Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Recorder Question

DVD Recorder Question

Comicpsych

I am sure that this is a common question in this group, but I thought I would
go ahead and ask myself. Are there any recomendations on what DVD Recorders are
best?
My mother recently bought a CYBERHOME DVD recorder. Yes, she is a QVC nut and,
bless her heart, trying to get something good, but doesn't always get that "get
what you pay for" philosophy. I appreciate her attempt at this, and so far the
machine hasn't been too bad, but that's just it. You don't want a machine like
this to be "too bad". The machine seems to be occasionally buggy so needless to
say I am sending it back. However, I did get a few good DVDs out of it.
This brings me to another somewhat related question. On this recorder (as I am
sure on all) there is the SP to SLP breakdown and a description of the quality.
Now SLP, of course, is gonna be the worse, but I noticed that if I recorded a
movie or TV show that was filmed it wasn't that bad. However, if I tried to fit
a show shot on video the quality was really horrible. So my question here is:
Is this something that is indicative of the DVD recorder or is it just the
nature of the DVD-Rs themselves?
I know that was long winded but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

luminos

"Comicpsych" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am sure that this is a common question in this group, but I thought I

would
> go ahead and ask myself. Are there any recomendations on what DVD

Recorders are
> best?
> My mother recently bought a CYBERHOME DVD recorder. Yes, she is a QVC nut

and,
> bless her heart, trying to get something good, but doesn't always get that

"get
> what you pay for" philosophy. I appreciate her attempt at this, and so far

the
> machine hasn't been too bad, but that's just it. You don't want a machine

like
> this to be "too bad". The machine seems to be occasionally buggy so

needless to
> say I am sending it back. However, I did get a few good DVDs out of it.
> This brings me to another somewhat related question. On this recorder (as

I am
> sure on all) there is the SP to SLP breakdown and a description of the

quality.
> Now SLP, of course, is gonna be the worse, but I noticed that if I

recorded a
> movie or TV show that was filmed it wasn't that bad. However, if I tried

to fit
> a show shot on video the quality was really horrible. So my question here

is:
> Is this something that is indicative of the DVD recorder or is it just the
> nature of the DVD-Rs themselves?

Neither. These formats compress the video and audio. Noisy material (such
as tape) often provides a very poor source to any DVD recording system since
compression 'goes nuts' on noise.

All cyberhome is cheap junk. Look at Panasonic, except for the E50 model.

Bullock

The answer is "Yes"