziznb.6969887$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20031028005213.675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Paramount is aware that there are a lot of other people who would only
> > buy Raiders and maybe rent the other disks, thus, the box set.

> <<All three Indiana Jones movies are worthy of a purchase. Temple of
> Doom is a bit weak but it is still very entertaining. I would have
> purchased all three together or separate. Most people pay less than $40
> for the set so it comes up to only $13.33 a movie which is a steal.>>
>
> <<The biggest rip off box set is Back to the Future because it's one
> good movie out of three.>>
>

> Well, sets are expensive and we are going to have more of them in the
> future. All I want is the first Star Wars movie (Episode IV) but it
> looks like it will be cartooned-up and offered as part of yet another
> 4-disk box set.
>
> You're right about Universal's _Back to the Future_ set. I had so little
> interest in this trilogy that I passed on buying the collection.
>
> You need to be a big fan to appreciate ALL of the Indiana Jones movies
> the way that you do. In my opinion, the first one is a four-star
> classic, the second one is total crap and the third one is sort of OK.
> The extras disk was only worth watching once.

I don't agree with your assessment of the 2nd and 3rd Indiana Jones movies.
Although the 2nd two were inferior to the first, both of them had enough
positives to make them decent movies - worth a purchase in my estimation.

Doonie

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:52:34 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Brezenski wrote:

>Mark Spatny wrote:
>
>>I thought that when widescreen and fullscreen versions were released
>>seperately, Costco only carries the fullscreen version. That seems to be
>>the policy in my neck of the woods.

>Must be local. I've never run across a title which Costco did not carry in
>widescreen, even if there were two separate versions available.

Yag! That would suck - Pan & Scan only at Costco. =( That's where
I bought my Widescreen set and I got a really good price (with
coupon).

--
www.cloakanddagger.ca

Jan Gustafsson

In article <VwSnb.781262$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Sophia stinks even if she's not in the scene. But she's hardly the only
> cancer and getting rid of her wouldn't save Part III. Part III is too much
> "walking down the memory lane". And they get rid of Robert Duval because of
> his price tag but keep Diane Lane, what the....? That proves that Part III
> will be a disaster from the get go.

Wow, I didn't even realize Diane Lane was in the Godfather, p. III.
=) Rest of it I agree with.

--
-Jan G.

Richard C.

"Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VwSnb.781262$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: The Godfather set is awesome except it's a bit pricey.
:
================
Not when you consider that my LD set listed at $200.00

Goldfinger

"Jan Gustafsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <VwSnb.781262$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> >
> > Sophia stinks even if she's not in the scene. But she's hardly the only
> > cancer and getting rid of her wouldn't save Part III. Part III is too

much
> > "walking down the memory lane". And they get rid of Robert Duval

because of
> > his price tag but keep Diane Lane, what the....? That proves that Part

III
> > will be a disaster from the get go.
> >

> Wow, I didn't even realize Diane Lane was in the Godfather, p. III.
> =) Rest of it I agree with.

Oh, it's Keaton not Lane.