Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > I'm now convinced that Steven Spielberg is a racist

I'm now convinced that Steven Spielberg is a racist

Goldfinger

I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and his
attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it and
though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.

One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as well
but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.

Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second class
human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.

Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying it
must be taken from a "Chinee".

Vincent Formosa

oh pull your finger out of your arse before you blow up.

have you ever heard about having spoken or written word match the period
views of the day?

many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed 12
people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.

if I was to write a book in which a nazi character says he killed 12 people,
not including jews, does that make me racist? no it doesn't, it means I am
correctly representing a characters viewpoint which in no way means I am a
nazi.

"Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fxUjb.6236021$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

his
> attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

and
> though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
> I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
>
> One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
> Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

well
> but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
> message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
>
> Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
> west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
> the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
> answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
> Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

class
> human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
>
> Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

it
> must be taken from a "Chinee".

---

Goldfinger

"Vincent Formosa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f9017f6$0$385$(E-Mail Removed)...

> many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
> indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed

12
> people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.

I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
in other than for derogatory purpose?

hal

In article <fxUjb.6236021$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

>I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and his
>attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it and
>though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
>I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
>
>One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
>Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as well
>but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
>message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
>
>Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
>west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
>the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
>answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
>Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second class
>human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
>
>Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying it
>must be taken from a "Chinee".

Now, you do know that Robert Zemeckis directed the movie and that Spielberg was
only an executive producer, right?

Picked on the Nazi Germans? Why not pick on the Nazis? Who cares?

This is the stupidest post in this group in a long time.

Hal

Bill Binder

Goldfinger wrote:
> I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
> westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
> this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
> in other than for derogatory purpose?

Ummm. yes they were. The fact that your knowledge of the American 19th
Century is limited to the few movies you've seen doesn't change that.

Bill

Skid

"Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zUUjb.6237057$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
> westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
> this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue

them
> in other than for derogatory purpose?

You need to read a little more history before you make YOURSELF look racist.
Blacks, women, and, yes, Chinese pioneers flocked to the Wild West and
contributed to its culture.

http://www.vikingphoenix.com/public/...esecowboys.htm

http://ceed.wsu.edu/WSU_StudentProje.../rock_lake.htm

http://www.sandiego-online.com/forum...tmls/angel.htm

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online...ws/5views3.htm

http://www.cityviews.org/Museum/Chin...migration.html

In addition to railroad coolies, the Gold Rush drew Chinese immigrants to
California by the hundreds of thousands -- 20,000 in 1852 alone. By 1882,
there were so many Chinese in the West that Congress closed the door to
further immigration. In 1885, white settlers in Wyoming rioted to protest
the number of Chinese living in the state.

Killing buffalo, Indians, blacks, Chinamen and each other was a sport for
many of the gun-happy rowdies of the era. Perhaps Spielberg knows all
this -- even if you don't.

Reginald Dwight

In article <zUUjb.6237057$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
> in other than for derogatory purpose?

Bloody stupid. Perhaps you've never heard of San Francisco?

Richard C.

:
: "Vincent Formosa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:3f9017f6$0$385$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: > many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
: > indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed
: 12
: > people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.
:
: I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
: westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
: this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue them
: in other than for derogatory purpose?
:
===================
You need to get more educated on the "old west".
Chinese were used as "slave" labor and were not considered "people".

luminos

See Blazing Saddles, first scene.

"Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zUUjb.6237057$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vincent Formosa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f9017f6$0$385$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > many rough and tumble cowboys at that time were racist, didn't regard
> > indians or anyone other than white people as people. so the line, killed

> 12
> > people, not including indians or chinese makes sense.

> I heard of cowboys and Indians, cowboys and Indians all the time in
> westerns. But I have never heard of cowboys, Indians and Chinese until
> this. The Chinese simply wasn't a factor in the old west, so why clue

them
> in other than for derogatory purpose?

free2002

pull your finger out

"Goldfinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fxUjb.6236021$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I heard about how he always picked on the Nazi Germans in his films and

his
> attempt to make the racist Geisha movie. I never gave much though to it

and
> though people were just being overly sensitive. However, last night after
> I've watched BTTF III, I was convinced that he is indeed a racist.
>
> One line early in the film is that "Tennan killed 12 men, not including
> Indians and Chinese". A lot of Western films have the "Indian" part as

well
> but this is supposed to be a family film. He's essentially sending a
> message to the kids that the Indians were savages in the old west.
>
> Then, how do the Chinese get into this? The Chinese were sent to the old
> west to build railroads and they never got involved in the figths between
> the cowboys and the Indians. Why would Tennan should some Chinese? The
> answer is he most likely wouldn't and so wouldn't most cowboys. What
> Spielberg does is degrading the Indians and the Chinese into a second

class
> human being, apart from the cowboys and settlers.
>
> Later, one cowboy makes fun of Michael J. Fox's western outfit by saying

it
> must be taken from a "Chinee".

---