Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Anyone remember "The Dream Factory"?

Anyone remember "The Dream Factory"?

Sarah Bartholomew

Hi everybody,

Does anyone remember a documentary about Hollywood that was made in the
'70s and called "The Dream Factory"? I saw it when I was a kid and
remember only that I really liked it, and it opened with the Cotton
Blossom riverboat from "Show Boat", first the way it appeared in the
film, with people singing and dancing all over it, then tied up and
abandoned at some pier genteelly rotting away, a forgotten relic of
Hollywood's past. I thought that it would be neat if that documentary
was available on DVD but I can't find it anywhere so I suppose it isn't.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Sarah B.

Seth Schorr

"Sarah Bartholomew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody,
>
> Does anyone remember a documentary about Hollywood that was made in the
> '70s and called "The Dream Factory"? I saw it when I was a kid and
> remember only that I really liked it, and it opened with the Cotton
> Blossom riverboat from "Show Boat", first the way it appeared in the
> film, with people singing and dancing all over it, then tied up and
> abandoned at some pier genteelly rotting away, a forgotten relic of
> Hollywood's past. I thought that it would be neat if that documentary
> was available on DVD but I can't find it anywhere so I suppose it isn't.
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?
>
> Sarah B.

I believe it was narrated by Dick Cavett. I think I saw it within the last
few years on American Movie Classics or Turner Classic Movies.

Heinrich

In article <xrFkb.6201$(E-Mail Removed)> , Seth
Schorr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Sarah Bartholomew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > Does anyone remember a documentary about Hollywood that was made in the
> > '70s and called "The Dream Factory"? I saw it when I was a kid and
> > remember only that I really liked it, and it opened with the Cotton
> > Blossom riverboat from "Show Boat", first the way it appeared in the
> > film, with people singing and dancing all over it, then tied up and
> > abandoned at some pier genteelly rotting away, a forgotten relic of
> > Hollywood's past. I thought that it would be neat if that documentary
> > was available on DVD but I can't find it anywhere so I suppose it isn't.
> > Does this sound familiar to anyone?
> >
> > Sarah B.
> >

> I believe it was narrated by Dick Cavett. I think I saw it within the last
> few years on American Movie Classics or Turner Classic Movies.

Yes it was narrated by Dick Cavett, and was just on American Movie
Classics last week one night. Quite good, I thought!