Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Indy Temple of doom pan and scan question

Indy Temple of doom pan and scan question

Michael Rogers

I've been looking at my new anamorphic widescreen Indy DVD's.

It's been years since I've seen Temple of Doom. Of course, the last time
I saw it was pan and scan.

Now the opening shot has the title fill almost the entire 2.35 frame
from side to side (with Kate Capshaw rotoscoped over it).

In the pan and scan one I remember, the opening scene was not
letterboxed or squeeezed but the title fit in 4:3.

Did they actually recomposite the titles to fit on a cropped 4:3 image
without squeezing the image (what they used to do when they needed to
fit the titles in a widescreen image on TV)?

Mike

Codswallop

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:04:52 GMT, Michael Rogers wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> Did they actually recomposite the titles to fit on a cropped 4:3 image
> without squeezing the image (what they used to do when they needed to
> fit the titles in a widescreen image on TV)?

Not sure about the start, but I remember at the end, after Short Round's
elephant splashes Indy and Willie with water, that was the point where
it went "squashy" (and they all suddenly lost a lot of weight) for the
credits to roll.

I suppose the same may have been done at the start. In other words: No,
I don't think they redid the titles.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to email)

ymenard

>"Codswallop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Not sure about the start, but I remember at the end, after Short Round's
> elephant splashes Indy and Willie with water, that was the point where
> it went "squashy" (and they all suddenly lost a lot of weight) for the
> credits to roll.

It's the same with the endings of the Star Wars original trilogy in P&S (or
about every time it's on the TV). They squeeze the image to fit the 4:3
ratio, instead of cutting the frame. It's really easy to see for The Empire
Strikes Back, considering that it's a squeezed space shot that you saw the
start of it a minute before.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez