Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD player for Computer

DVD player for Computer

Rich Jackson

Pardon me if this is not the proper newsgroup for asking this question.
I just bought a new computer. It gives
me three options when I insert a DVD.
1. Windows Media Player
2. Power DVD
3. Inter Actual DVD

How do you all rate these three for features, ease of use, etc? Is
there another program that is better than all three?

Thanks to all who contribute,
Rich Jackson

Biz

Since you dont have to make any of those the default, I recommend you try
each one and see which you prefer.
1. WMP will only play DVDs if you have another piece of DVD playing
software installed, since you have PowerDVD installed, it will also play
DVDs.
2. PowerDVD is a fine app. For me, an app needs to play the movies
well(including picture and sound) and occasionally tolerate some FF/RW,
other than that, it doesnt need to do anything else. I mean co'mon, I put
the movie in to watch didn't I?
3. It s just a front-end that uses the same codecs as PowerDVD in your
case. It will allow you access to special dvd rom only features in certain
cases. I believe only disks that have the Interactual logo(and software on
them) will play with it, so to me it doesnt really count as DVD player
software.
"Rich Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aYlkb.2218$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Pardon me if this is not the proper newsgroup for asking this

question.
> I just bought a new computer. It gives
> me three options when I insert a DVD.
> 1. Windows Media Player
> 2. Power DVD
> 3. Inter Actual DVD
>
> How do you all rate these three for features, ease of use, etc? Is
> there another program that is better than all three?
>
> Thanks to all who contribute,
> Rich Jackson

john33907@comcast.net

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:52:22 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>2. PowerDVD is a fine app. For me, an app needs to play the movies
>well(including picture and sound) and occasionally tolerate some FF/RW,
>other than that, it doesnt need to do anything else. I mean co'mon, I put
>the movie in to watch didn't I?

For some reason my power dvd will not play the alias set
plays everything else fine.

luminos

Power DVD...hands down.

"Rich Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aYlkb.2218$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Pardon me if this is not the proper newsgroup for asking this

question.
> I just bought a new computer. It gives
> me three options when I insert a DVD.
> 1. Windows Media Player
> 2. Power DVD
> 3. Inter Actual DVD
>
> How do you all rate these three for features, ease of use, etc? Is
> there another program that is better than all three?
>
> Thanks to all who contribute,
> Rich Jackson

Colon Terminus

No contest ... Power DVD.
Windows Media Player will work OK as long as you have Power DVD
or something like it installed. Windows Media Player, by itself,
CANNOT play DVDs.

Remove Interactual DVD from your system immediately! It's
spyware/junkware and totally unstable.

"Rich Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aYlkb.2218$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Pardon me if this is not the proper newsgroup for asking

this question.
> I just bought a new computer. It gives
> me three options when I insert a DVD.
> 1. Windows Media Player
> 2. Power DVD
> 3. Inter Actual DVD
>
> How do you all rate these three for features, ease of use,

etc? Is
> there another program that is better than all three?
>
> Thanks to all who contribute,
> Rich Jackson

John C.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:00:40 GMT, "Colon Terminus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Theater Tek.