Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Walmart vs Best Buy DVDs

Walmart vs Best Buy DVDs

Amit

Why does Wallmart sell there DVDs cheaper than other stores like Best
Buy or Circuit Coty? Aren't they basically the same packages.

Alex Woods

Walmart's policy is to beat the lowest advertised price. They look at
regional circulars and price that way.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Amit wrote:

> Why does Wallmart sell there DVDs cheaper than other stores like Best
> Buy or Circuit Coty? Aren't they basically the same packages.

Skid

Why does one dealer sell a car for a lower price than another? Why is gas
cheaper on one block than another?

Economies of scale, competition, profit margins, business models, market
demographics, etc. And if you compare individual titles, you'll find that
your conclusion doesn't always hold true for specials, sales, and
loss-leader promotions.

Personally, I order most of my DVDs online after comparison shopping at
www.dvdpricesearch.com

"Amit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Why does Wallmart sell there DVDs cheaper than other stores like Best
> Buy or Circuit Coty? Aren't they basically the same packages.

Mac Breck

"Alex Woods" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) hester.edu...
> Walmart's policy is to beat the lowest advertised price.

They look at
> regional circulars and price that way.

Are you sure it isn't to "match" the lowest advertised
price?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

Richard C.

"Amit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
: Why does Wallmart sell there DVDs cheaper than other stores like Best
: Buy or Circuit Coty? Aren't they basically the same packages.

=================
Ever hear of competition?

They are EXACTLY the same packages, by the way.

Wade365

<< They are EXACTLY the same packages, by the way. >>

Not entirely true... Wal-Mart will not sell most "uncut" versions and they
flat-out won't carry certain titles due to program content.

They WILL, however, sell rifles and ammunition right next to the toy section.

: )

callsignviper

"Wade365" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << They are EXACTLY the same packages, by the way. >>
>
> Not entirely true... Wal-Mart will not sell most "uncut" versions and they
> flat-out won't carry certain titles due to program content.
>
> They WILL, however, sell rifles and ammunition right next to the toy

section.

> : )

As well as knives, shotguns, BB guns, pellet guns, and other items that can
hurt people!

Back to DVDs.......they don't seem to care about DVD content in their $5.88
bargain bin. Makes no sense!

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Wade365

<< Back to DVDs.......they don't seem to care about DVD content in their $5.88
bargain bin. Makes no sense! >>

I'm on the road quite a bit, and when our bus stops at a Wally-World in the
middle of the night we decend on that discount bin... I've never really seen
anything "objectionable"... plenty of crappy titles I wouldn't watch on cable,
but most of it fits within a certain criteria... what I'm talking about is more
the "Old School Unrated" or "Sweetest Thing Unrated" which, if you've seen the
films are not over-the-top or anything, but they won't carry it because as one
employee told me, "it's just not Christian".

Huh.

So tell me about them fire arms youz got there, then... s'what I always say.

WalMart can be a good place to find cheaper movies, no argument... it's just
not gonna be the "full" versions.

Pat

Their mailorders have better prices than stores. WM really wins in many case
online, especially books.

"Amit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Why does Wallmart sell there DVDs cheaper than other stores like Best
> Buy or Circuit Coty? Aren't they basically the same packages.

AAbrams0264

<< but they won't carry it because as one
employee told me, "it's just not Christian". >>

I guess that rules out FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

88 cent dvds at Walmart JJ DVD Video 13 05-11-2005 12:09 PM
The Long Walk Home $5.88 at Walmart - buy one for the next big power outage? JJ DVD Video 1 09-09-2003 04:55 AM
Re: Best Buy No Longer A "Best" Buy - At Least Not At Brooklyn NYC Store Mike & Jane Digital Photography 5 08-15-2003 12:57 AM

Advertisments