Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Black Rain: Special Edition??

Black Rain: Special Edition??

alex crouvier

Since Ridley Scott have done audio commentary for all his main features
with the exception of GI JANE, SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER YOU,
WHITE SQUALL and BLACK RAIN. I have a particular weakness for
the latter even though it has troubling racist undertones AND overtone,
it is still spectacularly photographed and has a great industrial soundtrack
by Hans
Zimmer. Some of the riff was used very often in trailers for other movies in
the last 10
years (remember the teaser for GHOST?)

Any rumors he may actually did a commentary on this one?

john33907@comcast.net

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:46:55 +0800, "alex crouvier"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since Ridley Scott have done audio commentary for all his main features
>with the exception of GI JANE, SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER YOU,
>WHITE SQUALL and BLACK RAIN. I have a particular weakness for
>the latter even though it has troubling racist undertones AND overtone,

Live with it. Sometimes people of different races hate each other.

Pentti Lajunen

"alex crouvier" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Since Ridley Scott have done audio commentary for all his main features
> with the exception of GI JANE, SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER YOU,
> WHITE SQUALL and BLACK RAIN. I have a particular weakness for
> the latter even though it has troubling racist undertones AND overtone,

The most racist character in the movie was Douglas' character
and he wasn't very charming person in the begin with, if you
exclude the weak and standard-for-the-genre-ending.

> Any rumors he may actually did a commentary on this one?

I have a feeling it would also need the director's cut treatment.

--
Paikka on varattu
vali deille

Peter Briggs

alex crouvier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Since Ridley Scott have done audio commentary for all his main features
> with the exception of GI JANE, SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER YOU,
> WHITE SQUALL and BLACK RAIN. I have a particular weakness for
> the latter even though it has troubling racist undertones AND overtone

I love "Black Rain". It's one of my favorites.

And....really? You can't apply the "racist" thing towards the Japanese.
I actually thought it was interesting having a redneck racist Westerner,
pitting against an entire culture that is itself entrenched in its own
racism.

Joshua Zyber

> "alex crouvier" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Since Ridley Scott have done audio commentary for all his main

features
> > with the exception of GI JANE, SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER YOU,
> > WHITE SQUALL and BLACK RAIN.

Scott actually did record a commentary for G.I. Jane that appears on the
laserdisc release of that film. Due to some clerical oversight it wasn't
included on the DVD even though the two discs were released around the
same time as one another.