Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Slideshow on DVD?

Slideshow on DVD?

SHREDİ

I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.

What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
would recognize?
In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?

Which hardware and what software would you advise?

Thanks

Pug Fugley

I use a DVD burner with Sonic MY DVD software.

"SHREDİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like

> play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
>
> What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
> would recognize?
> In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do

it?

> Which hardware and what software would you advise?
>
> Thanks

MR_ED_of_Course

in article tyklb.104390$gv5.85142@fed1read05, SHREDİ at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote on 10/21/03 6:03 PM:

> I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
> play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
>
> What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
> would recognize?
> In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
>
> Which hardware and what software would you advise?
>
> Thanks

I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
use.

Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...

Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
appears to be.

Doc_Johnson

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/author

You do not need a DVD burner for a VCD slideshow.
A CD burner will work fine and be recognized by most DVD players.

Doc

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:03:13 -0700, "SHREDİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
>play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
>
>What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
>would recognize?
>In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
>
>Which hardware and what software would you advise?
>
>Thanks

Max Volume

In article <BBBB31F3.23079%(E-Mail Removed)>, MR_ED_of_Course
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
> with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
> managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
> slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
> iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
> use.
>
> Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...
>
> Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
> it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
> night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
> video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
> and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
> hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
> appears to be.

Oh look, Mr. Ed is back. I have to admit I couldn't have said it
better myself.

You might be interested to know that I took a trip to Circuit City and
BEST BUY the other day, and while each store had only one DVD player
hooked up (a SONY and a SAMSUNG respectively), both players refused to
play my Region 2 DVD-R citing "region protection", yet they both played
my Region 1 disc.

Ready to eat your words yet???

Trevor S

"SHREDİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would
> like to play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home
> DVD player.
>
> What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD
> player would recognize?
> In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner
> do it?
>
> Which hardware and what software would you advise?

My recomendation. A DVD-Burner and Uleads DVD Pictures Show 2. I make my
photo DVD's with background music ussing this. Very simple to use.

http://www.ulead.com/dps/trial.htm

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

H E Pennypacker

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:57:20 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>in article tyklb.104390$gv5.85142@fed1read05, SHREDİ at (E-Mail Removed)
>wrote on 10/21/03 6:03 PM:
>

>> I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
>> play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
>>
>> What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
>> would recognize?
>> In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
>>
>> Which hardware and what software would you advise?
>>
>> Thanks

>I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
>with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
>managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
>slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
>iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
>use.
>
>Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...
>
>Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
>it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
>night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
>video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
>and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
>hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
>appears to be.

JC

wrote:

>I am building a computer system for a friend. He mentioned he would like to
>play a slideshow, with music added, of his photos on his home DVD player.
>
>What do I need for hardware? Is there a format for CD-R that a DVD player
>would recognize?
>In other words do I need to install a DVD burner or will a CD burner do it?
>
>Which hardware and what software would you advise?
>
>Thanks

If its on a PC you could try MemoriesOnTV with the MPEG2 SVCD/DVD
plugin. I think the site is something like www.picturestotv.com but a
search on Google should turn it up. Very simple and intuitive software
and you could burn it out to an SVCD (assuming your friend's player
supports SVCD) instead of to a DVD

Please note - I am not in anyway associated with the above company - I
tried their software out a month or two ago when I was looking for
something similar

JC

MR_ED_of_Course

in article 221020030434052577%(E-Mail Removed), Max Volume at
(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 10/22/03 1:31 AM:

> In article <BBBB31F3.23079%(E-Mail Removed)>, MR_ED_of_Course
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I would highly recommend a Mac. Get one turn-key with a DVD/CD burner along
>> with all the software you'd need, specifically iPhoto for photo editing and
>> managing, iTunes for music management/ripping, and iDVD for building the
>> slideshows...of course a bunch of other software is also included, such as
>> iMovie for editing videos. It's all about quality, elegance and ease of
>> use.
>>
>> Or like everyone I know who ignores my advice...
>>
>> Buy the cheapest PC you can possibly find. Take that $100 you save and use
>> it to buy virus protection and additional software that you'd want. Spend
>> night after night dealing with the typical "my audio isn't synching to the
>> video" or "I'm getting buffer underrun errors" or "I can't figure out____",
>> and eventually giving up. Then see a DVD some kid created in a couple of
>> hours on a Mac and be all impressed on how talented and smart the kid
>> appears to be.

> Oh look, Mr. Ed is back. I have to admit I couldn't have said it
> better myself.

Yes, I think this is one of the few areas where we agree.

> You might be interested to know that I took a trip to Circuit City and
> BEST BUY the other day, and while each store had only one DVD player
> hooked up (a SONY and a SAMSUNG respectively), both players refused to
> play my Region 2 DVD-R citing "region protection", yet they both played
> my Region 1 disc.
>
> Ready to eat your words yet???

Quite simply, I don't believe you.

The manuals for DVD Studio Pro state in several locations that you can't use
it to burn a DVD-R with region coding. All that is possible is setting the
region code for outputting to CMF/DLT for a replicator to press the disc.

In other words, Apple states in several locations that you can't do what you
say you did.

In addition, it's something I've tested myself both with the Apple
SuperDrive as well as a third party drive.

In the last thread, you had several other people tell you that you can't
burn a DVD-R with region coding as you described.

Gee, I wonder why every replicator that accepts DVD-Rs as masters does
require CMF/DLT for DVDs with CSS, Macrovision or REGION CODING?

--Mr Ed.

Max Volume

In article <BBBCD565.23A8F%(E-Mail Removed)>, MR_ED_of_Course
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Quite simply, I don't believe you.

Then you're hopelessly and persistently ignorant. As Emerson said, "A
foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

> The manuals for DVD Studio Pro state in several locations that you can't use
> it to burn a DVD-R with region coding. All that is possible is setting the
> region code for outputting to CMF/DLT for a replicator to press the disc.
>
> In other words, Apple states in several locations that you can't do what you
> say you did.

Simply put, either you misread it or it's wrong. It worked.

> In addition, it's something I've tested myself both with the Apple
> SuperDrive as well as a third party drive.

Try again.

> In the last thread, you had several other people tell you that you can't
> burn a DVD-R with region coding as you described.

They're wrong.

> Gee, I wonder why every replicator that accepts DVD-Rs as masters does
> require CMF/DLT for DVDs with CSS, Macrovision or REGION CODING?

I'm actually surprised that replicators even accept DVD-Rs.

If you're convinced I'm lying, fine. Would you like me to send you my
Region 2 DVD-R???