Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Aquiring Network Address

Aquiring Network Address

Lynn W

Just installed SP2 (first try a few weeks ago failed miserably)
everything seems to be working okay apart from I use the laptop with SP2
on via a Belkin Wireless card. I did a defrag so while I was doing that
I ejected the wireless card when I re-inserted instead of starting up
like it used to do, the new icon I have in the task bar (like a little
monitor screen which tells me about my wireless connection) told me it
was Acquiring Network Address which it never did, so I had to restart
machine. Anyone tell me what the problem is/was and how to rectify it.
Thanks.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email

Simas Kvilius

windows installed second instance of wireless nic, always disable nic before
physically removing it.
"Lynn W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5aiAX$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just installed SP2 (first try a few weeks ago failed miserably)
> everything seems to be working okay apart from I use the laptop with SP2
> on via a Belkin Wireless card. I did a defrag so while I was doing that
> I ejected the wireless card when I re-inserted instead of starting up
> like it used to do, the new icon I have in the task bar (like a little
> monitor screen which tells me about my wireless connection) told me it
> was Acquiring Network Address which it never did, so I had to restart
> machine. Anyone tell me what the problem is/was and how to rectify it.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Please remove spamtrap if replying via email

Lynn W

Can you explain how I'd do that, I don't understand what or where nic
is.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Simas Kvilius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uX0itd$(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]
: >
: > --
: > Lynn
: > Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
: >
: >
:
:

Simas Kvilius

nic is Network Interface Card (network adapter)
--
Best Regards,
Simas Kvilius

"Lynn W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you explain how I'd do that, I don't understand what or where nic
> is.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
> "Simas Kvilius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uX0itd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : windows installed second instance of wireless nic, always disable nic
> before
> : physically removing it.
> : "Lynn W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:e5aiAX$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > Just installed SP2 (first try a few weeks ago failed miserably)
> : > everything seems to be working okay apart from I use the laptop with
> SP2
> : > on via a Belkin Wireless card. I did a defrag so while I was doing
> that
> : > I ejected the wireless card when I re-inserted instead of starting
> up
> : > like it used to do, the new icon I have in the task bar (like a
> little
> : > monitor screen which tells me about my wireless connection) told me
> it
> : > was Acquiring Network Address which it never did, so I had to
> restart
> : > machine. Anyone tell me what the problem is/was and how to rectify
> it.
> : > Thanks.
> : >
> : > --
> : > Lynn
> : > Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Lynn W

I did 'disable' and it actually disabled completely, had to close down
and then reboot and luckily I managed to 'enable' it again. Somehow I
don't think that was my problem

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Simas Kvilius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
: nic is Network Interface Card (network adapter)
: --
: Best Regards,
: Simas Kvilius
: MCP ID# 3468055
:
:
: "Lynn W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > Lynn
: > : > Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

Lynn W

Been in touch with Belkin and they reckon that after installing SP2 I
will need to remove the adapter etc and re-install again so that the
drivers are re-installed

--
[...]

Ian

I've just had the same problem this weekend again with a Belkin NIC

Lynn W wrote:
> Been in touch with Belkin and they reckon that after installing SP2 I
> will need to remove the adapter etc and re-install again so that the
> drivers are re-installed

Lynn W

news:eUDpf.26461$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Lynn W wrote:
: > Been in touch with Belkin and they reckon that after installing SP2
: > will need to remove the adapter etc and re-install again so that the
: > drivers are re-installed
:

Have you sorted it? It only started doing this after I installed SP2.